Athletes of the Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athletes of the Year

For me, male athlete of the year is a tie between Ryan Crouser and Karsten Warholm. Both completely dominated their event all the way through the season to the DL finals, won the Olympic title and set world records. Crouser was head and shoulders above the opposition, while Warholm dominated despite strong competition from Rai Benjamin.

Female athlete of the year is a bit harder, but I think Yulimar Rojas just edges out Sydney McLaughlin. Both set world records and won Olympic titles, but McLaughlin didn't compete as much internationally. Elaine Thompson-Herah is third: three Olympic gold medals and although no WR, came closer than anyone would have expected to a WR widely thought to be unreachable, but not unbeaten.

British athlete of the year is a clear win for Keely Hodgkinson: British record (and a tough one to beat), silver medal behind a generational talent, and the DL final win to polish things off. Laura Muir second, with a silver medal taking the scalp of the overreaching Sifan Hassan and breaking her own British record; and Josh Kerr third for his silver.

Moment of the Year: that shared HJ gold.

Who are your choices?

I go with you completely on the mens AOY but disagree strongly on the womens. In my eyes the w. omens 100m world record was s et this year by a double olympic champion unbeaten in all major races; far better than Sydney who was also great in one event. Rojasd a good third. . Plse do not tell me about the great fraud of the druggies 10.49 withe 0.0 wind until you have read fully Dr.Linthorpes conclusive report requested and then ignored by the cowards of IAAF.

Comment

Crouser edges the men’s for sheer consistency over a much longer season than Warholm. In the first half of the season you’d have had money on Vetter being in this conversation…..

Thompson-Herah excellent and maybe the single performance of the season, but not as dominant as Rojas. In 8 comps Rojas turned in the perfect record of the 8 longest jumps in the world with a worst of 15.12 (ridiculous DL rule meaning she didn’t win in Monaco when any sane person knows she did really…..). Twice over the old WR.

Brit wise hard to look past Hodgkinson.

Comment

Rojas in one event. ETH two events. Do not forget that.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
          Occasional Hope commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, but no opportunity for Rojas to do two, whereas 100/200 (and indeed relay) is a common combo of very similar events.

I would put ETH above Rojas and McLaughlin. Agreed, her time should be a WR. She faced far stiffer competition than Rojas and the event is generally far more competitive than the W TJ, where relatively few people take it up. McLaughlin simply didn't compete enough.

Warholm edges Crouser for me because I believe whereas Crouser's WR was something that looked within the realms of possibility prior to the season starting, Warholm's 45.94 was far, far beyond anything anyone could have imagined. The greatest athletic performance I have seen in my lifetime.

Comment

For me Warholm and ETH for the reasons Sovietvest gave. Warholm's the one that astonished me.

Comment

I can understand the argument for Crouser, but as Soviet has already said Warholm's performance was the greatest I've ever seen, and the one people will still be talking about in 50 years.

Comment

Crouser the male and overall athlete of the year, and for me it was't even a tough call: Indoor WR, outdoor WR, Olympic Champ and unbeaten DL champ in a real golden era for his event.

Warholm individual performance of the year, ETH female athlete of the year.

Laura Muir Brit of the year for me. I respect that Keely won the DL and Euro Indoors, but I think Laura's run in Tokyo was just a slightly different level in class - 3.54 blew my mind.

Comment

Crouser for me male. Just consummate, and as Christy says it's a competitive event - in fact, can't we tempt some of the Americans over here?!?
                ETH female - she's taken the 100 to places I never thought it would go and triple gold in Tokyo can't be ignored.
                I'd go Keely for Brit athlete. Laura has been impressive, but Keely's overall record and progression
                Male Brit? I guess you can't see past Josh Kerr, but sheesh.

Comment

Originally posted by Sovietvest View Post
                  I would put ETH above Rojas and McLaughlin. Agreed, her time should be a WR. She faced far stiffer competition than Rojas and the event is generally far more competitive than the W TJ, where relatively few people take it up. McLaughlin simply didn't compete enough.

Warholm edges Crouser for me because I believe whereas Crouser's WR was something that looked within the realms of possibility prior to the season starting, Warholm's 45.94 was far, far beyond anything anyone could have imagined. The greatest athletic performance I have seen in my lifetime.
                  Full agreement on that post Soviet

Comment

The man killer event as it is known had the WR broken twice by Warholm. Crouser is a freak of nature in an event with not too much competition compared to the best, unlike this years 400m hurdles competitors. I will never compare meat eating physical freaks with one the greatest performances ever seen.And breaking it out on his own in Oslo.

Comment

I’d say all WR holders are physical freaks by definition and I’m not placed to comment on Crouser’s diet.

As brilliant as Warholm was, he’s not in his own personal stratosphere. He’s clearly the best but Benjamin runs him v close.

Crouser was in a league of his own and the WR he took down by some distance (and exceeded 3 times in total) came from an era of ‘enhancement’. Kovacs and Walsh are good opponents, v high on all time rankings and many would put them higher on legit lists.

In comparing performances the shoe and track technology that have taken track times to a new level have to be factored in. That’s fine - and tech always advances - but it means times must be looked at in a different context and those advances have not been available to heavy throwers. Also rewrites history - we saw the best 3 times in the 400h, but what might Moses or Young have done in this era? In contrast we can safely say that this year Crouser became the best putter ever and by a distance.

Comment

Warholm and Rojas for me. Although I think anyone arguing for Crouser and/or ETH has a reasonable case.

Comment

I’m just going to give it to Crouser on the grounds that 0% of his achievements can be explained by new technology. Can’t be said for anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Grassmarket View Post
                            I’m just going to give it to Crouser on the grounds that 0% of his achievements can be explained by new technology. Can’t be said for anyone else.
                            Good points made by Occasional and Ursus but I still go for Warholm just

Comment

Working...
                            X