UK Outdoors August 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Outdoors August 2021

Courtesy of Ian Hodge ever reliable twitter feed - Kevin Metzger with a big pb and a sub 46 400m to boot. 45.97 at Nuneaton today. Predicted that we would have six sub 46 by the end of the year in one of my posts for which I received some flak on here, we now have seven so I was'nt optimistic enough. Most are young enough to improve further so I am predicting at least 1 sub 45 and 8 sub 46 by end of 2022.

Alex Farquharson has jumped 8.01 - our only man over 8m outdoors this year.

Comment

• Stew-Coach
      Stew-Coach commented
      Editing a comment
      And commonwealth standard too
      Rounding out a nice year for him, England and British Senior champ and now this. Shame as he has been capable of 8+ all season. but glad its coming together for him now. He is a nice/good lad and works hard

Big PBs for Adelle Tracy and Ellie Baker tonight at the BMC event in Warford. Both crossed the line in 4.06:54 knocking significant lumps off their respective PBs. Info courtesy of Ian Hodge's Twitter Feed.

Comment

At the same meet Tom Mortimer knocks three seconds off his best to go sub 3.40 with a time of 3:39:22. Thats our 8th u23 under 3:40

Comment

As ever Ian Hodge provides us with domestic milestones... Jessica Mayho has thrown 69.44 to go 2nd on the all time list - it strikes me, if that had been a sprinter or middle distance run our forum woud have gone into meltdown at such an achievement.

Comment

• jjimbojames
          jjimbojames commented
          Editing a comment
          Sadly, I think it’s testament to how far behind in world standards we are in the throws, and hammer particularly had a dearth beneath Sophie - massive achievement and rightly celebrated, but she’s still 3.5m off of even qualifying for a global, and then probably 10m off winning. Running the 2nd fastest British 1500m time gets you a medal

• carterhatch
          carterhatch commented
          Editing a comment
          Fair enough chaps ... always like a Mysterybrick Metric, just thought it warranted a mention plus she certainly dispels any stereotypes of a hammer thrower

• Occasional Hope
          Occasional Hope commented
          Editing a comment
          Every little improvement is to be applauded though, so well done to her.

Well I’m melting down (even if she only needed another 10 cm to go 2nd).

Above comments are fair, but still a very good achievement and hopefully she can achieve 70 this season. The more domestic strength we have the more likely world class is to emerge.

The likes of her and Allman are in danger of giving female throwers a good name. It’s a great example for others to see some of the more athletic types prospering too.

Comment

• LoveSprints1
          LoveSprints1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Female throwers do not have to be overweight. Valerie Adams is strong and athletic without an ounce of fat as were Sophie Hitchon and Judy Oakes. I have never understood why so many women throwers become so big. I know young, talented, teenage throwers who have chosen to give up as they feel the only way to progress is to get big and they are not prepared to do so. Hopefully, Valerie, Mayho and Allman will open doors for all sizes and shapes.

Oh, it's a fantastic performance, and I'm really excited by the number of women (and young women, no less) congregating above 64m in the hammer - 9 this year, with 5 of them U23. Only 18 British women have ever broken 64m in history - it shows how the Hammer depth in this country is the best it has ever been.

Comment

• carterhatch
          carterhatch commented
          Editing a comment
          What's the betting that each one of the young crop were inspired by Sophie Hitchon- I don't know what she is doing now, but I really hope it includes some involvement in athletics, it would be a massive step back if not.
          Last edited by carterhatch; 13-08-21, 16:01.

Kirsty Law’s Indian Summer continues falling an agonising 5 cm short of becoming just the 7th British woman to throw 60m in the disc.

Tying that in to the earlier comments around Mayo, I vividly remember one of the 60m club, Shelley Drew as was, saying words to the effect that she wasn’t prepared to completely change her physique and if her throwing suffered so be it. IIRC she copped a bit of flak for that.

Comment

• Christy93
          Christy93 commented
          Editing a comment
          The tennis players Agnieszka Radwanska copped flak for saying something similar a few years. She essentially said she is a woman before she is a tennis player and if not having big muscles means she can't win a grandslam, so be it, but she will not work to drastically change her natural physique.

• LoveSprints1
          LoveSprints1 commented
          Editing a comment
          That was a ridiculous comment by Agnieszka Radwanska, which I had forgotten. Who asked her to get big muscles? and TBH many female athletes are muscular with amazing physiques. Big muscles are not a prerequisite to be a great tennis player. I am talking about athletes in some throwing events being morbidly obese, unnecessarily, and that impacting how throwing for women is perceived.

• Christy93
          Christy93 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I remember it taking me by surprise at the time, it came across as a bit of a dig at the bigger hitting women who were dominating the sport. She is one of the most technically gifted (her hands were just sublime) players ever, her racquet control was insane, but she didn't have the power (and wouldn't work for it) to compete and seemed bitter about that.

