• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Indoor Championships 2022 - March 18-20

The squad is announced

Women
    60m:
    Cheyanne Evans-Gray; Daryll Neita; 400m: Jessie Knight, Ama Pipi; 800m: Keely Hodgkinson, Jenny Selman; 1500m: Erin Wallace; 3000m: Amy-Eloise Markovc, Amelia Quirk; 60m hurdles: Megan Marrs; LJ: Jazmin Sawyers, Lorraine Ugen; SP: Sophie McKinna; 4x400m: Hodgkinson, Knight, Pipi, Mary John, Victoria Ohuruogu, Hannah Williams.

Men
    60m: Andy Robertson, Adam Thomas; 400m: Ed Faulds; 800m: Elliot Giles, Guy Learmonth; 1500m: Neil Gourley, George Mills; 3000m: Jamaine Coleman, Marc Scott; 60m hurdles: Andy Pozzi, David King; SP: Scott Lincoln. 4x400m: Faulds, Alex Haydock-Wilson, Ben Higgins, Sam Reardon, Tom Somers, James Williams.

Please note

Invitations for the combined events will be issued by World Athletics later this week. Any further invitations from World Athletics will be issued after March 9 and these will be accepted by UKA provided the invited athletes, meet the eligibility criteria and demonstrate current form which suggests that they are capable of being competitive in Belgrade.

A link to an interview with Christain Malcom

https://uk.yahoo.com/sports/news/chr...174525635.html

Comment

Emily Borthwick might (should?) get an invite. With Lasitskene out, and the Belarussian also not allowed in, it means just one woman with an automatic qualifier not an doing indoor season and Emily will be in a qualifying spot, based on the current Road to Belgrade rankings.

Holly Millls should get a spot too.

Comment

A decent team on both fronts.

And for the multi-events, I'm guessing that Holly Mills and new British indoor champion Ella Rush, will be selected for the pentathlon.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
          Occasional Hope commented
          Editing a comment
          Ella's a bright hope for the future but she won't qualify for this.

• RunUnlimited
          RunUnlimited commented
          Editing a comment
          Ahh, shame. Oh well, I'm sure Ella's big target is the World Juniors in the summer.

Only 12 spots for the pentahlon so Rush unlikely to make it sadly

And note there are wildcards available at the World Indoor Tour Final tomorrow - Borthwick can win the tour with a win. Giles can win and open another 800 spot

Comment

where s piers copeland?

Comment

• MysteryBrick
            MysteryBrick commented
            Editing a comment
            His Instagram seems to indicate World Indoors was never the plan, which is quite an odd decision.

Marc Scott is running at the weekend a big 10K with Ahmed ,Fisher and others
          if he goes big with a good sub 27 minutes I hope the recovery period does not have too adverse effect on his 3000 metres in Belgrade. The 3k will probably be an Eth fest anyway.

Comment

Medal chances?

I am always pleased to see Lorraine Ugen jumping well and could be in with a chance. If Holly Mills can string a good series together she may also be contending for a medal. The women's 4x400 might be a surprise package for a medal as you never know with DQs and falls et al... Only one very strong gold medal chance, and that is Ms. Hodgkinson. Otherwise a good number of PBs will suffice for me and possibly a NR from Sophie Mckinna.

Men ...hmmm... Pozzi DNS last night, so saving himself or decided his indoor season is over... Marc Scott could contend for a medal but he has got to get to the start line first. I only can see Elliot Giles as a firm possibilty beyond these two. Otherwise, again, some PBs would be welcome although when it comes to the men's selection I am a little nervous that there are one or two carrying 'niggles' and that men's 400 will be a relief just to make the final intact ...

Comment

medal chances - keeley in the 800, womens 4 x 400, holly mills possibly doing what emerson did at the euro indoors a few years ago, the womens long jump and possibly neita if she can pb ( she would probably need a 7.06 to medal based on the past 10 years of world indoors)on the mens side maybe giles and scott, pozzi doesnt look in the best form so would probably be unlikely

Comment

KJT has been added to the team! If she is fit (which is a reasonable if, although one would assume she wouldn't have accepted unless she was) then she is the immediate favourite as the defending World Indoor and Outdoor Champion, and given the fact that the last 3 Pentathlons she has done (2015, 2018, 2019) have won her the European Indoors twice and the World Indoors once.

Charlie Grice also in after Giles' World Indoor Tour win, lucky boy.

Comment

• Grassmarket
                  Grassmarket commented
                  Editing a comment
                  In the Pentathlon? Or just Long Jump, following Ugen’s win yesterday?

• Ladyloz
                  Ladyloz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pentathlon. Assume KJT has the Wild Card Invite from World Athletics

• Occasional Hope
                  Editing a comment
                  Exciting news! I hope she is fully fit.

Originally posted by MysteryBrick View Post
                KJT has been added to the team! If she is fit (which is a reasonable if, although one would assume she wouldn't have accepted unless she was) then she is the immediate favourite as the defending World Indoor and Outdoor Champion, and given the fact that the last 3 Pentathlons she has done (2015, 2018, 2019) have won her the European Indoors twice and the World Indoors once.

Charlie Grice also in after Giles' World Indoor Tour win, lucky boy.
                Well that came at me from out of left field! KJT making her return to competitive action after the devastation of her injury nightmare in Tokyo in the WIC was *not* something I predicted at all! As you say, if KJT is fully fit and healthy, she immediately goes into gold medal favourite territory in the pentathlon.

As for Grice's selection in the 800m, he is very lucky to get the extra spot.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
                  Editing a comment
                  Her is, but I don’t begrudge him the spot. With the wealth of talent we’re developing in the middle distances he probably won’t get many more chances to represent the U.K.

Just as important , there will, of course, be another of our "famous" Prediction Contests,

Comment

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
                  Just as important , there will, of course, be another of our "famous" Prediction Contests,
                  i predict a certain someone will moan about how things are poor compared to the golden age of the 1980s

Comment

Also should mention that Holly Mills also received a wild card too, so she'll join KJT in the pentathlon.... can she do better than the 5th place she achieved at the European Indoors last year?

Comment

• MysteryBrick
                      MysteryBrick commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ranked #3 in the world, and Pentathlon absolutely plays to her strengths (great hurdles, good shot, good LJ, good 800m) with no javelin.

• drobbie
                      drobbie commented
                      Editing a comment
                      theres 100 extra points in that high jump if she jumps close to her best

Drobbie, surely you are going to inform us of the "golden period" of today. A gold medal round Johnson thompson's neck already. All the self proclaimed "experts" have spoken so I thought I would contact her and tell her of her medal😄

Comment

Working...
                    X