Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greg Rutherford takes up the bobsleigh baton ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greg Rutherford takes up the bobsleigh baton ...

Greg Rutherford is the lastest to follow a now well trodden path for former 'track and field' competitiors...

Wish him all the best ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-sports/58727356

Good for him. As a bobsleigh fan, I’d say he has a reasonable chance of making Beijing, but a medal would be a mountain. Top 15 would be very commendable. Hopefully come February someone will resurrect this post to mock it.

Comment

Good for him, good for publicity and funding for that sport, looks like a good fit. No guarantees of any success of course, but all the ingredients are there; raw speed, strength, technical awareness, timing. There may be more to it than that of course (I wonder how Kilty would go with explosive starts; could be too fast for his team I suppose!) but i wish him luck. He was my least favourite T&F medal winner in London, but I've since warmed to him a great deal (not that he cares!).

Comment

Just curious, as someone who hasn't indulged massively in watching bobsleigh.. what is the view from the 'purists' in the sport? Seeing people easily transition from T+F to Bobsleigh, a sport that they were not likely to have a passion for before; suddenly coming across and taking spots from people who may have worked at it for a long long time?

I wouldn't have a problem with it, but i'm just wondering if anyone has done?

Comment

Originally posted by JamieSLA View Post
          Just curious, as someone who hasn't indulged massively in watching bobsleigh.. what is the view from the 'purists' in the sport? Seeing people easily transition from T+F to Bobsleigh, a sport that they were not likely to have a passion for before; suddenly coming across and taking spots from people who may have worked at it for a long long time?

I wouldn't have a problem with it, but i'm just wondering if anyone has done?
          In the UK team there has been conflict in the past between the military types who make up the backbone & some of the 4x100m runners, whom the military saw as lacking in self-discipline.

Comment

• trickstat
            trickstat commented
            Editing a comment
            That's quite interesting. I know athletics is very much an individual sport well bobsleigh is very much a team one. I suppose the ideal compromise was somebody like Lennie Paul who was in the team about 30 years ago who was both an Army guy and a quick sprinter.
        Working...
        X