No announcement yet.

The big funding debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of fortunate relay runners but largely what I would have expected. Next challenge is turning at least half of those podium potential into regular medal winners…

Comment

A slight rejigg of the criteria for Podium funding by my eyes, in previous years a top 5 or top 6 finish was needed to get onto the top level, Sawyers was 8th in Tokyo and Bell 7th. I’m surprised Gourley was dropped completely, Doha was his first major championship and he came 7th. Would have kept Hudson-Smith on Potential personally

Comment

No men's 4x4 relay funding.

Comment

Some of the podium potential seem fortunate - has MCB been injured?
          I would have Desiree rather than Ashleigh in the relay squad - seems crazy not to give her any funding at all

Comment

• Occasional Hope
            Occasional Hope commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, Melissa C-B was out most of the year with injury.

• LoveSprints1
            LoveSprints1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Absolutely Desiree is coming back. Hopefully, this 'snub' will fuel her next season. Bar the Commonwealth which is decided on rankings, the trials will sort out the athletes' selection.

• jjimbojames
            jjimbojames commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes - DH over AN seems more logical

I’m not sure how the process works but some people on Twitter complaining they have not been added again, but only found out online. I think it’s fair the likes of Butchart coming off are told in advance (and any new ones being added) but UKA can’t write to every athlete to let them know they won’t be added. The likes of a Jess Judd should look at the system and know there’s no chance - I’m all for selecting as many athletes making the QT as possible for a Champs, but the funding is not the same rationale.

Comment

Judd turned down funding a few years ago.

She has subsequently changed her mind based on her comments yesterday but I wonder if she perhaps wasn't considered as a result?

Comment

Originally posted by Ladyloz View Post
              Judd turned down funding a few years ago.

She has subsequently changed her mind based on her comments yesterday but I wonder if she perhaps wasn't considered as a result?
              More likely because she is way off any realistic Olympic standard.

Comment

Id love to see a review of all the funding choices for the past 3 Olympic cycles and see how they played out. Like how many on podium reached a podium, and so on.

Also the relay choices, how many of them do you see being in Paris? (even though this is a one year funding cycle, the criteria is to look forward to Paris) across all the relays btw, as surly this may have alos included some of male 400m guys who have shown great development this year from where they were, and showing potential for Paris (in this i obviously call Ed as a prime example)

Comment

Also as a note, the WCP policy states there was only ever going to be 68 places, so having removed the mens long relay squad of 6? who maybe gained on those places being free? and was added or kept on by luck?

Comment

Originally posted by Stew-Coach View Post
                    Also as a note, the WCP policy states there was only ever going to be 68 places, so having removed the mens long relay squad of 6? who maybe gained on those places being free? and was added or kept on by luck?
                    What subtlety have i missed??. Jodie Williams should be on the top level as she was a deserved finalist. Sod the stuff about being a relay runner; ridiculous !!! After all she is on the same list as Prescod... wow a great joke by the funding committee..

Comment

• Paps
                      Paps commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I suspect as a relay athlete she may be categorised as Podium A (£28k) whilst Podium B is £21.5. Personally I'd take the extra money over the flattery of being allocated funds on performance as an individual rather than that as part of a relay.

I believe the money is the same for both tiers, so maybe JW asked to stay there - puts less pressure on her.

I’m interested to see which relay Dobbin got in for - we’re yet to see the proposed move to 400m, but she seems to lack the out and out speed for the 4x1, when the likes of Henry are fighting to come back and youngsters like Hunt come into the mix

Comment

• Stew-Coach
                      Stew-Coach commented
                      Editing a comment
                      6 per relay so would indicate she is in the short relay squad this time

Note last cycle was long relay…….

• Stew-Coach
                      Stew-Coach commented
                      Editing a comment
                      6 per relay so would indicate she is in the short relay squad this time

Note last cycle was long relay…….

Originally posted by jjimbojames View Post
                    I believe the money is the same for both tiers, so maybe JW asked to stay there - puts less pressure on her.

I’m interested to see which relay Dobbin got in for - we’re yet to see the proposed move to 400m, but she seems to lack the out and out speed for the 4x1, when the likes of Henry are fighting to come back and youngsters like Hunt come into the mix
                    i suppose there is a considered difference between a 5/6/7 placed athlete in in any event which is not also a relay and a relay athlete. Just cannot see it the point.
                    So, if JW had got a silver medal she would still not be a Podium top performer because she is also a relay runner as well. Tommy rot if ever i heard it.
                    As for supposed less pressure on her to be tucked away in the relay group rather than with the top 17 athletes, that seems truly absurd to me.
                    As an Olympic finalist who will want to attempt better next July, she will be under pressure whatever the funding people and JW herself think

Comment

if Prescod is on 28K as a relay performer, maybe he will be able to eat his heart out next year!!.

Comment

not to forget that Gemili is still chosen as a Podium athlete and not just a relay group athlete and his greatest performances in the last few years were as a Relay runner...

Comment

Originally posted by philipo View Post
                          not to forget that Gemili is still chosen as a Podium athlete and not just a relay group athlete and his greatest performances in the last few years were as a Relay runner...
                          ive had a long argument with someone on twitter about gemili, who cant seem to accept hes on funding? , based on past performances hes easily in our top 10 performers over the last 5 or so years

Comment

Working...
                          X