No announcement yet.

Tokyo Olympics day 7 - Thursday 5 August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thiam's 54.68 javelin hasn't quite sewn up the gold... Vetter can throw a long way : she will need a big one in group B . Not sure anyone else can close up...

Comment

Womens 4 x 100: Lansiquot gained ground, DAS zoomed off and Neita seemed to ease off but looked pretty majestic. These girls not finished with their time. But consigned to a silver only. Unless the Jamaican girls mess up......

Comment

• alfie
        alfie commented
        Editing a comment
        You can never make assumptions about relays ! Will be almost an unusual final if someone doesn't mess up ...

Keeping fingers crossed.

• carterhatch
        carterhatch commented
        Editing a comment
        well done., Ladies, getting a national record is a fine achievement, keep it up for a final.

• SprintRelayFan
        SprintRelayFan commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought Lansiquot looked particularly strong. I think this will be Philipp's last outing but she's put in a real shift

So happy to see the results overnight.

Comment

Well done to our HJ ladies. Creditable result for Pozzi although in the kind of regulation time he’s been running for years.

But how good was Crouser? Totally dominant and all bar one of his puts would have been good enough to win. Unquestionably the greatest series in shot, and probably any event, history. Six valid puts with a worst of 22.54. The average was an astonishing 22.86 which in itself would have won by 21cm and been ranked equal 7th in history. Just a shame he couldn’t quite cap it off with a WR.

Oh, apart from history, why can’t the women do a decathlon now?

Comment

• carterhatch
          carterhatch commented
          Editing a comment
          i have been critical of morgan Lake, perhaps unfairly, but that is a good qualifying round by both our ladies, I only ask for SB, better PB, from the Team GB athletes. Someone else mentioned that Ms. Lake, would benefit from returning to, at the very least, training for multi-events, I wonder what her second best event is?

• trickstat
          trickstat commented
          Editing a comment
          I remember it being mentioned that Lake's strength and weaknesses in the heptathlon were quite similar to Thiam's - very good HJ, decent thrower, decent LJ, OK hurdles not so good on the flat running events.

The decathlon for women is a bit of an enigma as there doesn't seem to be much high-level discussion about it. I do feel that if it is brought in you do need to give a few years' notice so that those who are currently lacking in pole vaulting experience can gain some.

M 20km Race Walk live and on-demand at https://gem.cbc.ca/live/1921275971732 (VPN needed for Canada)

Comment

I'm guessing GBs 4x1 was Ujah-Hughes-Kilty-NMB? Very good job to make the final. I'll be quite surprised if that line up wins - bronze will be a good result. I'd go for broke and chuck Reece on anchor.
          Last edited by Christy93; 05-08-21, 11:03.

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
            SprintRelayFan commented
            Editing a comment
            If you can be faffed trawling through the BBC's live pages they have both the men's and women's to watch. Interestingly the BBC said that Ujah had come in for Gemili which surprised me

• Occasional Hope
            Occasional Hope commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, Ujah was the least impressive leg there so that makes sense. Also, you obviously wouldn't want Reece on the lead off

• SprintRelayFan
            SprintRelayFan commented
            Editing a comment
            No indeed not, or indeed Mr Hughes. I think I just always think of CJ as having that first leg sewn up as he has such a great start. I think I'd have thought first choice would have been CJ-Zharnel-Adam-NMB or even possibly dependent on how well Kilty has been running in practice CJ-Kilty-Adam-Zharnel

Another Gold for Italy! What a time they're having!

Massimo Stano winning the 20km Race Walk from Japan's Ikeda & Yamanishi. Very good walk by Callum Wilkinson in 10th. Bosworth 25th.

Comment

So it turns out the Jamaicans didn't need McLeod to win gold in the hurdles. One of the surprises of the championships there; Holloway was a good sport immediately applauding Parchment. Pozzi did well to make the final this time.

Our heat in the w4x1 looked like a final. Brilliant run by the girls. However Jamaica and the US have faster women to bring in for the actual final whereas we had our A team in the semi. Good to see Dina fit.

The men ran reasonably, I see Reece not trusted to take part

Morgan Lake made the final with 1.95 autoQ, Emily Borthwick didn't manage the PB I had hoped for so didn't, but equalling her current PB is a fair result.

Pichardo looked stunning with that 17.98.

Crouser totally dominant.

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
              SprintRelayFan commented
              Editing a comment
              And Burundi providing Phillipo's point about athletics being a truly global sport!

• trickstat
              trickstat commented
              Editing a comment
              I suspect you actually mean Burkina Faso but the global sport point still applies.

• SprintRelayFan
              SprintRelayFan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes I do. God commentators have been doing that all week, and now I've started it!

The seedings for the women's 4x4 heats are an absolute joke.

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
              SprintRelayFan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes I fear if they qualify they'll get a crap lane for the final, but you can never quite tell. They were crap for the 4x1 as well. There should be a better way to do it than just on SB

• trickstat
              trickstat commented
              Editing a comment
              One option might be to use the fastest times during the qualifying period?

• SprintRelayFan
              SprintRelayFan commented
              Editing a comment
              Or to take in past performance, so the top 2 from the last worlds automatically get drawn in different heats at least!

Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post

Morgan Lake made the final with 1.95 autoQ, Emily Borthwick didn't manage the PB I had hoped for so didn't, but equalling her current PB is a fair result.
            Borthwick did very well although she doesn’t look like she’ll be able to go much higher. Lake has a higher ceiling although I suspect we’ll see another 1.95 or so from her in the final.

I’m one of those who wonder what Lake could do in the hep now she’s a bit older, stronger and without all the teenage prodigy stuff. Don’t think she’d ever be a world beater but probably has the potential to at least equal her HJ ranking.

Comment

And so to PV
              On world rankings, Sidorova, Stefanidi, Nagoette.
              On SBs Nagoette, Sidorova, Bradshaw.
              I won't ask anyone for their top 3 picks as I'm sure they're too nervous!

Comment

Holly has the ability. It's the temperament which has always been a bit iffy.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
                  MysteryBrick commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I thought she'd sorted it at Doha, when she jumped brilliantly, but then the indoors this year was also a bit of a shitshow... Everything crossed.

Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
                Holly has the ability. It's the temperament which has always been a bit iffy.
                As far as we’re aware she’s fully fit. She’s experienced. She’s at an age where she should be at her physical peak. She’s set a lifetime best this year. She’s 3rd on this season’s lists and no-one’s jumped more than 5cm higher than her.

I said before that this final will define her career. Crossing anything crossable!

Comment

The first 7 women all failed at 4.50 - Sidorova the first over

Comment

Phew! She clears her opening height. Only her and Sidarova clear so far first time at 4.50

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
                      SprintRelayFan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh and Nagoette misses it too. That's a surprise
                  Working...
                  X