Talent Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talent Identification

The thriving 'bobsleigh' thread and a couple of BBC articles had me return to one of my favourite topics, Talent Identification, today. I really believe that a lot of potential is lost through young talent not finding the right sport, be it lack of opportunities or governing bodies not being proactive enough.

A young lad, David Ojabo, is about to do what Lawrence Okoye tried to do, and follow an NFL dream. He grew up in Scotland, his parents were from Nigeria, he is 6,5, ran a 100m in 10.8, and went to the US on a basketball scholarship. I wonder if he was ever on Scotland Athletics radar?

Another example is Cornelius Kersten, who has been selected for Team GB in the long track speed skating, the first British athlete to do so in 30 years. I don't suppose there are many of the right facilities for this sport in the UK [the Netherlands apparantly has 17 400m ice rinks and is a national obsession compared to the US that has 2] but I wonder, given the number of T&F athletes who have tried bobsleigh, whether short and long track speed skating has attracted many to try...

More broadly we might use this thread to highllght other T&F athletes trying other sports or suggestions thereof ...
Working...
X