Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

European Cup 10,000m incl British Champs & Trials - Highgate, Sat 6 July

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • European Cup 10,000m incl British Champs & Trials - Highgate, Sat 6 July

    The European Cup 10,000m returns to the fabulous Highgate Harriers Night of the 10,000m PBs for the 2nd year of a 3 year run. Vinco are streaming the whole evening as usual whilst the BBC are showing the 'A' races.

    With good 10,000m opportunities very limited before Doha athletes will be looking not only to place well but to also run fast.

    Along with the athletes competing for national teams in the 'A' and 'B' races (28 countries represented) we have other Brits entered for the British Championships as well. The British team is detailed here and the likes of Steph Twell & Chris Thompson are also running.

    The Doha standards are tougher than usual - 27:40 and 31:50 respectively.

    Depressing fact - Chris Thompson is the only Brit other than Mo who has run sub-27:40 in the 21st Century. Unfortunately, our best hopes of getting a man to Doha, Dewi Griffiths & Marc Scott, have both withdrawn. I think Nick Goolab (track 10,000 debut but 28:22 on the roads) & Ben Connor could crack 28 minutes on Saturday but 27:40 seems a stretch too far at the moment.

    For the women, we have better hopes of getting someone on the starting line in Doha. Ten British women have broken 31:50 since the turn of the century and we have athletes on the start line in Highgate with the potential to add to that number. Alice Wright needs to take 6s off her recent PB. Eilish McColgan could obviously do it (but would she race the event in Doha?) & Steph Twell too (32:16 in her only 10,000 race but some sub-32 runs on the roads.) Charlotte Arter (32:15 PB here last year) sadly seems to be in poor form the last couple of months. And it seems likely it's too soon for Sarah Inglis to improve last month's 32:11 PB by another 20+ seconds.

    Nevertheless, unless things go well on Saturday there is a real possibility that we could have no-one contesting the men's or women's 10,000 in Doha!

    Anyway, let's take a look at the other athletes in the European Cup races ...
    Startlists here

    Women's 'A' race
    • Last year's winner & European Champion Lonah Chemtai Salpeter (ISR) will be the hot favourite to win again.
    • Portugal are bringing out the big guns - Ana Dulce Felix, Sara Moreira & Jessica Augusto, each of whom has a trophy cabinet chock-full of European titles and medals. They have the 3 fastest PBs in the field. They also have a combined age close to 110 but don't write them off yet. Dulce Felix ran 31:55 in April and Moreira & Augusto both have some very good performances within the last 2-3 years.
    • Other names of note competing - Roxana Barca (ROU) - won the 'B' race last year in 32:30; Sophie Duarte (FRA) - past her best though?; Charlotta Fougberg (SWE); Fionnuala McCormack (IRE) - yet to make the impact on the track that she has on the country but should be competitive; Militsa Mircheva (BUL) - finally fulfilling the promise she showed as runner-up in the 2015 U23 Euro Cross; Carla Salome Rocha (POR) - big 2:24 marathon in London & a 32:05 PB; Jip Vastenburg (NED) - yet to recapture her 31:35 form from 2015 but encouraging 5th at 2018 Euro Cross; Carmela Cardama Baez (ESP) - surprise 2nd in the 2019 NCAA 10,000; Isabel Mattuzzi (ITA) - Steeplechase breakthrough last year (9:34) & debut 10,000 this year of 32:36; and ... Renata Plis!
    • There'll be no Alina Reh (the current European Leader with 31:19) because she's preparing for the Euro U23s. **Edit** Forgot that Sifan Hassan is the European Leader (31:18).
    • Also, sadly, Fabienne Schlumpf has withdrawn. I was curious to see how she'd go on her 10,000 debut after pushing Yasemin Can hard at Euro Cross & also running well on the roads.
    • Trihas Gebre (ESP) has also withdrawn.

