Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Are the Ten Best Women Marathoners just now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussiestatman
    replied
    After Worlds, there are 4 potentially very quick marathons in the second half of the year. Berlin, London, Chicago, and Valencia. Kosgei has the WL now, but I believe 3 or 4 times could usurp it by years end. Gidey is the obvious one in Valencia, but Brigid herself may go again, and YY may take more minutes off her debut. A fourth sub 2.16 might come from Bekere or Dereje.

Leave a comment:

• Aussiestatman
    commented on 's reply
    Seidel is out. The top 6 I mentioned will fight for the medals but Seidel and the Belarussian ex-walker are strong enough to finish top 5 if a few of the best have an off day, IMO

• Aussiestatman
    replied
    Originally posted by Walsh7 View Post
    2022 World Championships Marathon Teams:

Kenya --
    Women: Ruth Chepng’etich, Judith Jeptum, Maureen Chepkemoi, Angela Tanui
    Men: Geoffrey Kamworor, Lawrence Cherono, and Barnabas Kiptum, (Alternate: Geoffrey Kirui)

Ethiopia--
    Women: Ashete Bekere, Ababel Yeshaneh, Goitom Geberesilssie, (Alternate: Degitu Azimeraw, Hiwot Gebrekidan)
    Men: Tamirat Tola, Mosinet Geremew, Leul Gebresilase, (Alternate: Sisay Lemma, Chalu Deso)
    Looks like Peres is added. fight for medals increases to 6 chances

Leave a comment:

• Aussiestatman
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks, great work. So if my rankings hold up like they did in Tokyo earlier this year:!Bekere, Ruth, Gotytom, Yeshaneh, and Tanui fight out the medals. And to add another layer: any of the five who give their all probably won’t have a chance of backing up at full strength for a fall marathon.

• Walsh7
    replied
    2022 World Championships Marathon Teams:

Kenya --
    Women: Ruth Chepng’etich, Judith Jeptum, Maureen Chepkemoi, Angela Tanui
    Men: Geoffrey Kamworor, Lawrence Cherono, and Barnabas Kiptum, (Alternate: Geoffrey Kirui)

Ethiopia--
    Women: Ashete Bekere, Ababel Yeshaneh, Goitom Geberesilssie, (Alternate: Degitu Azimeraw, Hiwot Gebrekidan)
    Men: Tamirat Tola, Mosinet Geremew, Leul Gebresilase, (Alternate: Sisay Lemma, Chalu Deso)

Last edited by Walsh7; 26-05-22, 21:33.

Leave a comment:

• trickstat
    commented on 's reply
    Yes even those countries that have announced selections will be entering their marathon runners at the same time as the rest of their team.

With a bit of research, a partial prospective start list would likely be possible.

• Aussiestatman
    replied
    Originally posted by Aussiestatman View Post
    I believe it’s clear cut, just the order that is a matter of opinion. Take the four Kenyans born within 12 months of each other. Add Hiwot, Dereje, Salpeter, Azimeraw, Angela Tanui, and Ashete Bekere.
    Just reviewing while we have a break until Worlds: Hiwot and Salpeter outside my 10 replaced by Yeshaneh and Gotytom. YY not considered until her second attempt. Normally a rule of mine however impressive a debut is, to not include. Gidey could change that rule.

Leave a comment:

• LuckySpikes
    replied
    I am looking around the internet for start lists for the World Champs Marathons. Any ideas?
    I can't imagine they'd exist yet? Some countries haven't announced their selections yet have they, and some of those that have made announcements have named reserves too (e.g., Ethiopia) so there's no way of knowing yet what the team is.

Leave a comment:

• Aussiestatman
    replied
    I am looking around the internet for start lists for the World Champs Marathons. Any ideas?

Leave a comment:

• Aussiestatman
    commented on 's reply
    No, I don’t but it can be a pointer sometimes towards future performance. I don’t think Gemechu passes Brigid with a few hundred metres to go if Brigid was totally focussed in Lisbon. Kosgei has bigger fish to fry in the fall.
    I think Gidey will finish between the WR and YY’s Hamburg debut time.

• LuckySpikes
    replied

Should the results of Salpeter, Kosgei, and Gotytom last weekend over the half change anything or was it just a hot day?
    Do you use half marathon performances for your rankings? In her post-race interview the winner Tsehay Gemechu said, "The weather is very hot".

Letesenbet Gidey is due to make her marathon debut in Valencia in December!

Leave a comment:

• Aussiestatman
    replied
    I believe it’s clear cut, just the order that is a matter of opinion. Take the four Kenyans born within 12 months of each other. Add Hiwot, Dereje, Salpeter, Azimeraw, Angela Tanui, and Ashete Bekere.
    Should the results of Salpeter, Kosgei, and Gotytom last weekend over the half change anything or was it just a hot day?

Leave a comment:

• Aussiestatman
    replied
    Three of these in Boston on Monday. Seidel should be fourth there if she can handle Etagegne Woldu of Ethiopia?
    Joyciline disappointed but Yeshaneh rises from just outside my top 20 to somewhere between 6 and 10.

Leave a comment:

• Aussiestatman
    commented on 's reply
    even though her 3 previous marathon finishes were 7th, 8th, and 8th they were deep fields of all the best. melly just needs to repeat a 2.18.xx to get a 3rd or 4th at one of those [london, Valencia, whereever else lots of top ten run

• LuckySpikes
    replied
    The 2:18's keep on coming - https://forum.athleticsweekly.com/fo...1773#post41773 - and there's the prospect of Romania being represented in your Top 10 at some time in the future?!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X