No announcement yet.

2019 Outdoors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The stadium athletics at the Pan American Games in Lima starts tomorrow, continuing through to the weekend.

Some of the biggest names in the sport are competing, e.g., Steven Gardiner, Echevarria, Dacres, Fraser-Pryce, Elaine Thompson, Miller-Uibo, Ibarguen vs Rojas in the TJ (& Ibarguen in the LJ too).

So, there might be a few blow-outs but, on the whole, it looks set for good competition. In general, the USA are sending athletes who are say 4th, 5th or 6th best in the country. However, Canada have selected many of their best. So, that alone provides some good match-ups. Jamaica are also sending a strong team and the other nations have selected most/all of their best athletes. There's good world ranking points on the line!

Entry lists at https://wrsd.lima2019.pe/PAG2019/en/...rt-entries.htm
    Events above 800m will be straight finals.

There's only 2 athletes per country per event. I wonder if that was instituted to prevent the USA sweeping the podiums?

It will all be live streamed - later today I'll post the details in the Live Streaming Links thread.
    Last edited by LuckySpikes; 05-08-19, 10:55.

Comment

• Tatjana Pinto completed the 100/200m sprint double on Sunday, running a PB of 22.65 (+0.9 m/s) as she won the 200m title in confident fashion. In 2nd place also booking her place to Doha was Lisa Marie Kwayie, who ran sub 23 seconds for the first time in clocking 22.88, below the World Championship qualifying standard (23.02).

In the highly anticipated men's javelin, with 5 men who have thrown over 84 meters this year already (and Johannes Vetter already pre-selected as the reigning World Champion so not in attendance), there was always going to be someone who was going to miss out. And the unlucky man was Bernhard Seifert who coming into this event was the #2 ranked German this year and #4 in Europe overall with his 89.09m PB from earlier in the summer. He could only manage a subpar 79.32m throw as his best effort and finished in 4th place and out of the reckoning for Doha selection.
      The German champion ended up being Andreas Hoffman with his winning throw of 87.07 coming in the final round. In 2nd place was Julian Weber, 2016 Olympic finalist, who's 86.60m throw, also in the sixth and final round, was a season's best. Finally, in 3rd place and taking the 4th overall world championship spot, was Thomas Rohler. The 2016 Olympic and 2018 European champion, threw a best of 82.70m, again in the last round, to secure his place on the plane to Doha.

Comment

• And another goes over 22m ...

At the weekend Bob Bertemes added a whopping 93cm to his Luxembourg NR in the Shot, setting a new mark of 22.22. That's the 2nd longest throw by a European this century and #7 on the European all-time list.

He's improved every season since his first recorded marks on the IAAF site in 2010 and since the end of the 2017 season he's added 2.04m to his PB!
        Last edited by LuckySpikes; 05-08-19, 20:54.

Comment

• Sally Pearson has retired - injuries too much. Shame, as a real fighter of an athlete - loved her post-race interview in Beijing!

Comment

• She was a great athlete, but I'm not surprised she's retiring now.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjimbojames View Post
              Sally Pearson has retired - injuries too much. Shame, as a real fighter of an athlete - loved her post-race interview in Beijing!
              Sprint hurdles aren’t really my thing, but always enjoyed watching Sally.

She first really registered with me over her 100m DQ in the 2010 CG. Remember her being upset but handling it with good grace.

Comment

• Alanx7
                Alanx7 commented
                Editing a comment
                Sally Pearson, straight talking. Lot to be said for that....

• Nothing seen from Sophie Hitchon since she nm'd on 11th June. Only other performance was 67.51 in May.

I know it's an odd season, but still.

Comment

• Pearson will be sorely missed, a gutsy competitor on the track and good fun off it. Most said she would struggle to get back to the top tier after several years injured but that gold in 2017 is the best I’ve seen from an athlete coming back from injury. A real rollercoaster towards the end of he career with the highs of London, then missing out on the commonwealths in her home city, a shame she couldn’t go out on a positive

Comment

• Day 1 of the Pan American Games athletics starts in just over 2 hours' time. The 100m Semi-finals are today, the Decathlon starts and there's 5 Finals - Men's & Women's Discus, Women's LJ, Women's 10,000 & Men's 5000.

Streaming details etc at https://forum.athleticsweekly.com/fo...=6277#post6277

Comment

• Has anyone been watching the Pan Am Games?

