No announcement yet.

Tokyo Olympics day 7 - Thursday 5 August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An entirely Belgian-Dutch top 4 in the hep. Unsurprisingly the Americans failed to repeat their Oregon scores.

Still gutted for Kat.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
      Occasional Hope commented
      Editing a comment
      Random fact: Belgium used to be the Spanish Netherlands.

• KJT could have won that gold you know.... She was running a very quick 200 m before her calf troubles. Say she did run a 22.9, then today long jumped a 6.60/6.70, and achieved a similar javelin distance that she managed in Doha, and with her much superior 800 to Thiam....

Damn it.

Congrats to Thiam in any case, while Vetter and Oosterwegel were brilliant for silver and bronze.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
      MysteryBrick commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think 6.60m was happening based on 6.10m a month ago. Realistically bronze was a possibility but no more.

• Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
    An entirely Belgian-Dutch top 4 in the hep. Unsurprisingly the Americans failed to repeat their Oregon scores.

Still gutted for Kat.
    Maybe the USA should hold all their future trials in Des Moines or New York so as not to create false expectations?!

Although it would be sensible to keep them in Eugene next year because the World Champs are there too.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
      Occasional Hope commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I suspect they will do really well next year, with a home crowd as well, and some Commonwealth athletes possibly dividing their attention.

• Originally posted by SprintRelayFan View Post
    The 4x1 woman are in lane 5 with USA on outside, men are lane 6 with Jamaica on the inside... (Looking at the men's draw I kept staring to try and see where the US were drawn!)
    In the 4x4 we are out in lane 9 (which seems a bit shitty as an auto Q)
    Middle lanes are Jam, Cub, USA which I fear is where the medals will go, and Pol are on inside of Jam. I think the chances of a medal in this are very scant.
    Have our girls got it to really push that Jamaican team containing Jackson, SAFP & ETH or too much quality

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
      SprintRelayFan commented
      Editing a comment
      I think Jamaica would need to make some big mistakes for us to have a chance of gold. Silver will depend on how fit Dina is - and obvs with the Swiss in there bronze isn't a given...

• Nafi did well. Down on her score last time and of course way down on Jess's in 2012 but she did enough to win. Agree a fit KJT would have had her, but there's always what ifs.

And well done to the two dutch girls - PB and a NR respectively.

Incidentally Denise Lewis's gold medal score would have placed her 4th here...and Nafi's here would have placed 4th in '88
    Last edited by SprintRelayFan; 05-08-21, 13:46.

Comment

• Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

Maybe the USA should hold all their future trials in Des Moines or New York so as not to create false expectations?!

Although it would be sensible to keep them in Eugene next year because the World Champs are there too.
      The conditions in Eugene were exceptional in terms of heat and wind direction, but I think the major issue for the USA was their lack of a training camp before these Olympics.

Comment

• marra
        marra commented
        Editing a comment
        Then add in the wider impact of the pandemic as well - I could well be imagining this, but it seemed like more than usual numbers of US athletes either didn't come over for the Diamond league meets or limited them more than usual.

Which would absolultely make sense both from a risk POV and with the additional hassles put in place by (necessary) restrictions but could mean you end up undercooked against other athletes who might not have been having great conditions but were competition prepared.

Basically, for all athletes, from anywhere, I'll give something of a pass this year. Extra credit goes to those who have been able to excel obviously.

• Superb decathlon by Warner, Olympic record. Presumably only Mayer has ever scored more?

Comment

• trickstat
        trickstat commented
        Editing a comment
        Also Eaton and Sebrle (by 8 points).

• Nothing wrong with NCAA. The bedrock of the USA sports juggernaut.This time round by their Goldie is the only standard they have had a torrid time but the No.1 track and field power watch next year at the WC.They showed too much complacency this time round as in the relay 4x100m
      Great runs by our 3 in the 1500m. What a race for the top 3 in the final.
      Heyward did fine to final in this company. If the race is run tactically it will be sheer luck and positioning which medals for me.
      Watch Hocker.
      Wonder if McSweyn will take it out. One of my fave guys.!
      Congrats to HB on her bronze. 10 years to get there. Wow 2 medals
      The relays will bring the usual foul ups; if the Jamaicans dont win the short relay womens that will add to some amazing things we have seen this week.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
        MysteryBrick commented
        Editing a comment
        Really not sure if Kerr was sandbagging or tired there - if the former, both he and Wightman are real dangers.

• Ashley Maloney with some prime Anglo Saxon there. lol

Comment

• Belgium and the Netherlands have about 0.4% of the world's population but all of the top 4 in the heptathlon?
        Last edited by trickstat; 05-08-21, 15:16.

Comment

• I wonder how many
          athletes who are not the elite will be out buying the super shoes?

Comment

• Great to see Dina running the curve. Def a medal possibility.in the relay.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
              MysteryBrick commented
              Editing a comment
              Possibility? Like the Jamaicans are a possibility? They only qualified 5th, remember...

• Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
            Superb decathlon by Warner, Olympic record. Presumably only Mayer has ever scored more?
            Mayer (9126 WR), Eaton (9045) and Sebrle (9026)

Comment

• Originally posted by trickstat View Post
              Belgium and the Netherlands have about 0.04 of the world's population but all of the top 4 in the heptathlon?
              It's that Fanny Blankers-Koen energy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jogger
                Well done to Thiam, but I do wonder what KJT would have done.

I suppose there always are what ifs when it comes to major champs though!
                Think everyone would have loved to see KJT completing the Hep and seeing what it brought her...

But it wasn't to be this time : fortune willing a fit Kat will duke it out with Thiam next year in the World Championships. Mouth-watering prospect...

Comment

Working...
                X