Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painisthepurifier
    replied
    BTW, Athing illness is a tidy reminder that Covid is still very much with us and that it could ruin an athletes chance to perform their best on the big occasion. For example, had Athing caught Covid at the time if the World Championship it would probably have ruined her gold medal chances.
    Last edited by painisthepurifier; 28-05-22, 10:29.

Leave a comment:

• painisthepurifier
    replied
    Originally posted by Walsh7 View Post
    Olympic 800 meter champion Athing Mu says the reason she pulled out of this weekend's 800m at the Prefontaine Classic is that she recently got COVID..... "Unfortunately, I got Covid, and I'm still getting back into my rhythm of things, so I will NOT be toeing the line at Prefontaine this year!"
    Well, that statement must have appeared recently, and maybe only in response to criticism.

Leave a comment:

• Walsh7
    replied
    Olympic 800 meter champion Athing Mu says the reason she pulled out of this weekend's 800m at the Prefontaine Classic is that she recently got COVID..... "Unfortunately, I got Covid, and I'm still getting back into my rhythm of things, so I will NOT be toeing the line at Prefontaine this year!"

Leave a comment:

• marilyn1
    replied
    The field events, except the shot, will be held tonight , after consultation with the athletes; clearly the awful conditions for tomorrow will affect all the track results. At least we can remind the fans and posters in the States need not to be so sneery about conditions over here..

Leave a comment:

• marilyn1
    replied
    Jacobs said straight away that he was injured.

Leave a comment:

• marilyn1
    replied
    Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post
    There seems to be a theme developing this year of big name athletes making last minute decisions to drop out of show piece races in top meetings. ETH dropped out of the Birmingham DL, then made an unexpected appearance at a track meet in Jamaica where she ran virtually unopposed.

Athing Mu doing the same thing, especially when going up against such quality opposition as Keely, is a massive disappointment for athletics fans around the world.
    i have made my views very clear on T and F Forum and the many views expressed are very split on Mu's non appearance; i think that if any athlete, particularly a top athlete of note, or anybody for that matter, should at least say they are ill or injured; they dont in my book have to give full details, but failure to say anything is arrogant and rather American. If one is a pro , behave like one.

Leave a comment:

• treadwater1
    replied
    And of course Mu (or A N Other) or the organisers not giving a reason regarding her withdrawal it sets tongues wagging, shes damned if she does, damned if she doesn’t

Leave a comment:

• treadwater1
    replied
    I think it must be tricky for athletes to give reasons as to why they’re pulling out of an event when they don’t feel 100%. If she was slightly concerned about losing to Hodgkinson, she’s not going to say so, but if she says she’s got a niggle when she hasn’t it’s effectively lying and could give a psychological boost to rivals going into her next competition. ETH pulling out last week with shoulder discomfort was a classic fudge.

I’m prepared to cut Mu some slack, she is still very young and has been cast headlong into the spotlight. Remember Mu was injured indoors so may have had training plans interrupted or a reoccurrence of the previous problem.

Leave a comment:

• RunUnlimited
    replied
    There seems to be a theme developing this year of big name athletes making last minute decisions to drop out of show piece races in top meetings. ETH dropped out of the Birmingham DL, then made an unexpected appearance at a track meet in Jamaica where she ran virtually unopposed.

Athing Mu doing the same thing, especially when going up against such quality opposition as Keely, is a massive disappointment for athletics fans around the world.

Leave a comment:

• LuckySpikes
    replied
    Yeah, I don't see why she or the organisers won't/can't explain her withdrawal. She has to realise that she's not a Kate Grace or Shannon Osika who don't put bums on seats at big meetings - no disrespect to those two fine athletes, I'd go and see them if they were racing at a meeting near me!

Meanwhile, on the T&FN forum I got called "overoptimistic" for saying the Keely vs Mu race at Pre would have been very close and could have gone either way. My reasoning being ... we know Keely has come on this year with that indoor 1:57.2, but we don't know if Mu has improved - that 1:22.7 at 600 isn't evidence she has because she could have run that last year (she ran 1:23.5 indoors 3 years ago before she was the big 800m star).
    But the homers on there can't envisage a scenario where Mu ever loses another race in her career!
    Last edited by LuckySpikes; 27-05-22, 21:55.

Leave a comment:

• Eugene Diamond League Women's 800m Controversy

There is some controversy at the moment over Athing Mu's non-appearance in the Prefontaine 800m. Of course, this was a much anticipated clash involving the three medalists from last years Olympics...and others. Now some fans are saying that Athing should have explained her non-appearance to track fans who, for example, might have bought tickets just to see Athing but others feel she is not obliged to give any reasons for her "no show". Now, say Keely had informed the organisers 4 four days previous to the recent Birmingham Diamond League meeting that she wouldn't be turning up with no further explanation would that be acceptable? BTW, if Athing called in sick, it hasn't been announced by the Eugene Organisers. What do we think?
Working...
X