Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tokyo: The Verdict

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-at-tokyo-2020

    Ed Warner has been critical of the performance of the team and the leadership of Coates and Malcolm. Criticising performance on the basis of no golds and finishing 24 in the medal table is very selective. I much better estimation of performances can be deduced from the placing table. I’ve never understood the over emphasis on doing well in the traditional medal table. Venezuela are better placed than us with 1 gold and another top 8 finish if you go down that road. I have no thoughts to offer on Coates and Malcolm as they’ve only just started the job

    Comment


    • Occasional Hope
      Occasional Hope commented
      Editing a comment
      The medal table is useful for public opinion.

  • #17
    https://www.worldathletics.org/compe...1/placingtable

    We were 7th in the placing table.

    I would have edited my previous post but it triggers the dreaded censors if you edit a post a few moments after posting

    Comment


    • MysteryBrick
      MysteryBrick commented
      Editing a comment
      Being lower than Canada and the Netherlands should raise some alarms, mind.

    • jjimbojames
      jjimbojames commented
      Editing a comment
      NED’s success is down to a centralised approach under one main coach. If you get the right people in place, that system will bring results but it’s a mixed bag in other areas….

  • #18
    Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-at-tokyo-2020

    Ed Warner has been critical of the performance of the team and the leadership of Coates and Malcolm. Criticising performance on the basis of no golds and finishing 24 in the medal table is very selective. I much better estimation of performances can be deduced from the placing table. I’ve never understood the over emphasis on doing well in the traditional medal table. Venezuela are better placed than us with 1 gold and another top 8 finish if you go down that road. I have no thoughts to offer on Coates and Malcolm as they’ve only just started the job
    Ed Warner is sniping after getting the boot. Sour grapes if you ask me.

    Malcolm came into the job while in the middle of the first lockdown, and is still getting his feet under the table so to speak, so to be judging him on this Olympics is completely insane.

    If GB are doing poorly in Paris 2024, then we can have a pop.
    Last edited by RunUnlimited; 09-08-21, 20:48.

    Comment


    • #19
      Also let's be honest, given we hosted a home Olympics and World Championships under the tenure of Warner and De Vos they should have left the sport in a much healthier position than they did both financially and performance wise.

      Remember they paid a quarter of a million for a trophy for the World Cup in London in 2018. What a stupid waste of money. And that whole event was a bit of a disaster (it was actually not a bad idea on paper if not exactly original but the marketing and organisation was completely botched.)

      Coates and Malcolm will be judged for good or ill post Paris. One thing Coates does seem to have progressed is establishing much better working relationships with the Home Countries Federations. That was quite toxic a few years ago which Mr Warner has to take some accountability for.

      Comment


      • #20
        Originally posted by Ladyloz View Post
        Also let's be honest, given we hosted a home Olympics and World Championships under the tenure of Warner and De Vos they should have left the sport in a much healthier position than they did both financially and performance wise.

        Remember they paid a quarter of a million for a trophy for the World Cup in London in 2018. What a stupid waste of money. And that whole event was a bit of a disaster (it was actually not a bad idea on paper if not exactly original but the marketing and organisation was completely botched.)

        Coates and Malcolm will be judged for good or ill post Paris. One thing Coates does seem to have progressed is establishing much better working relationships with the Home Countries Federations. That was quite toxic a few years ago which Mr Warner has to take some accountability for.
        You raise an excellent point.... Warner's reputation was most built because he just happened to be the guy in charge of UKA during the 2012 Olympics and 2017 World Championships. But if you looked at the wider running of athletics in the UK, it was characterised by numerous spats between regional athletics bodies and UKA, mostly about inadequate funding, misplaced spending and an overall lack of much needed support. For him to start criticizing Malcolm, when he's barely been in the job and didn't have the "luxury" of having regular gold medal getters like Mo, Ennis-Hill and even Rutherford to give a rosier look at athletic ability in this country than there actually was, is hypocrisy of the highest order.

        Hey Ed, where was the investment into the throws? The talent scoutin measures from other sports to try and recruit the next generation of sprinters, jumpers or throwers?

        Comment


        • #21
          Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
          Actually, one more general point on Covid and the Olympics - all the restrictions helped to prevent the games being derailed. In athletics I think the only medal contender unable to compete was Sam Kendricks?
          Loved your fair and honest analysis OH.
          We know our Male athletes with salient exceptions s were poor and bloody lucky to be selected in a number of cases
          Wonder if for the next few years with 2 WCs and an OG we will see the same BIG TEAM obsession.whi has insisted upon here.
          I do agree with the comments about our athletes doubling up for long distance events.Madness in Tokyo.
          Can we all take Scott's early 2022 efforts with a certain scepticism.
          Look forward to the funding document this Autumn. Probably may have a number of WTFs in it.

          Comment


          • #22
            Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post

            You raise an excellent point.... Warner's reputation was most built because he just happened to be the guy in charge of UKA during the 2012 Olympics and 2017 World Championships. But if you looked at the wider running of athletics in the UK, it was characterised by numerous spats between regional athletics bodies and UKA, mostly about inadequate funding, misplaced spending and an overall lack of much needed support. For him to start criticizing Malcolm, when he's barely been in the job and didn't have the "luxury" of having regular gold medal getters like Mo, Ennis-Hill and even Rutherford to give a rosier look at athletic ability in this country than there actually was, is hypocrisy of the highest order.

            Hey Ed, where was the investment into the throws? The talent scoutin measures from other sports to try and recruit the next generation of sprinters, jumpers or throwers?
            Have to fully agree with this post. Thought Warner was self serving panjamdrum.

            Comment

            Working...
            X