No announcement yet.

2019 Outdoors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yulimar Rojas with a new NR & CR - 15.11 (+0.6m/s)! Ibarguen was a DNS after her disappointing 5th in the LJ a couple of nights ago.

Luis Zayas, the young Cuban winner of the High Jump (2.30m), was getting coaching from the stands by the great man himself, Javier Sotomayor.

They've wheeled out many of the legends of Pan American athletics to present the medals over the last few days - Alberto Juantorena, Ana Guevara, Carl Lewis, Maria Caridad Colon, Sotomayor & Ximena Ristrepo amongst them.

Comment

• In the marathons, 14 days ago, the hosts Peru won the first 2 athletics Gold medals of these Pan American Games. But, they had to wait until the last individual event of the stadium athletics to win another medal, Mario Bazan getting bronze in the Steeple tonight.

A thoroughly enjoyable 5 days of competition - I'd definitely recommend you all watch the next edition in October 2023 taking place in Santiago, Chile (you can catch up with this Lima edition via the archived streams on Youtube).

A shame it's all over, save for the 50km Walks tomorrow. The crowds were numerous, loud and enthusiastic and the coverage on the world feed was excellent. I thought the young American woman commentating on the field events did pretty well after what seemed to be first night nerves on day 1 of the action. Maybe it was her first professional commentary job? She got much better as the week went on, imparted some good background info on the athletes and was enthusiastic. Crucially, she was very good at pronouncing foreign names which often isn't the case with American commentators!

So, not long actually until the next major championships - the African Games in Rabat, which will also be shown on the Olympic Channel website. The athletics for that starts on 26th August.

Comment

• Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post

I've been watching, and really should have commented about some of the results myself. It's been of an been a pretty good standard overall but a combo of the slow-ish track you mentioned and the cool Peruvian weather conditions, have combined to put a bit of bind on times and distances in the explosive sprints and jumps.
        some excellent performances from South and Carrribean American athletes; wonder if the old "better in your own backyard" applies we will find out soon enough. Caught the eye with a new Cuban tripler with silver behind Craddock and a guy from Canada who golded in the 800m in 1.44.25, beating the two home athletes; .
        certainly would be refreshing if, in Doha, the Pan Americans on the South American continent progress further, together with the Asians.

Comment

• I’ve never understood why the Pan-American games didn’t take place a year earlier so the cycle would be 2014,2018,2022 etc. There’s no athletics or swimming world championships in those years and would naturally give US athletes something to aim for instead of having a down year.

Gwen Berry put a fist in the air ala Smith and Carlos at the medal ceremony and another athlete in fencing took the knee during their ceremony. What chance more protests like this in Doha?

Comment

• LuckySpikes
            LuckySpikes commented
            Editing a comment
            History I suppose ... In those "off years" you mention there are the South American Games and the Central American & Caribbean Games so it would mean moving them.

• Ladyloz
            Ladyloz commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe not in Doha but it feels like there will likely be protests in Tokyo next year. We will be well into the 2020 election campaign by then.

Will be interesting to see how the IOC react. Technically there could be.serious repercussions but the optics won't look good if they treat athletes too harshly. Smith & Carlos are ultimately remembered as heroes and on the right side of history even though they were badly treated at the time & for several years afterwards, whereas Avery Brundage just looks like the reactionary old fool that he was.

• Originally posted by philipo View Post

some excellent performances from South and Carrribean American athletes; wonder if the old "better in your own backyard" applies we will find out soon enough. Caught the eye with a new Cuban tripler with silver behind Craddock and a guy from Canada who golded in the 800m in 1.44.25, beating the two home athletes; .
          certainly would be refreshing if, in Doha, the Pan Americans on the South American continent progress further, together with the Asians.
          Yes, Jordan Diaz in the TJ - just 18yo and jumping 17.38! Crazy!

The two that Marco Arop beat in the 800 - Vasquez and Sanchez - are from Puerto Rico ... ... PUR not PER.

Comment

• Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

Yes, Jordan Diaz in the TJ - just 18yo and jumping 17.38! Crazy!

The two that Marco Arop beat in the 800 - Vasquez and Sanchez - are from Puerto Rico ... ... PUR not PER.
            I'm surprised people are "surprised" by Jordan Diaz. He was the kid who shattered the world youth record at the last ever edition of the World Youth Games in Nairobi in 2017, aged just 15. If you think jumping 17.38m aged 18 is "crazy", Diaz set his U-18 record with 17.30m as a 15 year old!
            I knew then he was a special talent and he went on to win last year's World Juniors in Tampere just as easily.

Comment

• Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post

I'm surprised people are "surprised" by Jordan Diaz. He was the kid who shattered the world youth record at the last ever edition of the World Youth Games in Nairobi in 2017, aged just 15. If you think jumping 17.38m aged 18 is "crazy", Diaz set his U-18 record with 17.30m as a 15 year old!
              I knew then he was a special talent and he went on to win last year's World Juniors in Tampere just as easily.
              just being forgetful !!

Comment

• Good women's 1500 in Szczecin earlier on. Five Europeans under 4:06, three of them with PBs and Doha standards -
                1. Darya Barysevich (BLR) 4:05.13
                2. Yolande Ngarambe (SWE) 4:05.18 PB
                3. Caterina Granz (GER) 4:05.60 PB
                4. Esther Guerrero (ESP) 4:05.70 PB
                5. Marta Perez (ESP) 4:05.85 SB

-----------------------------------

Some good fields at the Gothenburg GP tomorrow - https://admin.rosterathletics.io/pdf...StartLists.pdf

I hope Dai Greene knows that he's been entered for this one!

Live stream on Vinco from 5pm.
                Last edited by LuckySpikes; 15-08-19, 20:52.

Comment

• Some great lineups for the Birmingham GP, 6 of the 100 lineup could make the final in Doha. But some others are poor by diamond league standards

Comment

• Coleman and Amy Hunt pull out of Birmingham, remember how many pulled out of London at the last minute

Comment

• Two weeks ago in Bern Kalle Berglund broke the 34 year old Swedish NR in the 1500 with 3:36.07. Tonight in the Gothenburg GP he won and improved the record again to 3.34.89.

Unsurprisingly, Duplantis won the PV, 5.90.

After looking a little bit out of sorts at the Euro U20 Champs 18yo Mariana Machado (POR) finished 4th in the 3000, going sub-9 for the first time, 8:58.61.

Francena McCocory ran 54.91. No, she hasn't converted to the 400 Hurdles. That was her time in the flat 400 tonight!

There was carnage in the women's 800 with 150m to go. Jenna Westaway, in 3rd at the time, was clipped from behind by Ciara Mageean and went down and then Mari Smith tripped over Mageean.

Tobias Montler (SWE) won the LJ with 8.17. He's dropped the Nilsson from his name. Shara Proctor also won, 6.56. Young Swedish sensation Tilde Johansson was out of sorts with a best of only 6.27.

Comment

• Way to go Japan! Two national records in the long jump yesterday, first Hashioka jumped 8.32 then his teammate Shiroyama jumped 8.40, which is second best in the world this year

Comment

• Anyone interested in live streaming (on YouTube) of the Ukrainian Championships from tomorrow through to Friday? If anyone replies "yes" I will add the details to the Live Streaming Links thread.

Comment

• Paul Tanui's run of winning a medal in the 10,000 at the last 4 global championships will go no further as he DNF'd at the Kenyan trials for the event.

In the women's race Alice Aprot was a big name to also miss out on the Doha team. She was just 12th.

Comment

• https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sp...ugs-tests.html

It's the Daily Fail, but his pulling out of Birmingham was suspect.

Comment

Working...
                              X