Courtesy of Ian Hodge:

45.57 400 PB for Alex Haydock-Wilson just now.

Seven men under 46s for GBR this year, three of whon are U23s and one is an U20, and most of them weren't in Tokyo. MHS is the oldest of them (26). I know it was disappointing this year, but there is lot of talent there - We just need to develop it.

MHS is hugely talented, but we need to get him fit and stable - If we can manage that, we have a proven 44mid runner. Dobson is next on the team sheet for me - I love a 200 man with endurance on that second leg, I think he could put down a really tasty split, and I expect him to be in the 44s before long. Throw in Chalmers, Faulds, Haydock-Wilson, perhaps Brier or Metzger if they continue to progress, and things look quite positive. The ingredients are there to get well under 3mins.

Vic Ohuruogu 51.99 at the same meet.
        Last edited by Christy93; 13-08-21, 21:05.

Comment

• carterhatch
          carterhatch commented
          Editing a comment
          hmmm.. a comment seemed to have been lost... anyway, I dare not mention the 'R' word, but Christy93, your input on 'Project Sub3' thread would be welcome.

• Sprintfan
          Sprintfan commented
          Editing a comment
          Delighted by both runs. VO would be great to see her in an individual spot and a relay!

carterhatch - He also ran a 100 pb the same night - isn’t it you who likes them to show diversity

Comment

• carterhatch
          carterhatch commented
          Editing a comment
          you refer to Alex Haydock-Wilson running a 100 pb? I was recently shocked t o discover that Ojie Edoburun had never run a 400, never, it seems a startling over sight to me that such a 'unit' might never have even been encouraged to try for just club match relay ....

• SprintRelayFan
          SprintRelayFan commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry yes! Yes, he’s clearly trying a few different things (ahw) all power to him!

Originally posted by Christy93 View Post
        Courtesy of Ian Hodge:

45.57 400 PB for Alex Haydock-Wilson just now.

Seven men under 46s for GBR this year, three of whon are U23s and one is an U20, and most of them weren't in Tokyo. MHS is the oldest of them (26). I know it was disappointing this year, but there is lot of talent there - We just need to develop it.

MHS is hugely talented, but we need to get him fit and stable - If we can manage that, we have a proven 44mid runner. Dobson is next on the team sheet for me - I love a 200 man with endurance on that second leg, I think he could put down a really tasty split, and I expect him to be in the 44s before long. Throw in Chalmers, Faulds, Haydock-Wilson, perhaps Brier or Metzger if they continue to progress, and things look quite positive. The ingredients are there to get well under 3mins.

Vic Ohuruogu 51.99 at the same meet.
        The late blossoming of Victoria Ohuruogu is surely one of the most unlikely athletics stories of the year.

Comment

• LoveSprints1
          LoveSprints1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Great to see Victoria Ohuruogu coming through. Perhaps like Jodie Williams she just needed to develop at her own pace without pressure. She is also being coached by her sister, after Lloyd Cowan's death, and that must also help her progression. Women's 400m is even more exciting.
          Last edited by LoveSprints1; 14-08-21, 10:02.

Jessie Knight was a late entry in the Resisprint International in La Chaux-de-Fonds. 54.78 in 2nd behind Folorunso, 54.65.

49.25 & 49.55 PB respectively for McAlister & Chalmers behind Vaillant, 48.80.
        Last edited by LuckySpikes; 14-08-21, 12:27.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
          Jessie Knight was a late entry in the Resisprint International in La Chaux-de-Fonds. 54.78 in 2nd behind Folorunso, 54.65.

49.25 & 49.55 PB respectively for McAlister & Chalmers behind Vaillant, 48.80.
          La Chaux-de-Fonds.... Take those results with a pinch of salt....

Comment

• jjimbojames
            jjimbojames commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree in principle, but Jessie and Chris have run faster this season already elsewhere

• MysteryBrick
            MysteryBrick commented
            Editing a comment
            My thoughts. It's not a big PB for Chalmera either.

Guy learmonth has run 48.06 in his first 400 for four years. Best time since 2012

Comment

Not setting the world alight, but for someone like learmonth trying the 400 for a season or so when he's been knocked down the pecking order in his favoured event by quite a few is a sensible decision I would say. Gotta be at least a 400m slot for the Commonwealth's for the taking.

Comment

• jjimbojames
              jjimbojames commented
              Editing a comment
              A good point. Whilst obviously not at his best this year, he’s ranked 3rd Scot over 800m and now 5th over 400m (potentially rising further in today’s final). I doubt the 1500m guys (ranked 1/2 on the Scottish rankings) will double in Birmingham, with the WCs and Euros.

I doubt he’d do it, but would love to see Wightman in Scotland’s 4x4 team next year
          Working...
          X