Best of the best coaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best of the best coaches

Hi all, just wanted to start a conversation following the leaving of the head honchos and the imminent release of the UKA coaching development manifest, where they will appoint subject matter experts

who would you say are the leading coaches across the events, from being established, results, knowledge etc

covering either male or female athletes, track only. Maybe top 3 coaches. Let’s shine some πŸ’‘ light.

short hurdles
    long hurdles
    3000sc

shot put
    discuss
    javelin
    high jump
    pole vault
    triple jump
    long jump
    multi events

That's an interesting topic for discussion. I can't fill in all the areas, but here is who I would go for in some of the respective events:

100 β€” Steve Fudge
    200 β€” Not sure there is a stand-out
    400 β€” Tony Hadley
    short hurdles β€” Would have said Michael Baker, but he is suspended
    long hurdles β€” Marina Armstrong
    800 β€” Andy Young or Trevor Painter
    1500 β€” Andy Young or Trevor Painter
    3000sc β€” Vicente Modahl
    5k β€” Possibly Luke Gunn
    10k β€” Not sure there is a stand-out

shot put β€” Mike Winch
    discus β€” Zane Duquemin
    javelin β€” Michael McNeil
    high jump β€” Would have said Fuzz Caan, but he is suspended
    pole vault β€” Scott Simpson
    triple jump β€” Aston Moore
    long jump β€” Possibly Femi Akinsanya or John Shepherd
    multi events β€” Would have said Toni Minichiello, but he is suspended. Possibly David Feeney / Colin Sinclair / David Hull

Any other thoughts welcome. This is based on my rather limited knowledge of some events!

Comment

• Paps
      Paps commented
      Editing a comment
      David Hull stopped actively coaching about 5 years ago. Lewis Church is self coached, just not reflected on Po10

Consistently progressing athletes is the key for me. There are loads of coaches that have had 1 phenom, then traded off that for longer than they probably deserved.

I think you've got to put John Blackie up there for 100/200. True, he's got a great patch to be recruiting from, but he's getting most essentially from scratch and consistently producing excellent athletes. Obviously Dina is the headline, but there's such a track record behind him.

I think Matt Elias and James Thie probably need a mention from the Welsh contingent too.

Laura Turner is impressive - not plagued by the ego of many others and an eager learner with a sensible head on her shoulders from what I've seen

Stew would likely feature too - done a lot with far less than many others.

Comment

• Stew-Coach
      Stew-Coach commented
      Editing a comment
      I need a couple more lucky years to be in this kind of group I think

• Paps
      Paps commented
      Editing a comment
      People remember your work with Joel, and your work on coach network stuff etc Your reputation goes beyond Yas and Amy. Don’t sell yourself short.

Looking forward to seeing how this year’s additions progress!

I had no idea some of those coaches were suspended! What happened??

Comment

RE: Paps response. Interesting - and certainly correct that John Blackie should be in there. He doesn't flaunt himself on social media either. Matt Elias also doing a superb job. I have to confess I had not heard of James Thie. Laura Turner-Alleyne another very good shout.

RE jjimbojames and the suspended coaches: long story for all three. Minichiello got suspended after a load of complaints were submitted against him, but kept coaching anyway. Probably because he thinks he is above the rules. Michael Baker for filming one of his athletes naked at a competition earlier this summer. Fuzz Caan for verbal abuse towards his athletes. No idea what the disciplinary situation is with each of them currently though.

Comment

Leading athletics coach Rana Reider to be investigated over sexual misconduct claims

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/leading-at...110510130.html

Comment

Originally posted by FieldandTrack View Post
          That's an interesting topic for discussion. I can't fill in all the areas, but here is who I would go for in some of the respective events:

100 β€” Steve Fudge
          200 β€” Not sure there is a stand-out
          400 β€” Tony Hadley
          short hurdles β€” Would have said Michael Baker, but he is suspended
          long hurdles β€” Marina Armstrong
          800 β€” Andy Young or Trevor Painter
          1500 β€” Andy Young or Trevor Painter
          3000sc β€” Vicente Modahl
          5k β€” Possibly Luke Gunn
          10k β€” Not sure there is a stand-out

shot put β€” Mike Winch
          discus β€” Zane Duquemin
          javelin β€” Michael McNeil
          high jump β€” Would have said Fuzz Caan, but he is suspended
          pole vault β€” Scott Simpson
          triple jump β€” Aston Moore
          long jump β€” Possibly Femi Akinsanya or John Shepherd
          multi events β€” Would have said Toni Minichiello, but he is suspended. Possibly David Feeney / Colin Sinclair / David Hull

Any other thoughts welcome. This is based on my rather limited knowledge of some events!
          I'd have Frank Attoh in there for Triple Jump. He has coached two jumpers to 15m+ and is underrated when it comes to his coaching record and skills. He is also Holly Mills Long Jump coach and is moving her back towards top form despite the leg switch.

Comment

Working...
          X