No announcement yet.

2022 Outdoor Programme for Dina Asher-Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DAS confirms she is definitely doing both WCs and Commonwealths:Dina Asher-Smith to run at Commonwealths in busy summer - BBC Sport

It's not entirely clear from that if she plans to do both sprints and the relay at both.

Comment

• Chafford1
      Chafford1 commented
      Editing a comment
      You'd have thought that the BBC journalist might have asked her.

id imagine , she will do all three at the worlds and see how she is, then probably all three at the commonwealths and see how she is, ditto the euros if she is fine

Comment

I think she'll do all three at Worlds but only 1 individual sprint at Commonwealths and then see how she feels for Euros.

Comment

i feel i am tempting the fates with DAS and her fragile legs to say anything other than i hope she is fully fit for Eugene.

Comment

According to the Guardian, DAS is running either the 100m or 200m plus relay at the CGs. The top Caribbean women sprinters are expected to run in the CGs according to the article.
          Last edited by Chafford1; 11-06-22, 12:43.

Comment

DAS not entered for either Oslo or Paris Diamond League - so is she planning to go into the WCs with just two 200m races under her belt (assuming she's doing the 100m at the British Championships as indicated)? I haven't seen much evidence she is in WC winning form.

Comment

• treadwater1
              treadwater1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Her SBs are fairly similar to what they were pre championships in 2018 and 2019, fear not

• MysteryBrick
              MysteryBrick commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly what I noted a few posts ago. If she doesn't do well (by which I mean a medal at the champs) it will either be due to injury or 3 women running 21.7 or better, not her running badly.

If you are targeting competing at all 3 champs, it does perhaps seem sensible that one isn't racing too much now.

Comment

Originally posted by Chafford1 View Post
              DAS not entered for either Oslo or Paris Diamond League - so is she planning to go into the WCs with just two 200m races under her belt (assuming she's doing the 100m at the British Championships as indicated)? I haven't seen much evidence she is in WC winning form.
              Where you expecting she would defend her title successfully.? She said that she is in vastly stronger condition than last year,physically and mentally. We will see. I believe that her failures to run more 200s is to nurse her legs.

Comment

She's never run lots of 200s prior to the Trials. In 2018, if you exclude the Commies in April, she ran zero 200s before the Trials. In 2021 she ran two. 2019 was a bit different because the trials were so late in August but even then she only averaged one a month.

She may well run faster than ever but still only finish 4th or 5th in Eugene. Losing to ETH, Jackson, Thomas and Steiner, would be no disgrace. They all have better pbs. So have SAFP and SMU (although I think she'll beat both of them). I'd not be surprised if Seyni ends up running 21.6, as a DSD athlete. Brittany Brown is on a steep upward curve as well. Sub-22 with much improved 100 speed.

Fingers crossed Dina will sneak a medal - for me that would be a far greater achievement than the gold in 2019 against virtually no one.

Comment

Originally posted by Sovietvest View Post
                  She's never run lots of 200s prior to the Trials. In 2018, if you exclude the Commies in April, she ran zero 200s before the Trials. In 2021 she ran two. 2019 was a bit different because the trials were so late in August but even then she only averaged one a month.

She may well run faster than ever but still only finish 4th or 5th in Eugene. Losing to ETH, Jackson, Thomas and Steiner, would be no disgrace. They all have better pbs. So have SAFP and SMU (although I think she'll beat both of them). I'd not be surprised if Seyni ends up running 21.6, as a DSD athlete. Brittany Brown is on a steep upward curve as well. Sub-22 with much improved 100 speed.

Fingers crossed Dina will sneak a medal - for me that would be a far greater achievement than the gold in 2019 against virtually no one.
                  Agreed on your last para, for sure.

Comment

What we have to bear in mind is that DAS has been working hard behind the scenes. Many times she has said she is a much stronger athlete. She peaks for Championships. I believe she will rewrite her PB's and be in the chase for silver (difficult with the two Star Jamaicans) or bronzes. She has Championship experience and that counts. She'll certainly give it her best shot!

Comment

There's been a lot of hype in the press and media about DAS over the past few weeks - another article in the Sunday Times today. A convincing win over DN next weekend should provide some evidence that DAS will be a contender in Eugene.

Comment

Originally posted by Sovietvest View Post

I get what you mean, but I think you're being harsh about 2019. Even with effectively nobody to race, she still posted a time that would have won her a medal at every WC or Olympics since the WCs started, with the exception of last summer. And in plenty of those races she would have won the gold, by a similar margin as she did in Doha.

We also don't know whether closer competition might even have driven her to a quicker time. It's certainly not impossible.

Clearly medalling in Eugene would be a fine achievement - but so was the 2019 WC gold.

Comment

• Sovietvest
                          Sovietvest commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Fair comment Marra! I should have written that a medal in Eugene may prove to be a greater achievement than the Doha gold. Let's see what level of performance is needed - could certainly be a 21.6/7 for bronze if the conditions are good.
                      Working...
                      X