No announcement yet.

Tokyo Olympics day 3 - Sunday 1 August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britany Anderson is looking good for a medal. Maybe even the gold.

Comment

And a NR for Luminosa Bogliolo, 12.75, taking down Veronica Borsi's 12.76.

Comment

So the Beeb live page is quoting Prescod as saying this:

"To be honest it's just my fault, I’m not going to shy away from it, not going to blame anything, or make an excuse for it.

"I’m a professional athlete. I shouldn’t have false started – I was amped up, I was really, really amped up.

"I’m upset because I feel I’ve let my country down a little bit and I’m very big on high performance and high pressured environments, I’ve always done well so it’s a bit upsetting for me.

"But I’m not going to make an excuse I’ll take it on the chin, and I’ll be back rest of the season, and I’ll make sure I return for the world champs and be on fire."

I've heard worse responses from British athletes over the years.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
          Occasional Hope commented
          Editing a comment
          He does seem to be honest to a fault. He also needs to take a good hard look at his training set up.

• marra
          marra commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree with both comments.

I guess the 'good' thing for the likes of Prescod/Bromell/Okoye etc is that with Eugene next year, then Budapest in 2023 and Paris in 2024, there are several chances at major meets for people to get over mistakes in athletics in the next few years.

• SprintRelayFan
          SprintRelayFan commented
          Editing a comment
          Credit to him for that response. Maybe he can turn things round next year

Whoosh! South Carolina girl for Puerto Rico - Americans let one get away there.

Comment

Then Camacho-Quinn comes out with a stunning 12.26.

Both Brits out.

Comment

12.26 ! Possibility of a WR in the final?

Comment

Camacho-Quinn with 12.26 OR! Sember though, so disappointing. Running so well for most of the year, then flops horribly in Tokyo. What the heck was that?

12.76 isn't a bad time in normal circumstances, but she's run 12.53 earlier this year, and looked in good enough form to at least emulate that time in Tokyo.... yet she never really looked like getting close to that once she arrived here. She'll be really disappointed with that performance. Anything 12.5 and she would be in the final, even a medal threat.
            Last edited by RunUnlimited; 01-08-21, 12:13.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
              Editing a comment
              Cindy looked below par at the British trials too.

• RunUnlimited
              RunUnlimited commented
              Editing a comment
              She did, but I believed it was just a blip on an otherwise solid to good season. Obviously, that wasn't the case.

Ah, shame for Andrea Vargas (CRC) missing making the final by 0.02s. I always root for her because she's had so many (ahem) hurdles to overcome in her life. Her little sister Noelia is in the Race Walk here.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
              Editing a comment
              Wow, those are really different events for siblings. Normally you see more similar choices.

Just watching Discovery Plus/ EuroSports talking over much of the shot medal ceremony focussing on the 100m Men's final, when Valerie getting her medal. Only mentioned when Gong received medal, then talked about Saunders and Adams. Pure disrespect

Comment

10th for Tom Gale. Can be very proud to have made the final and competed well. Still only 23, bright future.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
                Editing a comment
                Yes, I thought the final was as good as he could manage this year. I would have liked to see him over 2.30 though.

OR for Rojas. Her step is incredible - almost looks like she is pulling out of the jump.

Comment

Not *today* related, but I've just seen that Krystsina Tsimanouskaya has been taken from Tokyo, back to Belarus, after criticising the Belarusian regime. Reports say she was forced by Belarusian sports/Olympic officials. Another kidnapping? Belarus have to be banned if it's true.

Comment

• LoveSprints1
                  LoveSprints1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Appalling. It's also rumoured/ alleged that Blessing O may have been "set up" after being very vocal in her criticisms of the Nigerian Olympic Committee

• LuckySpikes
                  LuckySpikes commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Jeez, that is dreadful.

Governmental interference in a country's Olympic Comittee does carry a ban from the Olympics.

Hope she's OK.

• trickstat
                  trickstat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's appalling. They should face very severe sanctions but I bet they don't.

Dobek much better this round. Lopez has to wait for a possible fast loser spot.

Comment

I think it is fair to say that some of Sember's times benefitted probably from the USA boost - she's not the only athlete at these games to be under par compared to her spring US times.

Also, I think that event also has seen a change in times in the last few years - 12.80 was a comfortable qualifer at pretty much all WC/Olympics pre Doha. Now 12.70 doesn't get you in there.

Comment

Hmm, have I been over-estimating Lopez? He looked very uncomfortable on the back straight but then unleashed his kick, nearly making the auto spots.

Comment

• treadwater1
                      treadwater1 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      He’s good, he just doesn’t have any experience on the circuit
                  Working...
                  X