Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Outdoors

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by Ursus View Post
    Massive 22.74 from Crouser to take him 6th on the all time list. The 5 above him were set in 90, 2 in 88, 87 and 75.
    And those five performances above Crouser were either done by athletes actively drug cheating, or were banned at some point of their careers, or achieved those marks before out-of-competition drug testing became a mandatory requirement of the IAAF... or, if we're being *really* generous, they were *at least* suspected of being cheats but were never caught during their careers.

    Would it be entirely inaccurate to consider Crouser's new mark as the "real" world shot put record then?

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post

      Not *that* Tom Jones silly!

      On to the actually action... That time from Miller-Uibo is the fastest 400m run *ever* before the month of June.... Methinks it's going to be a two way fight for the gold in Doha between Miller-Uibo and Qatari star Eid Naser in the 400m. Can't see anybody else in the world coming close to those two this year.

      And Duplantis going close to 6m at the TCU Invitational shows he's already up to speed this early in the outdoor season. This world championship year is going to be pretty special if ya ask me.
      it is certainly showing some remarkably good performances for April. Some world class athletes have decided on early tryouts with, i suspect, a nice long training spell before high summer return for this years WC.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post

        And those five performances above Crouser were either done by athletes actively drug cheating, or were banned at some point of their careers, or achieved those marks before out-of-competition drug testing became a mandatory requirement of the IAAF... or, if we're being *really* generous, they were *at least* suspected of being cheats but were never caught during their careers.

        Would it be entirely inaccurate to consider Crouser's new mark as the "real" world shot put record then?
        Clearly a strong argument for that.

        No fluke either, he also had a 22.73 in his series.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by Ursus View Post

          Clearly a strong argument for that.

          No fluke either, he also had a 22.73 in his series.
          Re-upping my comment to sub in the appropriate shot putters with their descriptors...

          And those five performances above Crouser were either done by athletes actively drug cheating (Randy Barnes, obviously and probably Ulf Timmerman due to being a GDR athlete and their state doping program back in the 80's), or were banned at some point of their careers (Randy Barnes again) , or achieved those marks before out-of-competition drug testing became a mandatory requirement of the IAAF (Brian Oldfield)... or, if we're being *really* generous, they were *at least* suspected of being cheats but were never caught during their careers (Alessandro Andrei, Werner Gunthor).

          Comment


          • trickstat
            trickstat commented
            Editing a comment
            Also, Oldfield's mark was done as a professional when the sport was (officially at least) strictly amateur. It was also done in 1975 when I think there was actually very little in competition testing being done.

        • #65
          Stacked fields in the 5000s and 10,000s at the Payton Jordan Invitational tomorrow night, particularly on the women's side, and especially in the women's 10,000 - https://www.flotrack.org/events/6363...tional/entries

          Sifan Hassan is set to make her 10,000 debut. Also, several British women - Arter, Avery, McColgan, Nesbitt & Wright - are chasing the WCh standard, 31:50, which is tougher than recent years.

          In the men's 5000, a few Brits including Butchart & O'Hare are going up against Kejelcha. The standard for that is 13:22.50.

          Marc Scott & Luke Traynor are in the 10,000. Again the standard is tougher than usual - 27:40.

          Comment


          • #66
            Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
            Stacked fields in the 5000s and 10,000s at the Payton Jordan Invitational tomorrow night, particularly on the women's side, and especially in the women's 10,000 - https://www.flotrack.org/events/6363...tional/entries

            Sifan Hassan is set to make her 10,000 debut. Also, several British women - Arter, Avery, McColgan, Nesbitt & Wright - are chasing the WCh standard, 31:50, which is tougher than recent years.

            In the men's 5000, a few Brits including Butchart & O'Hare are going up against Kejelcha. The standard for that is 13:22.50.

            Marc Scott & Luke Traynor are in the 10,000. Again the standard is tougher than usual - 27:40.
            Wright 31:56, McColgan DNF
            Butchart 13:18, O'Hare nowhere
            Scott 2nd in 27:56, Traynor DNF

            Comment


            • #67
              Originally posted by ibarnett01 View Post

              Wright 31:56, McColgan DNF
              Butchart 13:18, O'Hare nowhere
              Scott 2nd in 27:56, Traynor DNF
              Yes, McColgan buckled rather easily after they reached halfway in 15:53 and the pace picked up slightly around 6000m. Didn't see her drop out but it seems to have been around the 8000m mark.
              Good 19s PB bounceback for Alice Wright after a couple of disappointing half marathons this year. Unfortunately she & Marc Scott were both a bit short of the WCh standard. Disappointed that both Arter & Avery didn't start.

              However, also joing Butchart with a WCh standard was Britain's Amy-Eloise Neale (US-based after leaving Washington Uni last year) - a 15:21 PB, just a click behind Jenny Simpson & Rachel Schneider.
              Last edited by LuckySpikes; 04-05-19, 17:46.

              Comment


              • #68
                Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

                Yes, McColgan buckled rather easily after they reached halfway in 15:53 and the pace picked up slightly around 6000m. Didn't see her drop out but it seems to have been around the 8000m mark.
                In McColgan’s own words....

                https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/48160304

                We only see the performance, not the story.

                Comment


                • #69
                  Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

                  Good 19s PB bounceback for Alice Wright after a couple of disappointing half marathons this year.
                  worth noting she’s a pro now with bills to pay and sponsor obligations to meet. I doubt those sub-par performances were events she specifically prepared for given that she’s clearly got intentions to have a good go at the track this year.

                  Comment


                  • #70
                    Originally posted by Ursus View Post

                    In McColgan’s own words....

                    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/48160304

                    We only see the performance, not the story.
                    Yes, I saw that last night and was going to post it this morning but you beat me to it.

                    Comment


                    • #71
                      On Instagram have picked up an 11.17 pb over the 100m for Jodie Williams in Texas and a 22.46 200m (+2.9). Big improvement over the shorter distance should bode well for the 200 (although still think she could be best over 400m!)

                      Comment


                      • #72
                        78.63 CBP from Harry Hughes at BUCS.

                        Comment


                        • #73
                          Sophie McKinna's 18.23m shot put earlier today makes her the first women's GB shot putter since Judy Oakes won gold at the Commonwealth Games in 1998, to throw over 18 metres! That's a world championship qualifying distance!

                          Comment


                          • #74
                            Grant Holloway beaten in the 110H at the SEC Championships by the guy who ran him close at NCAAs indoors, Daniel Roberts (Kentucky) - 13.07 to 13.12 (+1.0). Holloway had run 13.07 in the heats so both are now tied for #2 all-time in the NCAA behind Nehemiah's 13.00.

                            Comment


                            • #75
                              Among "less-informed quarters" there was some debate about whether Shaunae MIller-Uibo deliberately dived over the finish line in Rio.

                              However, there'll be no debate about the "deliberateness" of this finish by Infinite Tucker in the 400H at the SEC Championships. Watch it to believe it! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPPHXktKCnk

                              Comment


                              • Johannes Factotum
                                Johannes Factotum commented
                                Editing a comment
                                By less-informed, you mean arrogant Americans who were butthurt that their favourite lost so wanted to cry cheater.

                                To this day, I disrespect Allyson Felix for not quelling the vitriol that Shaunae got on social media that night. All it would have taken was one tweet, but she showed herself as the sore loser she truly is. I always knew there was something about her that didn't sit with me, but that situation confirmed it!
                            Working...
                            X