No announcement yet.

'Project sub 3' - A proposal for men's 4 x400 relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will be interesting to see if Toby M runs any 4x4 legs for his college - and what he can do, if he does, given how terrible his start is…

Comment

• MysteryBrick
      MysteryBrick commented
      Editing a comment
      Given their best 4x400m this year is 3:21, I can't really see that happening...

• jjimbojames
      jjimbojames commented
      Editing a comment
      He’s got a few years yet there - he can join the relay party when he’s older! 😂

I was thinking of doing a review of my 'Project Sub-3' catchment list [ refer page 1] in the near future, meanwhile, the link is to an article a year old now, but it gives some background to Kevin Metzger, I wonder what form he might show this season with another winter behind me. Still fairly young [I had assumed he was late 20s early 30s], still learning the event and clearly committed.

https://www.theathleteplace.com/the-...kevin-metzger/

Comment

• RunUnlimited
      RunUnlimited commented
      Editing a comment
      Perhaps more athletes should be like Metzger when they reach a seeming dead end in an event

RunUnlimited - agree entirely that more athletes should consider trying other events. I return to my push for more talent identification - both externally [ Jump to success - getting former gymnasts to try triple jump], to internally, endurance athlete giving steeplechase a try... I wish UK Athletics would create a post dedicated to such ....

Anyway, good to see that Thomas Staines has emerged with a PB in 800, another name on my original catchment list for Project Sub-3 [though I am dare to dream and hope for sub-2.58 by Paris] as he had been running 400s before he seemed to vanish...

Comment

Some revealing comments from Iwan Thomas in his Q&A with Athletics Weekly, asked who he thinks could break his British record he said MHS has everything needed to run the same time as Iwan and faster. He then predicts that Dobson will smash whatever time MHS puts down

Comment

Very good 4x400m squad from Loughborough at BUCS smashing the Championship record with 3:05.11. Charlie Dobson with ~45.2 on leg 1...!

Comment

• trickstat
          trickstat commented
          Editing a comment
          Worth pointing out that the British 4x400 record has still only been beaten by the US. We are one of a select group of countries whose 4x400 record is quicker than 4 times our national record in the individual event.
          Last edited by trickstat; 03-05-22, 11:48.

• CAML
          CAML commented
          Editing a comment
          Regarding the British Record, how about
          MHS- 44.8
          Faulds- 44.2
          Dobson- 43.5
          AHW- 44.0
          I'll admit I've tweaked the times of Faulds and AHW, but not inconceivable.

• MysteryBrick
          MysteryBrick commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd say not inconceivable, but let's have a team running 2:59.9 first!

The Athletics Weekly magazine for May 22 are picking up on the forum zeitgeist with an article 'One Lap Wonders'. I'm afraid I dont subscribe so cant tell you what Ed Faulds, Alex Haydock-Wilson and Charlie Dobson say about their 400m future - but I do hope they mention Project Sub-3,cough cough, 2.58 ...

Also, a Ben Jeffries, from Po10, very much US based, ran a PB of 46.00 at the weekend...

Comment

According to Ian Hodge twitter, a GB 4x400 ran a 3:03.71 tonight [ 2/6] in Greece. The quartet consisted of Joe Brier, Ben Higgins, Rio Mitcham and AHW. That must have taken a little bit of organising - a sign that UK Athletics are nurturing those green shoots behind the scenes? Ian Hdoge reminds us in his tweet that 'any team wishing to make top 16 qualifiers for Eugene currently requires 3:02.50' ...

Comment

Working...
          X