Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LoveSprints1
    commented on 's reply
    Female throwers do not have to be overweight. Valerie Adams is strong and athletic without an ounce of fat as were Sophie Hitchon and Judy Oakes. I have never understood why so many women throwers become so big. I know young, talented, teenage throwers who have chosen to give up as they feel the only way to progress is to get big and they are not prepared to do so. Hopefully, Valerie, Mayho and Allman will open doors for all sizes and shapes.

• carterhatch
    commented on 's reply
    What's the betting that each one of the young crop were inspired by Sophie Hitchon- I don't know what she is doing now, but I really hope it includes some involvement in athletics, it would be a massive step back if not.
    Last edited by carterhatch; 13-08-21, 16:01.

• MysteryBrick
    replied
    Oh, it's a fantastic performance, and I'm really excited by the number of women (and young women, no less) congregating above 64m in the hammer - 9 this year, with 5 of them U23. Only 18 British women have ever broken 64m in history - it shows how the Hammer depth in this country is the best it has ever been.

Leave a comment:

• Ursus
    replied
    Well I’m melting down (even if she only needed another 10 cm to go 2nd).

Above comments are fair, but still a very good achievement and hopefully she can achieve 70 this season. The more domestic strength we have the more likely world class is to emerge.

The likes of her and Allman are in danger of giving female throwers a good name. It’s a great example for others to see some of the more athletic types prospering too.

Leave a comment:

• carterhatch
    commented on 's reply
    Fair enough chaps ... always like a Mysterybrick Metric, just thought it warranted a mention plus she certainly dispels any stereotypes of a hammer thrower

• jjimbojames
    commented on 's reply
    Sadly, I think it’s testament to how far behind in world standards we are in the throws, and hammer particularly had a dearth beneath Sophie - massive achievement and rightly celebrated, but she’s still 3.5m off of even qualifying for a global, and then probably 10m off winning. Running the 2nd fastest British 1500m time gets you a medal

• MysteryBrick
    commented on 's reply
    I think it's because 2nd in the a/t list is still a decent way off World Class.

For context - 2nd in W100mh - 12.53, 2nd in M400m - 44.37, 2nd in W1500m - 3:57.90, 2nd in MTJ - 17.81m - each of those (and I have genuinely picked random events) is a World Class performance that is going to place you highly in a major final. 69.44m would have put you 21st, a long way off the final in Tokyo.

• carterhatch
    replied
    As ever Ian Hodge provides us with domestic milestones... Jessica Mayho has thrown 69.44 to go 2nd on the all time list - it strikes me, if that had been a sprinter or middle distance run our forum woud have gone into meltdown at such an achievement.

Leave a comment:

• Stew-Coach
    commented on 's reply
    And commonwealth standard too
    Rounding out a nice year for him, England and British Senior champ and now this. Shame as he has been capable of 8+ all season. but glad its coming together for him now. He is a nice/good lad and works hard

• Loop-guru
    replied
    At the same meet Tom Mortimer knocks three seconds off his best to go sub 3.40 with a time of 3:39:22. Thats our 8th u23 under 3:40

Leave a comment:

• Loop-guru
    replied
    Big PBs for Adelle Tracy and Ellie Baker tonight at the BMC event in Warford. Both crossed the line in 4.06:54 knocking significant lumps off their respective PBs. Info courtesy of Ian Hodge's Twitter Feed.

Leave a comment:

• Occasional Hope
    replied
    Alex Farquharson has jumped 8.01 - our only man over 8m outdoors this year.

Leave a comment:

• Loop-guru
    started a topic UK Outdoors August 2021

UK Outdoors August 2021

Courtesy of Ian Hodge ever reliable twitter feed - Kevin Metzger with a big pb and a sub 46 400m to boot. 45.97 at Nuneaton today. Predicted that we would have six sub 46 by the end of the year in one of my posts for which I received some flak on here, we now have seven so I was'nt optimistic enough. Most are young enough to improve further so I am predicting at least 1 sub 45 and 8 sub 46 by end of 2022.
Working...
X