European Team Championships 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European Team Championships 2023

Interestingly, these have been incorporated in the multi sport European Games: European Athletics Team Championships to join the European Games in 2023 | European Athletics (european-athletics.com)

They had an athletics competition at the last European Games in 2019, but we didn't send a team.

The competition at the last European Games was a 'DNA' competition🙄

GB will probably send a team to this but it won't be a full strength team which has become the norm. And this year a few other teams were below strength also.

TV coverage of previous editions of the European Games has been confined to BT sport, not sure if that's the same again. BBC has coverage of the Multi-Sport European Championships next year and understandably in the past they've avoided these Games as a number of the sports haven't had big names competing.

Comment

Oh, that's right, it was a bizarre format. I was struggling to think why I didn't remember it happening Obviously the silly gimmicks didn't catch on, hence why they're piggybacking on the ETC next time.

Comment

I remember catching a bit of the DNA competition by chance when it took place at the last European Games in Minsk, the format of seeing the same events day after day was flawed so this is a step in the right direction. But in all honesty I’d much rather see the EOC support the 2022/2026 European Championships and make that their European Games. The calendar is chock-a-block as it is

Comment

Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post
          I remember catching a bit of the DNA competition by chance when it took place at the last European Games in Minsk, the format of seeing the same events day after day was flawed so this is a step in the right direction. But in all honesty I’d much rather see the EOC support the 2022/2026 European Championships and make that their European Games. The calendar is chock-a-block as it is
          There is clearly some background politics gong on here with a struggle between the European Olympic Committee who are responsible for the European Games & the Sports Federations who are backing the Multi-Sport European Championships. I am sure eventually only 1 'Games' will last the distance. You have to say that at present you would favour the Multi-sport championships - they have the bigger broadcasting presence and more of the bigger sports federations on board attracting bigger names, this presumably means more $$ which is what it'll come down to in the end of course. There is a bit of an East/West divide in terms of hosts at the moment which is interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladyloz View Post

There is clearly some background politics gong on here with a struggle between the European Olympic Committee who are responsible for the European Games & the Sports Federations who are backing the Multi-Sport European Championships. I am sure eventually only 1 'Games' will last the distance. You have to say that at present you would favour the Multi-sport championships - they have the bigger broadcasting presence and more of the bigger sports federations on board attracting bigger names, this presumably means more $$ which is what it'll come down to in the end of course. There is a bit of an East/West divide in terms of hosts at the moment which is interesting.
            I would guess the opposite - that the European Games will be the one that lasts the longest but that they will integrate more and more - so the individual championships will remain but once every 4 years will be part of the European Games.

As long as the various bodies can work out the financial aspect that seems the more likely - the closer ties between the EOC and the IOC will allow them to have the carrot of Olympic qualification used more and more, which will in turn boost attendance. Swimming has already officially separated itself from the Euro Championships next year (although they are confusingly using the same dates anyway, just not being part of a joint medal table).

Comment

Working...
            X