Tokyo Olympics day 7 - Thursday 5 August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by trickstat View Post
    Holly Bradshaw told Greg Rutherford that she wants to do all 3 of the champs next summer, pointing out that the Commonwealths will be a straight final.
    as i have already said, everybody should be doing all three, except multi eventers who should be able to do 2

Comment

• 8649 ... pretty good , eh?[/QUOTE]

Outstanding.!!

Comment

• i agree but utilised the US coaches and facilities, I just watched Greg rutherfords episodes on you tube when he was in the US with Dan Pfaff and living in Arizona. Interesting stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Croadymeister View Post

How I wish he could find a performance like that again in the final but often hard to do that when medals are at stake
          Its obvious that some of those athletes who set PBs in the semis will be unable to replicate in 2 days time. Impossible to know but I hope we have tough and honest pace unlike the 800m

Comment

• Christy93
            Christy93 commented
            Editing a comment
            We should have an honest pace. Cheruiyot has remarked on Hocker's kick in a slow race a couple of times this week, so I think the Kenyan's will make it hard. McSweyn my strong fancy to medal if the Kenyans push on early.

• Originally posted by alfie View Post

Think everyone would have loved to see KJT completing the Hep and seeing what it brought her...

But it wasn't to be this time : fortune willing a fit Kat will duke it out with Thiam next year in the World Championships. Mouth-watering prospect...
          KJT statement seems to suggest that she may not do WC next year
          Theres an easier CG, and a WC in 2022.

Comment

How I would love him to be offered whatever he wants to become our Performance Director,however don't think it would happen in a million years. Certainly see a significant improvement in 200m & 400m performances.
            Oy, what a Stadium. 12500 permanent seats for a WC. Lots of seats thrown up to bring a semblance of respectability to the number of those watching.
            It will be a very different American set of performances in 2022.

Comment

• trickstat
              trickstat commented
              Editing a comment
              That's an interesting tangent from a comment about Michael Johnson??!

Surely they should have built a 50,000 stadium that would never get filled?

• In terms of remaining medal chances:
            M1500m - three men in the final, Wightman looked excellent and Kerr is in red hot form. The favourites didn't look unassailable, so who knows.
            W1500m - in my mind, if Muir runs for bronze she will get bronze. If she runs for gold, she will come 5th or 6th. Let's see which she does...
            M4x100m - no US means this is a wide open field - basically the same team as 2019 with Ujah over Gemili on leg 1. GB could win this or could come 5th.
            W4x100m - should be nailed on for a medal as long as they keep the baton in hand, but Jamaica will be too fast.
            W4x400m - will be a right old scrap for Bronze with Poland, likely to just miss out unless Jodie performs some heroics
            W400m - never say never... but this is a 1% chance. Top 6 (my prediction) would be absolutely incredible for Jodie Williams.
            MMarathon - Hawkins has a history of running super well at major champs, but this is surely very unlikely.

Comment

• carterhatch
              carterhatch commented
              Editing a comment
              if we can achieve another 4 from that list, thus a total of 6, (a fair return given the various circumstances) I just hope that UK Athletics do not then deny there are some real issues to be addressed ...

• Laps
              Laps commented
              Editing a comment
              On combined SBs Poland will have a tough task.
              Williams, Yeargin, Pipi, Nielsen - 49.97, 50.96, 51.08, 51.42 = 2.22.43
              Kaczmarek, Swiety-E, Holub-K, Baumgart-W - 50.72, 51.04, 51.45, 51.92 = 2.25.13

Cuba have even more to find though Veitia was impressive

Of course the Poles find something extra for the relay, but they have a lot to find imo.
              Last edited by Laps; 05-08-21, 16:40.

• jjimbojames
              jjimbojames commented
              Editing a comment
              Diamond over Nielsen for me. She ran 50.1 in the mixed…we need that. Not sure Pipi comes in but she or Yeargin running a 51.low lead off would be ideal…

• Originally posted by MysteryBrick View Post
            In terms of remaining medal chances:
            M1500m - three men in the final, Wightman looked excellent and Kerr is in red hot form. The favourites didn't look unassailable, so who knows.
            W1500m - in my mind, if Muir runs for bronze she will get bronze. If she runs for gold, she will come 5th or 6th. Let's see which she does...
            M4x100m - no US means this is a wide open field - basically the same team as 2019 with Ujah over Gemili on leg 1. GB could win this or could come 5th.
            W4x100m - should be nailed on for a medal as long as they keep the baton in hand, but Jamaica will be too fast.
            W4x400m - will be a right old scrap for Bronze with Poland, likely to just miss out unless Jodie performs some heroics
            W400m - never say never... but this is a 1% chance. Top 6 (my prediction) would be absolutely incredible for Jodie Williams.
            MMarathon - Hawkins has a history of running super well at major champs, but this is surely very unlikely.
            Think if we're including Hawkins (despite my optimistic bronze prediction for him based on that past form!), you have to add in Lake, McColgan and Butchart - I don't think for a second any of them will medal, or even be that close to one, but they are in the final and odd things can happen in finals (people tripping, weather etc).

