'Project sub 3' - A proposal for men's 4 x400 relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post

I think a lot of people took for granted just how good we had it in this country with regards to 400m talent on the men's side. To have *four* blokes with season's bests under 44.7 must seem like almost a fairy tale if you told it to people now... except yourself, me and others on this board saw it with our own eyes!

Hopefully we'll be getting back to those days soon, and with AHW, Dobson and Ed Faulds all being young and talented enough, maybe those days will be seen sooner than expected.
    Those halcyon GB days dont come along that often, but I suppose miracles happen. Don't lets forget that the team that ran so brilliantly in the mid 1990s also beat the almighty USA in 1991 at Tokyo.

Comment

Just digging this thread back out.

As its worth everyone paying a little attention to the relays this weekend over in Loughbough, as an effort has been made to have as many domestic top 400m runners be competing in the relays and to make them each competitive to see better racing and hopefully be able to push those splits and of course what's better practice than an actual relay!

Comment

• carterhatch
      carterhatch commented
      Editing a comment
      As if the chance to see KJT running in a 4x400 wasn't enough, now you have me all excited, Stew-coach! Pity I cant afford the stream! {I am sure it was televised by the Beeb back in the day...]
      Last edited by carterhatch; 18-05-23, 10:15.

• Stew-Coach
      Stew-Coach commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't even realise it was on runnerspace! frankly that's appalling

Stew-Coach

Thanks for the insight from LIA 2023. I haven't been able to see the men's 4x400 from the event, but from what you have hinted to on another thread I think Project Sub-3 is making progress.

I followed up the instagram link you posted about the 45.1 split... hence ... If all the main contenders stay fit. healthy and happy there is a chance we can move onto Project Sub2.58 [ MHS- Dobson-Faulds-AHW ]
    Last edited by carterhatch; 22-05-23, 15:19.

Comment

• Stew-Coach
      Stew-Coach commented
      Editing a comment
      Initial stats show:
      Ed - 45.1 / Alex 45.5 / Ben 45.6 / Joe 46.0 / Sam and Rio 46.1

As an example

PS, can watch the men's here (on my drive)- https://1drv.ms/v/s!An0_VQGI9z1gkGIH...5lDBE?e=2hIVqa

• carterhatch
      carterhatch commented
      Editing a comment
      Many thanks Stew- Coach, thoroughly enjoyed watching that race, there are very few events more thrilling than a close 4x400...

Anyone hoping that with KJT representing an England quartet in yesterday's 4x400m at the Loughborough International, that it might indicate that she possibly could do more in the future.... Yeah, that's most definitely not happening.

An amusing interview she did with AW post said relay race.

Comment

With Ed Faulds now running 46.04 in Cyprus today, I suggest that the best GB men's 4x400 for Budapest is (if all fit) basically decided. I would go MHS - Dobson - AHW - Faulds, and suggest that foursome is well equipped to run 2:58 at least, with something like MHS 44.8, Dobson 44.5, AHW 44.5, Faulds 44.8 = 2:58.6.

Comment

We got 44.3 (Dobson) and 44.5 (AHW) last year - I’d like to think they could go quicker in 2023 and with only one champs to focus on. I’d imagine they’d leave AHW on anchor - a lot of pressure for the youngster to anchor in a WC final, and AHW ran a measured, tactical leg to secure the gold last year

Comment

• MysteryBrick
          MysteryBrick commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd normally agree, but having seen Faulds split a solo 44.9 as an U20 and then run a 46.1 indoors before injury, I just think he has *it*, and would thrive under the pressure.

• MysteryBrick
          MysteryBrick commented
          Editing a comment
          Martyn Rooney anchored GB as a first year U23 in 2007, and although Faulds has dramatically less Champs experience I think he is every bit as good.

• jjimbojames
          jjimbojames commented
          Editing a comment
          Not saying he’s not good enough - more whether selectors would take the risk!

Oh dear ... watching the Rabat DL did my project no good. I don't know the extent of the injury that caused MHS to pull-up ... cramp, possibly, but knowing his luck... AHW looked less than impressive, I could seek mitigation, inside lane, two races in a week, the occasion, et al, but it is one step forward two steps back ...

Comment

• MysteryBrick
          MysteryBrick commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm willing to give AHW a pass, two races in two days in different continents is daft, and the 45.5 was much better.

MHS... fingers crossed!
      Working...
      X