    Men's 'A' race
    • The 2-3 from last year's race are here (winner Richard Ringer has withdrawn). I'd make Yemane Crippa (ITA) the favourite to win - he took 9s off his 5000 PB at the Rome DL (13:09) and looks set to take a chunk off his 27:44 PB. However,as the European Champion, last year's 2nd-placer Mourad Amdouni (FRA) can't be ruled out. He's only raced once this year, a 2:09 marathon. ** EDIT ** - Amdouni has withdrawn with a hamstring injury.
    • There's 5 other sub-28 men in the field - Soufiane Bouchikhi (BEL) - 27:41 PB; Aras Kaya (TUR) - 27:48 PB; Ali Kaya (TUR) - 27:24 PB; Daniele Meucci (ITA) - 27:32 PB, still competitive but past his best at this distance?, and Chris Thompson - 27:27 PB. Only the first 3 of those could realistically contend for the win but you never really know what to expect from the Turks.
    • Then there's a whole host of men between 28:00 and 28:30 or close to it - including Antonio Abadia (ESP), Lorenzo Dini (ITA), Sondre Moen (NOR), Amanal Petros (GER), Nicolae Soare (ROU) - my dark horse pick for a top 6 finish, Napoleon Solomon (SWE) & Krystian Zalewski (POL).

    The Women's 'B' race looks quite decent. Competing are the likes of Giovanna Epis (ITA), Weronika Pyzik (POL), Catarina Ribeiro (POR), Katsiaryna Karneyenka (BLR) - 2019 Euro Indoor 1500 finalist, Valeria Roffino (ITA), Teresa Urbina (ESP), Liv Westphal (FRA) and Moira Stewartova (CZE). Unfortunately, Moira's great rival Anna Fordova didn't make the team.
    The Men's 'B' race less so but there's still a few familiar names in there.
    Last edited by LuckySpikes; 05-07-19, 16:50.

  • #2
    Word on the street in Teddington is that Nick Goolab is going to run very fast.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Sovietvest View Post
      Word on the street in Teddington is that Nick Goolab is going to run very fast.
      Hmm... a possibility. On Saturday the temperatures in Highgate will be around 20C rather than the 24/25C it has been today, and by the time the race starts it will be close to 17/18C, so not too bad for running a 10,000m race.

      What do you think Goolab's finishing time will be Soviet?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
        The European Cup 10,000m returns to the fabulous Highgate Harriers Night of the 10,000m PBs for the 2nd year of a 3 year run. Vinco are streaming the whole evening as usual whilst the BBC are showing the 'A' races.

        With good 10,000m opportunities very limited before Doha athletes will be looking not only to place well but to also run fast.

        Along with the athletes competing for national teams in the 'A' and 'B' races (28 countries represented) we have other Brits entered for the British Championships as well. The British team is detailed here and the likes of Steph Twell & Chris Thompson are also running.

        The Doha standards are tougher than usual - 27:40 and 31:50 respectively.

        Depressing fact - Chris Thompson is the only Brit other than Mo who has run sub-27:40 in the 21st Century. Unfortunately, our best hopes of getting a man to Doha, Dewi Griffiths & Marc Scott, have both withdrawn. I think Nick Goolab (track 10,000 debut but 28:22 on the roads) & Ben Connor could crack 28 minutes on Saturday but 27:40 seems a stretch too far at the moment.

        For the women, we have better hopes of getting someone on the starting line in Doha. Ten British women have broken 31:50 since the turn of the century and we have athletes on the start line in Highgate with the potential to add to that number. Alice Wright needs to take 6s off her recent PB. Eilish McColgan could obviously do it (but would she race the event in Doha?) & Steph Twell too (32:16 in her only 10,000 race but some sub-32 runs on the roads.) Charlotte Arter (32:15 PB here last year) sadly seems to be in poor form the last couple of months. And it seems likely it's too soon for Sarah Inglis to improve last month's 32:11 PB by another 20+ seconds.

        Nevertheless, unless things go well on Saturday there is a real possibility that we could have no-one contesting the men's or women's 10,000 in Doha!

