Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uk athletics indoor championships 2022 - utilita arena - birmingham

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46


    But, there are precedents! I saw an indoor 60m race recently, where one of the athletes clearly false started, but, in spite of that, was not disqualified and then preceded to win the race! No. the athletic rule makers must have a system that delivers the best match ups, and, in the case of Izzy, surely a "wild card" entry to the final would have been the best solution all round. What is it that is said in the Bible, " The letter of the law killeth, but the spirit giveth life". Maybe GB Athletics should appoint St Paul as the official arbitrator in matters such as Izzy's fall.
    Last edited by painisthepurifier; 26-02-22, 19:17.

    Comment


    • Occasional Hope
      Occasional Hope commented
      Editing a comment
      One competition organiser not applying the rules isn't a precedent, it's a breach of the rules which shouldn't have happened the first time. Plus championships should always be the highest level of stringency.

      Sorry, I know it's a disappointing result this time.

  • #47
    Occasional Hope said: "Plus championships should always be the highest level of stringency." You've got it totally back to front! Championships should be about having the sport organised in such a way that the fans get to see highest level of competition: That is, the best vs the best. The middle-distance events at these championships have already been diminished by injuries - Laura Muir, for example - and no shows - Josh Kerr. Now, the organisers decided to "diminish" the women's 800m final by being inflexible...or should that be "stupid". UK athletics is getting shunted further and further away from main stream appeal. It's time to bring in some PR expert to show how ii should be done!

    Comment


    • #48
      Originally posted by painisthepurifier View Post
      Izzy Boffey, Oh, dear. Here we have another example of athletics shooting itself in the foot. With Izzy not in the final, who loses out? 1) The fans! We want to see the best vs the best! 2 ) The UK team?. What is required is a realisation that the sport needs the fans! Needs to keep the fans happy. Give them the best possible match ups In situations like Izzy's fall, there should be - no there MUST be - a "wild card" protocol, where deserving athletes - the ones likely to medal -should be progressed through to the final ( double up on a lane...job done! ).
      Rules is rules though!

      In skiing, do they give Michaela Shiffrin another run if she falls on her first run? In rowing, do they let GB through to the final if their boat sinks or if they're just not fast enough on the day? No, of course they don't.

      It was a fair fight, Izzy Boffey made a schoolgirl mistake and she had no grounds to be advanced to the final.

      Comment


      • #49
        "Rules are Rules" but there is flexibility within the rules, and I have seen athletes advanced to finals for similar incidents to Izzy's. Between the "rules are rules" robot fans, and inflexible, short sighted officials, I'm afraid I fear for the future of the sport. Sabotaging exciting head to heads for the lack of some common sense is not the best way forward!

        Comment


        • Grassmarket
          Grassmarket commented
          Editing a comment
          Sure, we do sometimes see some….indulgence….shown to big names on the commercial circuit, but it can’t be done at a Championships.

      • #50
        Originally posted by painisthepurifier View Post
        "Rules are Rules" but there is flexibility within the rules, and I have seen athletes advanced to finals for similar incidents to Izzy's. Between the "rules are rules" robot fans, and inflexible, short sighted officials, I'm afraid I fear for the future of the sport. Sabotaging exciting head to heads for the lack of some common sense is not the best way forward!
        Dude, stop.

        Izzy Boffey made a mistake and it cost her.

        She'll learn from it and will come back an even better runner as a result.

        Even without her participation in the final, women's middle distance running in GB is in rude health. It's likely to be Jemma Reekie (former UK indoor 800m record holder) or Selman battling it out to join Keely Hodgkinson in Belgrade next month. Boffey's absence will be more than adequately made up for with the strength in depth we have.

        Your posts have been just weird and annoying, going on about an irrelevant point of order.

        Comment


        • #51
          I'll end my input by saying that there's a bigger picture here that obviously can't be grasped by most of "the fans" who inhabit this forum.

          Comment


          • #52
            Originally posted by painisthepurifier View Post
            I'll end my input by saying that there's a bigger picture here that obviously can't be grasped by most of "the fans" who inhabit this forum.
            That's rubbish and ridiculously patronising. Most of the fans want our sport to be fair and that does not mean giving a bye to an athlete who made a mistake and tripped up. I am sad not to see IB but that's the nature of competition, some of the expected finalists don't make it through. Can we end this drivel now.

            Comment


            • #53
              Originally posted by painisthepurifier View Post
              Between the "rules are rules" robot fans, and inflexible, short sighted officials, I'm afraid I fear for the future of the sport.
              A bit melodramatic? a) Falls by one of the favourites in a heat are pretty rare and b) I really don't think "the future of the sport" stands or falls on whether a few athletes who caused their own demise are advanced to the final or not.

              Rather, athletics would risk being seen as a joke or just plain baffling if athletes were advanced to the final in such cases.
              Last edited by LuckySpikes; 26-02-22, 22:44.

              Comment


              • trickstat
                trickstat commented
                Editing a comment
                Why even bother having heats?

            • #54
              Methinks someone suddenly appearing in this forum with a username called "painisthepurifer" was likely nothing more than a lame troll looking for some attention.

              They achieved their goal.

              That is about the only thing they have ever achieved in life.

              Comment


              • MysteryBrick
                MysteryBrick commented
                Editing a comment
                Did Philipo get banned recently...? All looks a little familiar.

              • RunUnlimited
                RunUnlimited commented
                Editing a comment
                MysteryBrick Nah, there wasn't enough rudeness, bluntness and unpleasantness in that troll's comments to have been Phillipo. This was just some rando newbie coming into the comments to stir up trouble with some nonsensical non-argument.

