No announcement yet.

2019 Outdoors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago fields confirmed - Farah & Rupp will run again against a strong field - https://www.letsrun.com/news/2019/08...could-be-epic/

Chicago is a week after Doha so that puts paid to the idea that Mo might run the 10,000 in Doha.

The New York fields whilst we're here - https://www.letsrun.com/news/2019/08...nd-jared-ward/

Comment

• Originally posted by hemlock View Post

Can I just bump this post from May? I found myself thinking the same ridiculous thoughts yesterday.
      Who is SMU more afraid of? Nasser or Dasher. (Answer: Dasher.)
      SMU traditionally doesnt drop much at a Championship, whereas Dina drops a lot and ET drops a tonne, so I am starting to agree - I think the 200 would be far closer in Doha that it was tonight if SMU ran.

Comment

• After an awful couple of years could Julius Yego be sneaking up on the rails? Last 3 comps have been 81, 84 and on Friday 87.73. Would be great to see him properly back.

As further evidence of the damage the spear wreaks, I've just realised that I haven't heard anything about WJR holder Neeraj Chopra for a while. And sure enough he hasn't thrown at all this year - elbow surgery.

Comment

• LuckySpikes
          LuckySpikes commented
          Editing a comment
          Olympic Champion Sara Kolak also rounding into form? She had an inconsistent series in Zagreb but she threw 66.42 (a SB by 1.5m) backed up with a 65.82. It seems she's coached by Andreas Thorkildsen now - he was there behind the barriers giving her advice.

• A couple of European meeting cancellations - the Guadalajara meeting that was due to take place today was cancelled back in July; Also the Rieti meeting due on the 8th has been cancelled.

Comment

• Bump (due to spam)

Comment

• Am I reading this right? On the AW Twitter page they are reporting that world triple jump champion Yulimar Rojas last night jumped 15.41m (+1.5 m/s) in Andujar, Spain! Goes to 2nd on the world all time list, now just 9cm behind Inessa Kravets 15.50m WR, set in the 1995 World Championships in Gothenburg. (Of course, the same championships where Jonathan Edwards had broken the men's equivalent a few days earlier.)

Comment

• Very impressive!

Comment

• Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post
                Am I reading this right? On the AW Twitter page they are reporting that world triple jump champion Yulimar Rojas last night jumped 15.41m (+1.5 m/s) in Andujar, Spain! Goes to 2nd on the world all time list, now just 9cm behind Inessa Kravets 15.50m WR, set in the 1995 World Championships in Gothenburg. (Of course, the same championships where Jonathan Edwards had broken the men's equivalent a few days earlier.)
                the results of that meet are on trackinsun; note the return of the grenadian olympic champ after injury 44.45 not bad.

Comment

• Video of Rojas's jump at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38fm9h3d-QE

It amazes me how she goes so far with such a "flat" 2nd phase (probably not the right technical term!)

Comment

• Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
                    Video of Rojas's jump at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38fm9h3d-QE

It amazes me how she goes so far with such a "flat" 2nd phase (probably not the right technical term!)
                    I think its easy for people to forget that Rojas is freakishly tall.... Christian Taylor is roughly 6'3" in height, Rojas is 6'4"! So those loooong legs tend to give her a rather languid, almost ponderous, action when she is on the runway. And then she jumps in and you wonder just *how* she's landed over 15 meters!

Comment

• In the Prague 10km road race today, it was a historic race on both the men's and women's side. First, the women:

1. Sheila Chepkirui Kiprotich 29.57 (joint #2 All-Time)
                      2. Dorcas Kimeli 29.57 (joint #2 A-T)
                      3. Norah Jeruto 30.07 (#6 A-T)

Before this race only one woman had gone sub-30 on a record-eligible course - Joyciline Jepkosgei's 29:43 two years ago on this same course.

The Madrid New Year's Eve race where Brigid Kosgei & Hellen Obiri both ran just sub-30 last year has too much elevation drop to be record-eligible.

After Lonah Salpeter ran 30:05 in Tilburg last weekend it means that 4 of the 6 fastest times ever have been run in the last 7 days.

Geoffrey Koech won the men's in 27.03, leading home 5 men sub-27:30. That's the first time that's ever happened. In fact there's never been a road race before this where even 4 men have gone sub-27:30.

Comment

• Holy smokes! 64:28 for Brigid Kosgei at the GNR today, smashing Mary Keitany's course record by 1:11. That's the fastest half marathon by a woman ever but ... ...

Great run by Charlotte Purdue in 5th with 68:10, the 3rd fastest half by a British woman, and not far behind Mary Keitany & the Masai sisters today.

Mo Farah won his 6th GNR in his fastest time, 59:06.

Poor reporting by the BBC who are calling Kosgei's run a World Record. Of course, it's not because the GNR has a significant elevation drop as well as not fulfilling the requirement for the distance between the start & finish lines. Crammy & Paula were getting muddled up too, crediting people with National Records and PBs.

Comment

• Signs of normal service being resumed. 90.03 from Vetter to win The Match.

Comment

• Which nation is better at The mHT, Poland or GB?

Well, Nowicki and Fajdek are 2019’s only 2 80m men, so it’s obvs the Poles, right? Miller’s our top guy ranked 7th with 78m.

Yet after the top 2 the Poles drop away dramatically in a way I simply wouldn’t have guessed. According to the IAAF top lists their 3rd ranked thrower, and only other man over 70, is 84th with 72m, a distance exceeded by 5 Brits. Astonishingly we have more men over 70m (9) than the Poles have over 60m (8). In aggregate we have 19 over 60m.

.The Poles are likely to waltz away from Doha with a medal or 2. We probably won’t yet I see our strength in depth as much healthier. It’s not all about the medals.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ursus View Post
                              Which nation is better at The mHT, Poland or GB?

Well, Nowicki and Fajdek are 2019’s only 2 80m men, so it’s obvs the Poles, right? Miller’s our top guy ranked 7th with 78m.

Yet after the top 2 the Poles drop away dramatically in a way I simply wouldn’t have guessed. According to the IAAF top lists their 3rd ranked thrower, and only other man over 70, is 84th with 72m, a distance exceeded by 5 Brits. Astonishingly we have more men over 70m (9) than the Poles have over 60m (8). In aggregate we have 19 over 60m.

.The Poles are likely to waltz away from Doha with a medal or 2. We probably won’t yet I see our strength in depth as much healthier. It’s not all about the medals.
                              It's gone somewhat under the radar this, but as you say if you were talking about the men's hammer in terms of strength in depth this season, then Great Britain is surprisingly right up there with some of the traditional powerhouse nations in the discipline. My "cut-off" point for world class hammer throwing is 73m and above, and Britain has five men who have achieved that this year. That's pretty darned respectable, as Belarus have six who have achieved that, the USA also have six (five of them have thrown over 76 meters), Hungary has four and Ukraine has four (three of them throwing 76m+).

Also have to point out the age of some our hammer throwers too, with Nick Miller, Jones and Murch all aged 27 and entering their prime years, while Taylor Campbell is 23 and was not far away from getting the Doha standard. Bennett is the only one there who is entering his 30's, which bodes well for the future of the hammer here in Britain. Throw in WJ champ Jake Norris (20), Bayley Campbell (19), Joseph Ellis (23) and Jac Palmer (23), and you can see then makings of future major championship finalists, and maybe even a few medalists, in that group for the next decade.

Comment

Working...
                              X