        Anyway, let's take a look at the other athletes in the European Cup races ...
        Startlists here

        Women's 'A' race
        • Last year's winner & European Champion Lonah Chemtai Salpeter (ISR) will be the hot favourite to win again.
        • Portugal are bringing out the big guns - Ana Dulce Felix, Sara Moreira & Jessica Augusto, each of whom has a trophy cabinet chock-full of European titles and medals. They have the 3 fastest PBs in the field. They also have a combined age close to 110 but don't write them off yet. Dulce Felix ran 31:55 in April and Moreira & Augusto both have some very good performances within the last 2-3 years.
        • Other names of note competing - Roxana Barca (ROU) - won the 'B' race last year in 32:30; Sophie Duarte (FRA) - past her best though?; Charlotta Fougberg (SWE); Fionnuala McCormack (IRE) - yet to make the impact on the track that she has on the country but should be competitive; Militsa Mircheva (BUL) - finally fulfilling the promise she showed as runner-up in the 2015 U23 Euro Cross; Carla Salome Rocha (POR) - big 2:24 marathon in London & a 32:05 PB; Jip Vastenburg (NED) - yet to recapture her 31:35 form from 2015 but encouraging 5th at 2018 Euro Cross; Carmela Cardama Baez (ESP) - surprise 2nd in the 2019 NCAA 10,000; Isabel Mattuzzi (ITA) - Steeplechase breakthrough last year (9:34) & debut 10,000 this year of 32:36; and ... Renata Plis!
        • There'll be no Alina Reh (the current European Leader with 31:19) because she's preparing for the Euro U23s. **Edit** Forgot that Sifan Hassan is the European Leader (31:18).
        • Also, sadly, Fabienne Schlumpf has withdrawn. I was curious to see how she'd go on her 10,000 debut after pushing Yasemin Can hard at Euro Cross & also running well on the roads.
        • Trihas Gebre (ESP) has also withdrawn.

        Men's 'A' race
        • The 2-3 from last year's race are here (winner Richard Ringer has withdrawn). I'd make Yemane Crippa (ITA) the favourite to win - he took 9s off his 5000 PB at the Rome DL (13:09) and looks set to take a chunk off his 27:44 PB. However,as the European Champion, last year's 2nd-placer Mourhad Amdouni (FRA) can't be ruled out. He's only raced once this year, a 2:09 marathon.
        • There's 5 other sub-28 men in the field - Soufiane Bouchikhi (BEL) - 27:41 PB; Aras Kaya (TUR) - 27:48 PB; Ali Kaya (TUR) - 27:24 PB; Daniele Meucci (ITA) - 27:32 PB, still competitive but past his best at this distance?, and Chris Thompson - 27:27 PB. Only the first 3 of those could realistically contend for the win but you never really know what to expect from the Turks.
        • Then there's a whole host of men between 28:00 and 28:30 or close to it - including Antonio Abadia (ESP), Lorenzo Dini (ITA), Sondre Moen (NOR), Amanal Petros (GER), Nicolae Soare (ROU) - my dark horse pick for a top 6 finish, Napoleon Solomon (SWE) & Krystian Zalewski (POL).

        The Women's 'B' race looks quite decent. Competing are the likes of Giovanna Epis (ITA), Weronika Pyzik (POL), Catarina Ribeiro (POR), Katsiaryna Karneyenka (BLR) - 2019 Euro Indoor 1500 finalist, Valeria Roffino (ITA), Teresa Urbina (ESP), Liv Westphal (FRA) and Moira Stewartova (CZE). Unfortunately, Moira's great rival Anna Fordova didn't make the team.
        The Men's 'B' race less so but there's still a few familiar names in there.
        While this is of less than limited interest to me, I must compliment you Lucky on the post. Good work!

        Comment


      • #5
        Originally posted by Sovietvest View Post
        Word on the street in Teddington is that Nick Goolab is going to run very fast.
        His 28:22 at the Brighton 10k certainly went under the radar a bit. But, I'd still be very surprised if he went under 27:40. I hope he does do it though!

        "Word on the street" always makes me think of gangs hanging around on street corners.