            • #55
              In the womens 400m final whilst the action at the front may see The Hodge actually beat the specialists, watch out for the time of 18 year old Mary Yemi John who, after a 53.07s semi yesterday and a good night’s sleep, may have enough in the tank to overhaul Amber Anning’s UK Junior record of 53 dead, set in 2019 which broke a near 50 year old Marilyn Neufville record.

              It’s set to be a great race all round.

              Comment


              • #56
                Originally posted by LoveSprints1 View Post
                In the womens 400m final whilst the action at the front may see The Hodge actually beat the specialists, watch out for the time of 18 year old Mary Yemi John who, after a 53.07s semi yesterday and a good night’s sleep, may have enough in the tank to overhaul Amber Anning’s UK Junior record of 53 dead, set in 2019 which broke a near 50 year old Marilyn Neufville record.

                It’s set to be a great race all round.
                Oh crap, I completely missed that factoid! I knew she'd set a new indoor PB, but forgot about Anning's U20 indoor NR and didn't realise she got so close.

                Also, is it me, or has GB suddenly found itself with a decent selection of women for the indoor and outdoor 4x400m relay? Someone else yesterday pointed out that we're not quite Poland yet in terms of sheer strength in depth and quality, but that we are getting there. 5 of the 6 finalists have run sub 53 seconds indoors (with Knight a sub 52 second athlete last year) and having that type of depth would put GB's women in with a good chance of medalling in the relay at the World Indoors.
                Last edited by RunUnlimited; 27-02-22, 10:18.

                Comment


                • LoveSprints1
                  LoveSprints1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  RunUnlimited Knight was sub 52 in relays only last year. Her 51.57 time was from 2020. But her opener this year was fastest ever and she looks ready to get back to her 2020 time again if pushed this afternoon.

                • RunUnlimited
                  RunUnlimited commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ok thanks for the correction there LoveSprints1 , and I agree that Knight is looking in sub 52 form again this year.

              • #57
                LoveSprints1

                Thanks for pointing that out. I am hoping that they have all rested well, with no 'niggles' and we get a very competitive race, with good times. I think each individual will get something out of this race, The Hodge may well split the 'specialists' but is surely not going to double-up at the Worlds, so two will get the individual event, I hope, another two go for the relay, perhaps for the 'semi' [if there is one I havent checked] and then Ms. Keeley, depending if we make the final, and she is feeling good, takes one of the legs...

                What with Amber Anning running well in the US, other top runners from 2021 (I am thinking Jodie Williams, Nicole Yeargin) and one or two others returning to fitness and form [Yasmin Liverpool
                , Laviai Nielsen], it is a en exciting time and might see some very good new PBs set in the summer.

                Comment


                • #58
                  Originally posted by Christy93 View Post
                  Really pleasantly surprised by the womens 400. Nielsen misses the final with a 53.0, despite 7 of the top 10 outdoors in 2021 not competing. We might not be Poland yet, but real depth is there.
                  Women’s 4x400 is going to be one of the hot events this year. Ourselves, Poland, Netherlands, USA….

                  Comment


                  • carterhatch
                    carterhatch commented
                    Editing a comment
                    With the emergence of Carys McAulay, added to a possible leg by Beth Dobbin, Zoe Clark and Nicole Yeargin, Scotland have a competitive relay for the Commonweatlhs which is pleasing.

                • #59
                  Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post

                  Oh crap, I completely missed that factoid! I knew she'd set a new indoor PB, but forgot about Anning's U20 indoor NR and didn't realise she got so close.

                  Also, is it me, or has GB suddenly found itself with a decent selection of women for the indoor and outdoor 4x400m relay? Someone else yesterday pointed out that we're not quite Poland yet in terms of sheer strength in depth and quality, but that we are getting there. 5 of the 6 finalists have run sub 53 seconds indoors (with Knight a sub 52 second athlete last year) and having that type of depth would put GB's women in with a good chance of medalling in the relay at the World Indoors.
                  we could do with a couple more stars - jodie willaims can run a 50, yeargin and nielsen have broken 51 in the last couple of seasons, hopefully anning, liverpool, pipi and the younger williams as well as maybe keeley can join them in the sub 51 seconds club this season and we will have a team capabel of competing at the top level

                  Comment


                  • Ladyloz
                    Ladyloz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Our women's 4x4 teams have always been competitive. They won medals at every global outdoor champs from 2013-17 and have not been too far off the pace since. We do need others to at least be running sub 51 fairly regularly if not closer to 50 seconds to back up Jodie.

                    One of the things Poland is good at is their 2nd string athletes running above and beyond their times/rankings. Emily Diamond has done that to an extent but need others to follow.

                • #60
                  Originally posted by drobbie View Post

                  we could do with a couple more stars - jodie willaims can run a 50, yeargin and nielsen have broken 51 in the last couple of seasons, hopefully anning, liverpool, pipi and the younger williams as well as maybe keeley can join them in the sub 51 seconds club this season and we will have a team capabel of competing at the top level
                  Well, the likes of Anning and Yeargin won't be available internationally until the summer, due to their college commitments, while Liverpool is focusing on the outdoor campaign... but who we've got available indoors will be pretty strong already.

                  I can't wait until the summer season when these women will be available.... the competition for places at the Worlds, Commonwealth and European championships in the 400m will be fierce for sure.

                  Comment


                  • LoveSprints1
                    LoveSprints1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeargin is fully pro now. She has moved to Texas and looks to be dabbling with the 400mH as well. She seems to be focussing on Outdoor season only.

                  • RunUnlimited
                    RunUnlimited commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ah, so Yeargin is fully into the pro circuit? Cool!

                    Will be interesting to see what she'll do this year, and with her experimentation with the long hurdles too.

                  • Occasional Hope
                    Occasional Hope commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's an interesting move, she's never competed in hurdles since coming on Po10.
                Working...
                X