Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Are the Ten Best Women Marathoners just now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aussiestatman View Post
    I am looking around the internet for start lists for the World Champs Marathons. Any ideas?
    I can't imagine they'd exist yet? Some countries haven't announced their selections yet have they, and some of those that have made announcements have named reserves too (e.g., Ethiopia) so there's no way of knowing yet what the team is.

Comment

• trickstat
      trickstat commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes even those countries that have announced selections will be entering their marathon runners at the same time as the rest of their team.

With a bit of research, a partial prospective start list would likely be possible.

I believe it’s clear cut, just the order that is a matter of opinion. Take the four Kenyans born within 12 months of each other. Add Hiwot, Dereje, Salpeter, Azimeraw, Angela Tanui, and Ashete Bekere.
    Just reviewing while we have a break until Worlds: Hiwot and Salpeter outside my 10 replaced by Yeshaneh and Gotytom. YY not considered until her second attempt. Normally a rule of mine however impressive a debut is, to not include. Gidey could change that rule.

Comment

2022 World Championships Marathon Teams:

Kenya --
      Women: Ruth Chepng’etich, Judith Jeptum, Maureen Chepkemoi, Angela Tanui
      Men: Geoffrey Kamworor, Lawrence Cherono, and Barnabas Kiptum, (Alternate: Geoffrey Kirui)

Ethiopia--
      Women: Ashete Bekere, Ababel Yeshaneh, Goitom Geberesilssie, (Alternate: Degitu Azimeraw, Hiwot Gebrekidan)
      Men: Tamirat Tola, Mosinet Geremew, Leul Gebresilase, (Alternate: Sisay Lemma, Chalu Deso)

Last edited by Walsh7; 26-05-22, 21:33.

Comment

• Aussiestatman
        Aussiestatman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, great work. So if my rankings hold up like they did in Tokyo earlier this year:!Bekere, Ruth, Gotytom, Yeshaneh, and Tanui fight out the medals. And to add another layer: any of the five who give their all probably won’t have a chance of backing up at full strength for a fall marathon.

Originally posted by Walsh7 View Post
      2022 World Championships Marathon Teams:

Kenya --
      Women: Ruth Chepng’etich, Judith Jeptum, Maureen Chepkemoi, Angela Tanui
      Men: Geoffrey Kamworor, Lawrence Cherono, and Barnabas Kiptum, (Alternate: Geoffrey Kirui)

Ethiopia--
      Women: Ashete Bekere, Ababel Yeshaneh, Goitom Geberesilssie, (Alternate: Degitu Azimeraw, Hiwot Gebrekidan)
      Men: Tamirat Tola, Mosinet Geremew, Leul Gebresilase, (Alternate: Sisay Lemma, Chalu Deso)
      Looks like Peres is added. fight for medals increases to 6 chances

Comment

• Aussiestatman
        Aussiestatman commented
        Editing a comment
        Seidel is out. The top 6 I mentioned will fight for the medals but Seidel and the Belarussian ex-walker are strong enough to finish top 5 if a few of the best have an off day, IMO

• Aussiestatman
        Aussiestatman commented
        Editing a comment
        Peres was added, now injured and out

After Worlds, there are 4 potentially very quick marathons in the second half of the year. Berlin, London, Chicago, and Valencia. Kosgei has the WL now, but I believe 3 or 4 times could usurp it by years end. Gidey is the obvious one in Valencia, but Brigid herself may go again, and YY may take more minutes off her debut. A fourth sub 2.16 might come from Bekere or Dereje.

Comment

London has announced an incredible women’s list with the men named tomorrow

Comment

Strange predictions on this website. Yehualaw?

Comment

Strange predictions on this website. Yehualaw?
            Yeah, where's that come from? There's also a few other events where they've highlighted athletes who aren't entered, e.g., Sandra Arenas in the W 20km Race Walk.

Bold prediction for the Men's Marathon too with Stephen Kissa winning!

Comment

Less than nine hours until the women’s world champs marathon. Hard to see Ruth not winning

Comment

Defending Commonwealth Games Champ is either favourite or second favourite here. Helalia was 37 then and a week short of 42 here but with amazing results into her forties.

Comment

• Aussiestatman
                  Aussiestatman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The combination of a flat course and cool, almost still conditions could elevate Maureen Chepkemoi as a gold medal threat. In my opinion, that is all standing in front of another Namibian gold

The course was far from flat. I was surprised to see Stenson and the Kenyan run away from Helalia with about 6k to go

Comment

58 days until the London Marathon. Doing my research: is Azimeraw in or out?

Comment

Working...
                  X