No announcement yet.

Birmingham Diamond League - 21st May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woah even the B w800 is loaded! Baker v Boffey v Selman v Hartigan. (With Ives and Feldmeier not out of the reckoning.) Pace called for is 58.5 apparently.
    If the weather holds, someone is going to have a big breakthrough.

(In my dream world, it goes something like this: Boffey wins narrowly from Baker, quick; and in the posr-race interview she grabs the mic and roars "I'm coming for you next Hodgkinson!" :-) )

Comment

• RunUnlimited
      RunUnlimited commented
      Editing a comment
      The weather will be decent up in Birmingham today, between 17-19C with periods of sunshine breaking through the clouds, no rain and a 8-10mph WSW wind. I'd say fine weather to run some good times in the middle distances certainly.

(As for Boffey's after race challenge to Keely.... lol)

Meanwhile, over in the m800... No Max Burgin? :-/

Comment

• RunUnlimited
      RunUnlimited commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, he had been down to run in the men's "B" 800m race when the startlists first became available earlier in the week, but just a couple of days later he had disappeared and was replaced by Luca Bigg.

In the women's 800m "B" race, Izzy Boffey once again managed to hold off the ever-improving 18 year old, Abigail Ives, though it was an even tighter finish than their race last week. Boffey crossed the line in a 2:01.30 SB, while Ives sliced another significant chunk off her lifetime best, with 2:01.88 PB. That time moves Abigail up to 6th on the UK U20 all time list now, while she moves up to 2nd place on the world U20 list for this year.

Ellie Baker, who had been the leader off the final bend, came 3rd in a 2:02.14 SB, while Scotland's Jenny Selman was 4th in 2:03.22.

Comment

The B 400m race, an all British affair, saw Zoey Clarke clock 51.88, her 3rd season's best in 7 days, while Ama Pipi, possibly still a little tired after her efforts in Italy just a couple of days ago, finished 2nd in 52.57.

Exciting teenage talent Yemi Mary John, EU20 silver medallist in Tallinn last year, started her outdoor campaign with a new PB of 53.04, a WU20 qualifying time.

Comment

I have to say, the new stadium is looking marvelous

Comment

Ben Pattison, in a slow-ish, tactical B 800m race, easily pulled away from the rest of the largely British field, finishing strongly in 1:49.21.

Comment

I really don't understand why some of those men wouldn't go for a time given the opportunity... That said, Ben Pattison is a firecracker isn't he - great performance. 1.43 this year?

Dreaming of a trials where Burgin, Pattison, Rowden, Dustin, Giles et al all turn up healthy... That's before we even consider the likes of Webb, Randolph, Davis, Langford, Staines, Sharman-Newell, Wightman and McLear - The depth is astonishing.
            Last edited by Christy93; 21-05-22, 13:37.

Comment

Hmm... some poor runs there by the British runners in the women's "B" 100m, with the likes of Lansiquot, Brier, Awuah, Rees and Henry, all well behind Gabby Thomas' 11.27 (+0.3m/s)

Comment

Originally posted by Christy93 View Post
                I really don't understand why some of those men wouldn't go for a time given the opportunity...
                Exactly. Hard to see what any of the bigger names got out of that - other than any appearance money, I suppose. Disappointing.

Comment

I really don't understand why some of those men wouldn't go for a time given the opportunity... That said, Ben Pattison is a firecracker isn't he - great performance. 1.43 this year?

Dreaming of a trials where Burgin, Pattison, Rowden, Dustin, Giles et al all turn up healthy... That's before we even consider the likes of Webb, Randolph, Davis, Langford, Staines, Sharman-Newell, Wightman and McLear - The depth is astonishing.
                  It is quite astonishing... certainly the greatest depth in men's middle distance running we've seen since the Coe/Ovett/Cram/ era.

Comment

Good to see Robbie get his belated silver medal. I almost didn't recognise him with his clothes on!

Comment

I have to say, the new stadium is looking marvelous
                      Looks great!

Comment

Jeremiah Azu with possibly his best race of his career, certainly on the professional circuit, as he beat the likes of Aaron Brown and British Indoor Champion Adam Thomas, with a 10.19 (-0.5m/s) =SB in the B 100m

Comment

• treadwater1
                          treadwater1 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          He should have been in the A race

Glad to see Jeremiah Azu leading off the GB2 relay later, he looks tailor-made for the role moving forward.

Comment

A good run from Joe Brier in the all British 400m B race, pulling away from the rest of the field in the final 70m and crossing the line in 46.21.

Comment

Working...
                          X