If we can get to 5 or 6 medals that will be broadly in line with most of other historical performances - I said in a thread elsewhere that we've only exceed 8 medals in athletics 3 times since WW2 (Tokyo, Moscow and LA) and two of those times were heavily impacted by boycotts. 4-8 is the usual range of GB performance.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
              MysteryBrick commented
              Editing a comment
              Strongly disagree - Hawkins has been 4th and 4th at the last two Majors and has a strong track record in unpaced races.

Butchart was 8th in 2017, didn't make the final in 2019 and his SB is 13:20 when those at the sharp end have run 12:50 or quicker.
              Lake didn't make the final in Doha, and her best outdoor jump this year was her 1.95m in qualifying, when 5 women are over 2m this year.
              McColgan is having a good year but her 5000m was bad, and her SB (and PB) is a minute down on the top 4.

I've already said Hawkins is very unlikely, but there is at least plausible scenario in which he wins a medal. There isn't one for the other three.

• SprintRelayFan
              SprintRelayFan commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree with all of MB's comment. I can't see any scenario where Butchart or Lake ever win a global medal unless they have major advances. McColgan is more likely but not this time. Hawkins unlikely but not impossible, plus marathon probably most unpredictable

• marra
              marra commented
              Editing a comment
              I think you're both being a *little* harsh. As I said, I don't expect any of those 3 to medal. But I think there is a plausible scenario where it *could* happen - ie PBs from them, under performance from others and so forth. They are in the 1%/very unlikely catagory but not complete no hopers.

The PV last night is a good example of what I'm talking about - all bar 4 of the finalists were knocked out at a height lower than they achieved in qualifying, despite conditions being better than they were in qualifying!

• Any ideas on who the Americans will run on their women's 4x4? They are going to have to leave out either one of their individual finalists, or one of Mu / McLaughlin / Muhammad.

Comment

• jjimbojames
              jjimbojames commented
              Editing a comment
              I suspect Hayes beats Felix = she gets a place on the team, Felix beats Hayes = Muhammad on the team with Felix; no way Felix doesn’t run the final. Error by Muhammad to not run the heats just in case, as she’d pick up a medal, even if not running the final, and add it to her collection.

• Jessie Knight to come into the relay?

I would opt for Pipi - Yeargin - Knight - Williams

Comment

• Occasional Hope
              Occasional Hope commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, but Pipi had one more round of the 400.

• jjimbojames
              jjimbojames commented
              Editing a comment
              Good point - I’d forgotten about Yeargin’s DQ!

• SprintRelayFan
              SprintRelayFan commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks JJ. That to me suggests keeping diamond in…

Yeah the Jamaicans never seem to make a mistake in these relays but there is a first time for everything
            Beijing? They messed up there....but so did GB!

Comment

• Tric kstat
              Pathetic comment. Big difference between a 12500p permanent seater and your ridiculous remark about 50000. A world championship deserves at least a decent amount. of seats In any event your remark about a 50000 seater would never get filled How the fuck do you know that. The Coliseum will certainly manage it in 28 fixed
              Have you joined the mystery crew.. every time philipo writes anything we attack and of course disagree. 😒😒😒As if I care!!

Comment

• MysteryBrick
                MysteryBrick commented
                Editing a comment
                When you say sensible things I agree - you can go and look.

• Originally posted by Runner88 View Post
              Jessie Knight to come into the relay?

I’m not completely sure why Pipi was left out today, she ran reasonably well in the individual event and has only run 2 races, the same as Clark and Diamond. 51.5 today from Diamond, I think Pipi could better that slightly. Clark and Nielsen were essentially running for the last berth today and came out with the same time. When performances are factored in, Nielsen’s chances increase 50.4/51.0 in London and 50.4/50.9 in Doha vs Clark’s 50.9/51.2 from Doha in the mixed/women’s 4x4. But there’s not much between them. Jodie Williams would come in and improve our time by a second perhaps. Kazmerek may come in for the Poles and improve their time by half a second, it’s going to be very close. Baumgat-Witan hasn’t done much all season but dropped a 50.2

Comment

• jjimbojames
                jjimbojames commented
                Editing a comment
                Jodie ran 49.6 in Doha - if she commits and has someone to chase down, she may well run a 48.x split. Will be all about the post-final recovery!

• Originally posted by Runner88 View Post
              Jessie Knight to come into the relay?

Why knight? Is that a reward for her shocking 400 m hurdles.
              Lake top 6 No chance unless the others are asleep.
              Butchart Top 6?? ?? I suppose miracles happen.

McColgan Top 6. In the 10k ??? Yes if the East Africans go to sleep.There are a few others as fast as Eilish

Comment

• Originally posted by Iain27 View Post
                Any ideas on who the Americans will run on their women's 4x4? They are going to have to leave out either one of their individual finalists, or one of Mu / McLaughlin / Muhammad.
                Even the usa cannot lose this Goldie or can they? Jamaicans may look good on paper but usa will win,inmy view

Comment

Working...
                X