        Comment


        • #6
          Isn't that what Teddington is like though? Posse's of middle distance runners hanging around on street corners, covertly sharing training plans and details of hardcore interval sessions, comparing the latest spikes and wearing identical Nike pro kit ;-) ?

          Shame the male field has worn a bit thin but the women's races are always a little better than the men's I think.

          By all accounts a great event to attend. Shame it's down in London, I'd be attending like a shot if it was somewhere more northerly.

          Comment


          • #7
            Classic Teddington! I hope Goolab has a major breakthrough, as we could do with a Butchart-level 10k runner on the track.

            McColgan is interesting - not sure she’s worked out her best distance, but this could be it. Just hope she runs confidently and attacks the early pace, rather than sitting off and finishing like a train.

            Comment


            • #8
              Originally posted by larkim View Post
              Isn't that what Teddington is like though? Posse's of middle distance runners hanging around on street corners, covertly sharing training plans and details of hardcore interval sessions, comparing the latest spikes and wearing identical Nike pro kit ;-) ?

              Shame the male field has worn a bit thin but the women's races are always a little better than the men's I think.

              By all accounts a great event to attend. Shame it's down in London, I'd be attending like a shot if it was somewhere more northerly.
              Yes - that's exactly what life is like in Teddington (except instead of street corners they hang out by the cricket pavilion in Bushy Park). Yesterday morning Nick Bideau had four of his Melbourne Track club on the cricket pitch doing a rep session. Stewy McSweyn looked like he was running at half the pace of the others (including Gregson) but was moving away from them. In case my Nick Goolab prediction (that I'm about to post) is wrong, to redeem myself I'm going to predict that McSweyn becomes the first non-African born runner to run sub 3:50 or sub 3:32 , sub 7:30, and sub 13:00. Before an Ingebritsen!

              Comment


              • #9
                So, Nick Goolab will run .. .. .. .. . .. . .27:39.

                {Disclaimer - I don't really have any true inside info and was just trying to give the impression that I'm a connected member of the Teddington running community (which I'm not, unless you count nodding at people in Bushy Park or getting out of the way of the real runners during sessions at the track). I'm predicting 27:40 because it's the equivalent time to a 7:42 3000m - Goolab's best performance to date - and I'm assuming he's doing a 10,000 because he thinks that is potentially his best distance.
                Last edited by Sovietvest; 05-07-19, 18:49.

                Comment


                • #10
                  Originally posted by jjimbojames View Post
                  Classic Teddington! I hope Goolab has a major breakthrough, as we could do with a Butchart-level 10k runner on the track.

                  McColgan is interesting - not sure she’s worked out her best distance, but this could be it. Just hope she runs confidently and attacks the early pace, rather than sitting off and finishing like a train.
                  I'm a big fan of Eilish. I just wish she wouldn't spend so much time - even in fast races - in lane 2. I think 3000m is her best distance. I don't see her getting near the same level at 10,000 as she has at 1500. I think she can break 4 at 1500 (she certainly can't have peaked for that 4:00.9 in Rabat). The equivalent at 10,000 would be 30:44.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    So, the 2018 champion Richard Ringer's decision to withdraw from this in favour of the 5000 in Lausanne didn't pay off. He ran a 13:44 SB - 22s outside the Doha standard. Probably indicates he wouldn't have been a factor at Highgate either.

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      There was a very good article on this meet in The Times today. Well worth a read if you can find it.

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Great run, Steph! Good range from McColgan this season

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Excellent from Twell! Salpeter tried to break away early but paid for it at the end. McColgan didn't go as fast as her mum in the 10,000m but its still some achievement to make the World Championship 'A' standard from 1500m thru to the 10,000m!
                          Personally, based on what I saw here today, I'd want McColgan to do the 5000m as her main race in Doha and depending on the scheduling, have the 1500m as her back up event. She's only just started on her journey in the 10,000m and I think it would be wise if she focused on the shorter distances for this year at least.

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Just like to add that this is rich reward for Twell after all those years out after smashing her ankle.... I'm a firm believer that if that accident had never happened, Twell would have been a sub 31 minute 10,000m runner years ago.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X