Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Outdoors

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by jjimbojames View Post
    I’m not sure Prescod will look to double at the World’s - he’s been quite clear at managing a long term process. I think he wants to win the 100m title this year and then build. I hope Gemili focuses on the 200m at the WC but does the 100m at meets to keep speed - that relay leg showed the strength is there. I think Hughes will look to double, so it’s then one spot for NMB/Francis over 200m and a pretty open 100m third spot.

    Relay places will be hard to come by, if everyone’s fit, but a squad involving four from Hughes, Gemili, Prescod, NMB, Ujah and Edoburun will be very tough to beat. I would like to see a few more long relay legs by Hughes, Gemili and Francis, as including one or two of them will likely add strength to any final foursome we have
    Mitchell-Blake has won the 200 at the last 2 British trials and seems to raise his game pretty well so I’d say there’s a good chance he’ll get an automatic spot. The final could be spectacular if all are fit - NMB, Gemili, Hughes, Talbot, Francis, Efoloko and Dodson makes for good reading.

    I think any of our sprinters looking to double will have to do both events at the trials, I can’t see the selectors giving even Dasher a discretionary slot with the likely 6/7/8 we’re likely to have with the standard

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post

      Mitchell-Blake has won the 200 at the last 2 British trials and seems to raise his game pretty well so I’d say there’s a good chance he’ll get an automatic spot. The final could be spectacular if all are fit - NMB, Gemili, Hughes, Talbot, Francis, Efoloko and Dodson makes for good reading.

      I think any of our sprinters looking to double will have to do both events at the trials, I can’t see the selectors giving even Dasher a discretionary slot with the likely 6/7/8 we’re likely to have with the standard
      The men are more closely matched so anyone looking to double would probably have to double at trials. Dina is a class above our other women even though there is good depth. No way would they pick anyone else for the 3rd spot. She will have the luxury of picking & choosing what event she does at trials.

      Comment


      • #48
        Norman ran 400m in 43.45 at Mt Sac with hurdler Rai benjamin second in 44.31 Record for April beating MJ's previous and Odurodu of Nigeria ran a 9.94 (legal???) and 19.76 ?.

        Comment


        • #49
          Norman’s splits from Twitter:

          100 - 10.8
          200 - 20.9 (10.1)
          300 - 31.9 (11)
          400 - 43.45 (11.55)

          Very even splits, Norman covered the last 100 quicker than WvN in his WR run. To think that Wariner dominated the event for years and Norman has just equalled his best time in a season opener

          Comment


          • #50
            I hope that a) WVN regains full fitness and b) he doesn't dodge Norman so that they face-off at least 2 or 3 times before World Champs.

            Sadly, I think the chances of both those things happening are remote.

            Comment


            • #51
              i seem to recall some of the experts on TFN at the time of VNs knee injury that he would be very lucky to return to his outstanding quality of 2016 again after such a freak damaging accident.

              Comment


              • #52
                Day 2 of the Asian Championships in Doha is complete.

                Good to see some of the "minor nations" getting gold medals today - Vietnam (W 400H), Kuwait (M 400), Uzbekistan (M TJ) and Chinese Taipei (M Jav).

                Also, 3 World Leads today - Samba making 47.51 look routine in the 400H, Abdalla (QAT) 1:44.33 in the 800 and Cheng 86.72 in the Javelin. He's the guy who threw 91m at the 2017 Universiade.

                12-toed Swapna Barman (IND) lies 3rd after Day 1 of the Heptathlon, about 40-50 points down on the leader.

                The organisers have a lot of work to do to fill that stadium in October! Even with Samba competing today there can't have been more than 300 spectators there.

                Comment


                • #53
                  https://www.iaaf.org/news/news/shang...ssan-chepkoech - Bigging up the Men's 5000 like that ... someone on the Shanghai organising committee is going to receive a cease-and-desist letter from Mr Coe!

                  Incidentally, it's a re-match of the top 3 from that epic 5000 in Brussels last year. Will it provide the fireworks again?

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Some impressive times and marks at the Asian Championships, conditions look optimal for the WCs, if the big players can maintain form until October we could see some very quick races. The crowds though... the less said the better

                    Good to see India have found another world class javelin thrower.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post
                      Some impressive times and marks at the Asian Championships, conditions look optimal for the WCs, if the big players can maintain form until October we could see some very quick races. The crowds though... the less said the better

                      Good to see India have found another world class javelin thrower.
                      Eh, I'm sure when it comes time for the World Champs, the crowds will be there Treadwater.... though whether we'll see the big crowds that we saw in the morning sessions like we did at London 2017 is certainly a doubt.

                      If the crowds *don't* come though, then it would reinforce my own personal belief that the WC should never have been awarded to Doha in the first place.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        49.05 for Shaunae Miller-Uibo at the Tom Jones Memorial in Gainesville (I didn't even know he'd died!)

                        https://www.iaaf.org/news/report/mil...-duplantis-594

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
                          49.05 for Shaunae Miller-Uibo at the Tom Jones Memorial in Gainesville (I didn't even know he'd died!)

                          https://www.iaaf.org/news/report/mil...-duplantis-594
                          Not *that* Tom Jones silly!

                          On to the actually action... That time from Miller-Uibo is the fastest 400m run *ever* before the month of June.... Methinks it's going to be a two way fight for the gold in Doha between Miller-Uibo and Qatari star Eid Naser in the 400m. Can't see anybody else in the world coming close to those two this year.

                          And Duplantis going close to 6m at the TCU Invitational shows he's already up to speed this early in the outdoor season. This world championship year is going to be pretty special if ya ask me.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Big DT PB for Greg Thompson in winning the Penn Relays with 65.56.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              That’s a great improvement! Well done to him.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Massive 22.74 from Crouser to take him 6th on the all time list. The 5 above him were set in 90, 2 in 88, 87 and 75.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X