Have enjoyed it so far and it's interesting to watch all the South & Central American athletes, many of whom we don't see much (or ever) on the circuit in Europe.

One of the rising stars of South American athletics is Brazil's Vitoria Cristina Rosa. She's the South American champion at 100 & 200 and finished 3rd here in the 100 behind only Elaine Thompson and Michelle-Lee Ahye. She was just 0.03s behind Ahye. Then in the 200 semis yesterday she sped to the fastest qualifying time, a marginal PB of 22.72 (+0.4m/s). This hasn't seemed like a quick track in Lima so I'll take a punt and say she makes either the 100 or 200 final in Doha.

In the Men's 400 Hurdles her compatriot Alison Alves dos Santos won a dramatic race and again broke his South American U20 record, 48.45. He's the 3rd fastest junior ever.

One to watch rising up the ranks in Central America is Costa Rica's Andrea Vargas in the 100m Hurdles. In the semis she improved her NR from 12.90 to 12.75 (+0.1m/s) and then beat a good field in the final including Nelvis, Tapper & Yanique Thompson. Leading Nelvis in the lane next to her by half a metre, Vargas had her under so much pressure that Nelvis hit the penultimate barrier really hard.

Two more days of stadium action to come.

Comment

• SAFP and her lime green hair won the 200 final in Lima in 22.43, breaking Evelyn Ashford's CR. The aforementioned Vitoria Cristina Rosa set another PB in 2nd, 22.62.

Comment

• Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
                        Has anyone been watching the Pan Am Games?

Have enjoyed it so far and it's interesting to watch all the South & Central American athletes, many of whom we don't see much (or ever) on the circuit in Europe.

One of the rising stars of South American athletics is Brazil's Vitoria Cristina Rosa. She's the South American champion at 100 & 200 and finished 3rd here in the 100 behind only Elaine Thompson and Michelle-Lee Ahye. She was just 0.03s behind Ahye. Then in the 200 semis yesterday she sped to the fastest qualifying time, a marginal PB of 22.72 (+0.4m/s). This hasn't seemed like a quick track in Lima so I'll take a punt and say she makes either the 100 or 200 final in Doha.

In the Men's 400 Hurdles her compatriot Alison Alves dos Santos won a dramatic race and again broke his South American U20 record, 48.45. He's the 3rd fastest junior ever.

One to watch rising up the ranks in Central America is Costa Rica's Andrea Vargas in the 100m Hurdles. In the semis she improved her NR from 12.90 to 12.75 (+0.1m/s) and then beat a good field in the final including Nelvis, Tapper & Yanique Thompson. Leading Nelvis in the lane next to her by half a metre, Vargas had her under so much pressure that Nelvis hit the penultimate barrier really hard.

Two more days of stadium action to come.
                        I've been watching, and really should have commented about some of the results myself. It's been of an been a pretty good standard overall but a combo of the slow-ish track you mentioned and the cool Peruvian weather conditions, have combined to put a bit of bind on times and distances in the explosive sprints and jumps.

Comment

• Very much enjoyed the efforts of the Peruvians and Bolivians in the Men's 5000 & 10,000 in Lima. They made those races for me and of course the crowd were going nuts for the local lads (the crowds have been pretty healthy all week). Basco (BOL) and Cusi (PER) were rewarded in the 10k with a NR and a PB respectively in 4th & 5th places. Terrific last 1000 (in 2:36) by the Brazilian Edison Perreira in that race, just winding the pace up gradually, each 200m about a second faster than the previous one and he came away with a deserved gold in 28:27, a 5s PB.

I like the way they've scheduled the sessions, leaving plenty of space for the field events. Of course, that's easier to do when you have only 2 rounds in the events up to 800m and straight finals in the distances.
                          Last edited by LuckySpikes; 10-08-19, 00:05.

Comment

• Laura Galvan (MEX) putting in a shift for her country, running the 5000 final just 40 minutes after running a PB in the 1500 final!

Comment

• Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
                              Laura Galvan (MEX) putting in a shift for her country, running the 5000 final just 40 minutes after running a PB in the 1500 final!
                              Oh my!! Not only that ... ... she just went and won the Gold didn't she, with a 2:54 last kilometre beating a good field including Jessica O'Connell, Lauren Paquette, Kim Conley & the 10k silver medalist, Risper Biyaki.

Sifan Hassan, take note!

Comment

Working...
                              X