Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK Outdoors May 2022

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
    And an exciting one: Joe Harris improved his javelin pb to 79.53! He'd been in good form this year, but his previous best of 75.71 dates back to 2017.
    Well done to him; only needs a regular additional 3/4 metres and he will be closely followed.

    Comment


    • #92
      the very surprising performance by Matt Stonier is the number 1 performance over the distance this year so far but Tilastopaja has not shown that yet, probably due to it being the w/e but i note some of the highgate performances are represented; Matts performance worth 3.37 over 1500m is vastly different to his may 2nd run of 3.46. Was it a one off or do we keep a careful eye out for him.

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
        And an exciting one: Joe Harris improved his javelin pb to 79.53! He'd been in good form this year, but his previous best of 75.71 dates back to 2017.
        Can’t ask for much more of an improvement that that. Very well done him although as Philipo implies there’s still a little way to go before he can be considered true international class.

        His big throw was in round 1, which he followed with 63.56 but in round 3 he produced another further than he’d ever been before with 75.87 before finishing with 70 and 71s.

        Hopefully he can kick on from here.

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by philipo View Post
          the very surprising performance by Matt Stonier is the number 1 performance over the distance this year so far but Tilastopaja has not shown that yet, probably due to it being the w/e but i note some of the highgate performances are represented; Matts performance worth 3.37 over 1500m is vastly different to his may 2nd run of 3.46. Was it a one off or do we keep a careful eye out for him.
          Noteworthy that the May 2nd run was a sprint finish in which Matt beat Ben Pattison, who has since even split a 1.45.4 800m. Seems like prettt strong form to me.

          Comment


          • MysteryBrick
            MysteryBrick commented
            Editing a comment
            Stonier 100% seems to have upped his level. 8 British U23s broke 3:40 last year, and if 2 or 3 get to the next level, then along with Kerr, Wightman, Heyward (U23 last year) and Copeland GB will have a quite a few selection dilemmas to deal with. Similarly in the 800m, where I fancy Pattison to run 1:44 soon.

        • #95
          Josh Zeller won Bog 10 meet with a legal 13.
          19

          Comment


          • #96
            Sorry big 10
            won by a country mile.
            Now he has the prelims meet over 25 to 28th Mayand the finals early in June. An excellent performance in the top 5 in the world. Well done to him.

            Comment


            • #97
              Actually 4th
              2 brits in the top10 of the 110 h. Refreshing.

              Comment


              • #98
                Excellent progress, that's a worlds qualifier and UK lead.

                Comment


                • #99
                  From the final day of the PAC-12 Championships in Hayward Field, Temi Ojora came 2nd in the triple jump with a best of 13.03m (+0.9m/s), taking home 8 points for the University of Southern California.

                  James Gormley, running in his universities' home stadium, came 6th in the 1500m final in 3:41.25, a new PB for the 24 year old.

                  In the final of the men's 110m hurdles, Temi Ojora's older brother, Tade, came 2nd in 13.53 (+0.1m/s), a big season's best, though if he had run a clearer race he might have been both closer to the win and his PB of 13.38.

                  Comment


                  • Holy carp!

                    Just seen this video retweeted on Ian Hodge's Twitter. https://twitter.com/UMichTrack/statu...15943196471302

                    Josh Zeller, running in the BIG-10 Championships (think the states surrounding the Great Lakes in America), wins the 110m Hurdles in an outstanding 13.19 (+1.1m/s)!

                    Zeller goes from 12th on the UK all time list, all the way up to 5th, ousting former European Champion Andy Turner from that spot.

                    He also goes to 21st on the European all time list too.

                    I knew he was the real deal when I watched him win the European U20's back in 2019, and he is starting to fulfil that potential.

                    Comment


                    • RunUnlimited
                      RunUnlimited commented
                      Editing a comment
                      MysteryBrick The reason I said that about Zeller is that he, even back as a teenager, looked like a guy who had the physical build to handle the senior hurdles, unlike a Meredith. You're right about how the jump up in barrier height can ruin folks - Omoregie being the most recent and most saddening considering how well he was doing with the senior hurdles at one point in time.

                    • trickstat
                      trickstat commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The 110H at the major U20 champs changed from the senior 3'6" to 3'3" sometime in the 2000s. I suspect this was done because maybe some athletes who did well previously only did so because they were fortunate in being able to cope with 3'6" hurdles straight away, and could beat others whose ultimate potential was greater. The down side is that you will always have some athletes who can run quickly over the 3'3"s at U20 who will never manage to do so over 3'6".
                      Last edited by trickstat; 17-05-22, 00:17.

                    • MysteryBrick
                      MysteryBrick commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Fair point RunUnlimited, and like you say one can often see athletes who are likely to do well from their build.

                  • The only British athlete aged 21 to have run faster than Zeller's 13.19(+1.6) is Colin Jackson, and he just managed it once at altitude in Sestriere with a 13.11(+2.0).

                    Comment


                    • You can't group Meredith/Gladman together with Omoregie. Meredith and Gladman made no impact as seniors. Omoregie made the transition from the 3'3" to 3'6" hurdles, ran 13.24/25 at the age of 20, faster than Jackson/Jarrett at the same age. He had 2 highly promising years, and then his career ground to a halt, I presume due to injury.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by CAML View Post
                        You can't group Meredith/Gladman together with Omoregie. Meredith and Gladman made no impact as seniors. Omoregie made the transition from the 3'3" to 3'6" hurdles, ran 13.24/25 at the age of 20, faster than Jackson/Jarrett at the same age. He had 2 highly promising years, and then his career ground to a halt, I presume due to injury.
                        Yep, injuries basically ended Omoregie's career after 2018.

                        Comment


                        • A few more British performances of note on a busy weekend on the NCAA circuit...

                          Katy-Ann McDonald doubled up in the 800/1500m at the SEC Outdoor Championships, coming 4th in the 800m final with a 2:03.09, while in the 1500m, Ann McDonald took nearly half a second out of her previous best, coming in a respectable 3rd place with 4:12.30.

                          Amber Anning though was very disappointing in the 400m, going out in the prelims with a below-par 53.46.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post
                            Holy carp!

                            Just seen this video retweeted on Ian Hodge's Twitter. https://twitter.com/UMichTrack/statu...15943196471302

                            Josh Zeller, running in the BIG-10 Championships (think the states surrounding the Great Lakes in America), wins the 110m Hurdles in an outstanding 13.19 (+1.1m/s)!

                            Zeller goes from 12th on the UK all time list, all the way up to 5th, ousting former European Champion Andy Turner from that spot.

                            He also goes to 21st on the European all time list too.

                            I knew he was the real deal when I watched him win the European U20's back in 2019, and he is starting to fulfil that potential.
                            Zeller was very impressive with nice clean hurdling.⁵

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X