Merit Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merit Rankings

Any discussion on Peter Matthews’ thoughts? I will say plenty when the world ones are done in a few days

Not sure I understand how they are done. I've looked at a few of the Women's. Is it based on World Athletics points given to the level of the competition as they don't all seem to make sense or follow the pattern of WA rankings for GB either? I have had to remove the links to those from this post as I was flagged.

I thought rankings were based on times/ distances/ heights and potentially averages from a series of races. Can someone clarify? Below are a few which I really don't understand.

Women's 100m - Why is Joy Eze ranked above Immanuela Aliu when three of the latter's best times in 2021 are superior to Joy's PB?

200m - Why is Ama Pipi ranked higher than Ashleigh Nelson, and why is Desiree Henry above both of them?

400m - How does Jessie Knight make the list at all when she only ran 400m indoors and didn't break 52 seconds? The blurb mentions the 10th best time as a record 51.99. This was Vicky Ohuruogu, who was faster than Jessie but doesn't make the rankings. If this ranking is based on finishing positions at the OLY trials Hannah Williams should be further up.

It would be great if someone could explain why some rankings seem to make sense and follow a pattern that is clear and others seem to be more woolly and several are not in line with world rankings at all.

Comment

• trickstat
      trickstat
      trickstat commented
      Editing a comment
      Merit rankings tend to be based on head to head records, honours won and sequence of marks in that order. The honours won part tends to mean that if 2 athletes met twice, once at the UK Trials and once at a lesser meet, and were 1-1 you would favour the win at the Trials.

Using the WA rankings for a domestic ranking wouldn't be very fair, as an established athlete who had a poor season may have a higher ranking because they got into some early Diamond Leagues than an up and coming athlete who produced better performances and beat the established athlete at domestic meets.

Peter Matthew's UK rankings include indoors, which not all such rankings do.

Aliu is difficult to rank as she didn't race outside the US and therefore didn't race any of the other leading Brits. It is also likely she more often had good sprinting conditions than Joy Eze.

Desiree Henry beat Ama Pipi and Ashleigh Nelson at the Trials which was probably the clincher.
      trickstat
      Last edited by trickstat; 26-12-21, 12:52.

Thanks
    trickstat
    trickstat , still not convinced re. Aliu v Eze and it doesn't explain Jessie Knight above other athletes in the rankings.

Over 400m Hannah Williams beat Laviai in their two meetings last season - at trials and at the Muller Grand Prix - yet Laviai ranked higher on time, not performance. There is no clarity IMO.
    LoveSprints1
    Last edited by LoveSprints1; 26-12-21, 13:55.

Comment

• trickstat
      trickstat
      trickstat commented
      Editing a comment
      I have no problem with Eze over Aliu for the reason that the latter just ran some quick times in the USA. She has no head to head record and no honours. However, I do think, even if you include indoors where Knight scores for being a European semi finalist and some other decent runs, she, like Aliu, should be 'marked down' for a lack of head to head against others overall. Laviai Nielsen is presumably ranked higher because she ran faster than Hannah Williams' best in 2 international races in Marseille and Hengelo but I'm not sure if that would be enough to swing it her way for me. For what it's worth, I suspect Laviai is higher on the WA rankings
      trickstat
      Last edited by trickstat; 02-01-22, 13:37.

Men’s World endurance rankings are out: strange 10 in the marathon. I would have only 7 or 8 of them, in another order, starting with Lemma at 2 and Cherono at 3

Comment

Originally posted by Aussiestatman View Post
      Any discussion on Peter Matthews’ thoughts? I will say plenty when the world ones are done in a few days
      I knew Peter’s thoughts about the women marathoners soon after Valencia. E-mailed him my ten and couldn’t believe he could leave out Major winner Ruth Chepngetich from his ten.

Comment

• Aussiestatman
        Aussiestatman
        Aussiestatman commented
        Editing a comment
        T&FN rankings align more to the AW ones than mine. Ruth, major winner with previous credentials, outside the 10
    Working...
    X