Missing Athletes - British Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Athletes - British Championships

Having looked through the British Championships invite list i was surprised not to find either Max Burgin, Amy Hunt or Max Law in their events.

I dug a little deeper and found the following on the Information for Athletes

Invitations to compete at the British Athletics Championships are sent to senior and under 20 athletes only. In exceptional circumstances athletes from the Under 18 and Under 17 age groups who are in line for selection to the season’s major international championship will also be accepted via agreement with their national event coach.
    I dug deeper looking at the selection policy laid out by UKA for the World Athletics Championships

SECTION 1: SELECTION PROCESS
    Eligibility
    1.1. To be considered for selection, athletes must:
    a. Compete in the event in which they wish to be selected at the British Athletics
    Championships
    I dug deeper into the selection policy...

d. Be 16 years or older at 31 December 2019 (i.e. born in 2003 or earlier), with the exception of the following:
    i. athletes must be 18 years or older at 31 December 2019 (i.e. born in 2001 or earlier) to be considered for selection in the shot put and hammer throw; and
    ii. athletes must be 20 years or older at 31 December 2019 (i.e. born in 1999 or earlier) to be considered for selection in the Marathon and 50km Race Walk;

It seems to me that UKA are in contravention of their own selection policy by saying that U18 and U17 are not invited to the British Champs (unless some form of prior agreement is in place) when the policy stipulates that athletes MUST compete at the British Champs and MUST be over the age of 16 with the exception of the SHOT and HAMMER and ULTRA Distance events which they MUST be 18 by the end of 2019.

Given that both Max Burgin and Amy Hunt have got the Doha Qualifying times they should also be invited to the British Champs and Max Law who has the British Champs Invitation standard on 5 occasions in 2019 should also be invited to compete.

I think those athletes are the exception and in essence, UKA wouldn’t expect to pick any U18 athletes for senior Champs, as most will rightly go to their respective age group one. No contravention - they just invite them if they want to (I hope they do, even if the athletes don’t go to Doha, as good experience) and think they’re good enough, and in doing so, make them eligible for the World Champs.

Comment

It's not a contradiction / contravention. Normal course of events is none of the younger age groups, but if younger ones are invited they must meet the minimum criteria (which I suspect are IAAF minimums too, so it would make no sense to pick them when the IAAF would reject them).

I'd suspect that either their coach has said they would decline a place, or the national event coach has determined that they are too young to be competing at this stage. I'm not sure too many would argue with waiting a couple of years for those athletes to develop a little more, but I know there are arguments either way.

Comment

The 3 Throws Fan mentioned are all in the top 5 in the UK senior rankings and should be invited to the national champs. That would be good experience for them; they prob won't win, but they wouldn't be humiliated either.

But I certainly err on the side of caution where international champs and youngsters are concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by Ursus View Post
          The 3 Throws Fan mentioned are all in the top 5 in the UK senior rankings and should be invited to the national champs. That would be good experience for them; they prob won't win, but they wouldn't be humiliated either.

But I certainly err on the side of caution where international champs and youngsters are concerned.
          This is exactly the point I was making. These 3 atheltes have exceeded the standard required to be invited to the Champs and two of them have exceeded the World Champs A-Standard but would not be eligible for selection because UKA have decided that U18s are not invited to the British Champs despite them being old enough to be selected for the World Champs.

This is the British Champs I'm talking about. Old enough to compete on the global stage as all 3 have done yet suddenly they're not old enough to compete at a domestic event.

Comment

Just because they haven't been invited yet it doesn't mean they won't get an invite in due course.

Remember they are aiming to peak later this Month at the Euro Juniors. Perhaps it has been agreed to take a rain check for now and discuss with them/their coaches after this. The British Champs are at the end of August so no rush.

Comment

taking the title of this thread to also include the notion of athletes missing because of injury and illness ...

took this comment fromm another thread

Originally posted by Sovietvest

Fully agree with all your comments, RunUnlimited. I do think however, that whenever a nation develops strength in depth, one or two emerge from the pack to be true world class. It's not a stretch to imagine Langford ending his career as a 1:42 guy with a global medal or two.
              not sure about Kyle, though he does remind me of a Tom Mckean, but does anyone know what has happened to Daniel Rowden, he hasnt run at a;ll in 2019 according to Po10 ... I was looking forward to seeing what this young man might do this season.

Comment

Just to add to the comments in this thread and the July 2019 thread:

Yes it is true that the world championships are much later this year, but much of the rest of the season isn’t. The Birmingham GP, Paris DL, Zurich DL, Brussels DL and British champs have been delayed but the majority of the other big meets have already taken place or are coming up in the next few weeks. So athletes are running out of chances to attain the standard.

No sign of a lot of our better athletes- Gemili, NMB, MHS, Doyle, Green or any of our second string 400 hurdlers, Hitchon hasn’t attained the standard and our male hammer throwers (after Miller) aren’t close to it. Women’s LJ hasn’t been great so far this year.

Comment

MHS is running Monaco. I think to be fair, it’s worth remembering most of our athletes don’t get in the big races. Some of the tier down are where they should be aiming. Window is until 1/9/19.

Gemili is with a new group - they opened early and shut down again. I think they’ll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladyloz View Post
                    Just because they haven't been invited yet it doesn't mean they won't get an invite in due course.

Remember they are aiming to peak later this Month at the Euro Juniors. Perhaps it has been agreed to take a rain check for now and discuss with them/their coaches after this. The British Champs are at the end of August so no rush.
                    I know that, from speaking to one of the coaches, one of the athletes has not been invited because "they're U18"

Comment

Originally posted by Ladyloz View Post
                      Remember they are aiming to peak later this Month at the Euro Juniors. Perhaps it has been agreed to take a rain check for now and discuss with them/their coaches after this.
                      Makes sense to me. Let the juniors focus mainly on winning events at their "own age group" and then use the full events as a learning curve. No point forgoing the confidence boost that can be gained from being successful at your current level while still developing.

Comment

Working...
                      X