No announcement yet.

UK Outdoors August 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 second pb for Will Battershill in the Steeplechase 8:32, 5th UK and Commonwealth qualifying time. Big breakthrough and more to come next year I feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Christy93 View Post

So glad he has indicated a desire to have a crack at the 200, the event looks perfect for him. No predictions, but neither the 100 or 200 British records should survive Reece's career - Far too much talent for that.
      I can bear to wait for all this talent endlessly hyped up here to manifest itself
      . Not the first GB sprinter to promise much and then disappear.
      So he is going to beat 9.87 and 19.87A something to look forward to.
      Last edited by philipo; 18-08-21, 19:31.

Comment

• carterhatch
        carterhatch commented
        Editing a comment
        well let me add another to watch ... a young Scottish 800 runner (as if they dont have enough) Katie Johnson u17 (-7 dont know what that means exactly but young!) very tall, ran a storming 400 in relay (having won the 800 shortly before)

Efe Okoro has been chipping away at his PBs for the last few years, he could yet have a Dwayne Cowan-esque twilight to his career

Good result from McKinna, the Tokyo situation was unfortunate, she’s clearly in shape

Comment

And now Alex Haydock-Wilson runs a staggering 44.7 split to overhaul Efe Okoro on the final leg of the senior 4x400M who went into the final lap with a 30 metre lead. Chris McAlister also looked really good on the opening leg for England.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
          MysteryBrick commented
          Editing a comment
          Now this I like! Always keen on anyone who can split sub-45.

• SprintRelayFan
          SprintRelayFan commented
          Editing a comment
          One of the athletes who was there is saying it ended up 44.40…

carterhatch the -7 refers to the number of years they have left in age group terms (up to U23 level) - so Keely Hodgkinson is a -4, for example and, at the other end of the spectrum, Martyn Rooney is a 12!

Comment

• carterhatch
          carterhatch commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks marra, I don't know why I find that so difficult to understand.

Look out for Amy-Eloise Markovc to possibly take a full minute off her two mile outdoor PB in Eugene this weekend.

Comment

• LuckySpikes
          LuckySpikes commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL, I should say. But any PB is great so she'd be delighted with 10:43, right?

A strong finish and a big 1:44.98 PB for Thomas Randolph in Lahti (FIN), ahead of Joonas Rinne 1:45.96, the first time sub-1:46 for the Finn.

9:03.96 for Izzy Fry, 3rd in the 3000, a 5s PB. Sarah Healy was 2nd in 8:57.04 PB.

The Kenyan Ferdinand Omurwa ran a pair of 10.09 races, both wind-legal. It was raining a bit and looked a little chilly judging by the women leaving their "tights" on for the preceding 100m.

The meeting director must have got a BOGOF offer on young British athletes to pace races with both Ben Greenwood & Sarah Calvert (twice) doing that job.

EDIT : Also an 8s PB for Alex George, 4th in the 3000 in 7:51.06.
        Last edited by LuckySpikes; 19-08-21, 18:55.

Comment

• carterhatch
          carterhatch commented
          Editing a comment
          As Ian Hodge notes, Thomas Randolph's run makes it 'A record seven Brits now sub 1:45 in 2021'. All the chaps should be applauded for a very notable milestone, and i hope they all carry their fitness and form into 2022 and, with some judicious selection, each get an opportunity to run at one of the major events.

Good improvement from Daniel Bainbridge to go 2nd in this year’s spear rankings with 75.53 PB.

Well done to him but still some way short of international standard.

Comment

An embarassment of riches in the 800m for sure, and a good job too as the P of 10 on male athletics this year makes a rather depressing picture in a whole raft of events both track and especially field events.
          The 800m fascinates because we do not know who will come out of the field to medal at globals or regionals in the next couple of years. Got to be an athlete with the fiercest of finishes. Who will it be.? A little disappointed that Giles did his most convincing runs indoors but somebody may well surprise us next year; its never been more clear that Diamond League has at best a tenuous connection in many events with medal winning potential in the globals or even regionals. In feeling a little disappointed by our guys in Tokyo, i wonder what odds you may have got in America if, just before their Trials, you had predicted that no American would have been in the top six? in Tokyo; they had Brazier, Hoppel, Murphy and Jewett. That looked good on paper.😏

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
            SprintRelayFan commented
            Editing a comment
            I don’t see Giles as the one to do
            It at global level. I think a fit rowden most likely next year, Dustin most likely over the next couple of years and burgon most potential - but only if he can stay fit!

Originally posted by Aussiestatman View Post
          Look out for Amy-Eloise Markovc to possibly take a full minute off her two mile outdoor PB in Eugene this weekend.
          9.21.98 behind Niyonsaba and a few others

Comment

Originally posted by Aussiestatman View Post

9.21.98 behind Niyonsaba and a few others
            Yep, good run by Amy-Eloise, probably converts to 8:38 or so for 3000?

Niyonsaba (9:00.75) is getting too good at this distance lark ... What with Mboma and Masilingi too, how long before WA tries to ban DSD women from all track events?

Comment

• Dundee42
              Dundee42 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hopefully not too long.

• Aussiestatman
              Aussiestatman commented
              Editing a comment
              Paris DL this weekend?

• Aussiestatman
              Aussiestatman commented
              Editing a comment
              Missed her chance in Paris. Stayed in the US to run a mile

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

Yep, good run by Amy-Eloise, probably converts to 8:38 or so for 3000?

Niyonsaba (9:00.75) is getting too good at this distance lark ... What with Mboma and Masilingi too, how long before WA tries to ban DSD women from all track events?
            It is clear to me that this DL meet at Eugene, hyped up absurdly by the Americans as some sort of second Olympics, is no such thing if last nights distsnace stuff was anything to go by; the 5K by Hassan and the 2 miles was fully indicative to me of relatively tired mentally, physically and unmotivated athletes when you look at the times, who came across the world from the OG for a money incentive which is not the point of the OG.
            Gidey, Worku, Obiri and the other East Africans were way down on their best of a couple of months ago and have probably done their stuff for this season or they are still back in training for the Brussels/Zurich meets
            14.27 by Hassan suggests she is still affected by her glorious achievements of Tokyo, but the idea that she wanted to attack 14.06 is way off reality. She has never threatened that time as she is an athlete that basically uses her finish speed in most 5/10K races..

Comment

• MysteryBrick
              MysteryBrick commented
              Editing a comment
              Generally the people who perform were those who weren't there or who underperformed, while the people who did well quite rightly don't give a toss. If Richardson beats the Jamaicans it won't matter at all, as they are the ones with the Olympic medals.

That said, suggesting Hassan going for 14:06 was unrealistic is slightly batty, given she has run 29-flat and 3:53 this year... she is clearly capable of the WR.

• Occasional Hope
              Occasional Hope commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't think ETH got the memo

• trickstat
              trickstat commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree with mystery that 14:06 is a feasible target for Hassan but her Tokyo efforts mean that it wasn't the best time for her to go for it.

Scott dead last

Comment

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

As I understand it, WA was trying for that but could only produce evidence sufficient for CAS to agree for 400 to 3000.

Comment

• jjimbojames
                jjimbojames commented
                Editing a comment
                Not even that high - just to 1600m (basically the results of CS and a couple of others). The success over 200m and now with FN over longer distances is helping WA’s cause to widen it, but they may rewrite records before it’s done - CS always held back, potentially to avoid giving too much extreme data…

Not sure if everyone saw, but Alex HW ran in Luxemburg today winning in 45.58

Comment

Working...
              X