Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggut
    replied
    The Bermon report (BG17) was already acknowledged as not being sufficient to confirm causality. It was explicitly acknowledged in the CAS decision in paragraph 523. The amendment of the paper itself to state this has zero impact on the CAS decision as all weaknesses were known, understood and discussed at length by a kamel of experts put forward by all parties to the case.

Leave a comment:

• Occasional Hope
    replied
    With the progress they've made this year at new events, I think Mboma at 200 and Niyonsaba at 5K are going to be unbeatable next year. (I doubt any amended rules would come in that soon.)

Leave a comment:

• Grassmarket
    replied
    Originally posted by jjimbojames View Post
    Ultimately, it is a sport that has a deciding category (sex, not gender) - whatever one identifies as is irrelevant compared to their biology, when it comes to the classification. No one is owed a living, so if they don’t like the rules, they could always just get another job.
    They are free to do what Rugby League did - walk away, form their own governing body & apply for membership of the IPC, World Games or any of the many other non-Olympic federations.

Leave a comment:

• jjimbojames
    replied
    Ultimately, it is a sport that has a deciding category (sex, not gender) - whatever one identifies as is irrelevant compared to their biology, when it comes to the classification. No one is owed a living, so if they don’t like the rules, they could always just get another job.

Leave a comment:

• SprintRelayFan
    replied
    I have a great deal of sympathy for the women who experienced this intersex condition. However, every other woman in the event can’t be discriminated against

Leave a comment:

• drobbie
    replied
    not only should the ban remain but it should be extended to include the 3000, 5000 and 200

Leave a comment:

• Laps
    replied
    IAAF's evidence at the 2019 CAS hearing was that athletes such as Caster Semenya are in effect biologically male. They have internal testes and from puberty produce testosterone at male levels with commensurate male athletic advantage.. They should have no place in women's athletics.

Adjusting times would just drag the sport further down into a labyrinth of unsustainable and unenforceable rules. It is one of the worst ideas I've heard.

I think there is limited likelihood of intersex individuals taking drug therapy to get below testosterone limits. Their performance would drop off a cliff. Semenya only keeps raising that subject in interviews to embarass WA and whip up public sympathy.

WA should carry out research to cover the remaining events and include them in the regulations if there is sufficiently robust evidence.

Leave a comment:

• runfast
    started a topic Misleading Testosterone Report

Misleading Testosterone Report

Punished for a crime not committed

The 29 th Olympics has come and gone and a double Olympic champion was not allowed to compete because of her refusal to undergo drug therapy to cap her testosterone level. I am, of course, referring to Caster Semenya. It is somewhat ironic that a sport that is trying to rid itself of drugs should propose that athletes should take drugs if they wish to take part in certain international events.

The governing body of athletics argues that athletic performance is in some way proportional to the level of testosterone in an athlete’s body and formulated new rules accordingly. In the new rules the level of testosterone permitted is capped at 5 nmol/L. Athletes can undertake drug therapy to lower their level to the cap, but what about athletes that have a low level. Presumably, using the argument of equal opportunity they would be allowed to raise their level to the cap. The result could be that all athletes would be taking drugs; to either raise or lower their testosterone level. Surely nobody wants that. It is argued that the new rules “level the playing field” for female athletes; but, in fact they are “levelling the player”(athlete).

It has recently been announced that a research paper used in formulating the new rules may have been misleading, so what is the way forward from here?
    I think that the new rules should be suspended and a new policy formulated. If the compelling urge of the governing body to use the testosterone level remains, then create a formula to adjust race times to a Computer Adjusted (CA) time.

Returning to Caster she must feel as though she has been punished for a crime she hasn’t committed, so I say let her run and adjust her results not her physiology.

It seems that World Athletics president Sebastian Coe has precluded the possibility that the rules may be suspended or cancelled according to the following quotation from BBC teletex 23Aug 21

“DSD rules ‘here to stay’ insists Coe

World Athletics president says the rules that bar female athletes with high levels of testosterone
    From participating in events between 400m and a mile are “here to stay”.

It comes after a correction to 2017 data which was part of evidence used to introduce the rules
    The correction led to calls for a suspension of the rules for athletes with differences of sexual development’
    But Coe said: “We absolutely stand by those regulations.”

What do you think?

Working...
X