Tokyo Olympics day 3 - Sunday 1 August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CAML View Post
    Some of our athletes may not be good enough, unlucky or employ duff tactics. Its the fourth category, Okoye, Prescod, Asha Philip, who are or have squandered their talent, that there are no excuses for. Prescod had the most potential of any British male sprinter I'd seen, in my time following the sport. It's beyond embarrassing the way he's conducted himself the past few months. It's easy putting your hand up in interviews saying it's your fault. It's a cop out, and something he's becoming rather good at.
    asha philip finished exactly where you would expect her to based on this years form - the semis

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
      SprintRelayFan commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree - and I would say certainly post trampoline injury she’s never been final class.

• trevorp
      trevorp commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. Any suggestion that Asha has 'squandered' her talent is ridiculous. It took great dedication and effort for her to return to anything approaching world class after that horrific injury and she deserves nothing but praise. I would concede that she might have been able to improve even further had more attention been paid to a certain aspect of her conditioning (I trust people can read between the lines here, as I want to be careful what I say) but what do us armchair experts know?

• Bizarre session.

Loved the shared HJ gold.

Rojas is amazing and surely has power to add.

Thought Benjamin looked very good and was less bothered by the win than Warholm. WR surely under threat in the final.

I don’t think Hughes threw away a medal. That would have needed a PB and he’s not looked in that shape. Nonetheless disappointing.

We knew things were going to be tough but if feels like someone needs to do something inspirational to kick start the GB team.

Comment

• Laps
      Laps commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, but I don't think Warholm was trying that hard for 350 metres.

• Would everyone (well, every man in the world) like to share the Paris Olympic mHJ gold with me? I'm genuinely offering. We can settle it right now.
    How do you like the sound of being a (joint) Olympic champion? It will look great on your CV. So long as we _all_ agree -- then why not?

Comment

• For the wrinklys... Think Lindy Remigino followed by Herb McKenley who stepped down from 400m. History does repeat itself.
      Last edited by philipo; 01-08-21, 19:03.

Comment

• trickstat
        trickstat commented
        Editing a comment
        Before my time, but not that of my parents, who are still around.

I believe that Remigino was from Texas which is where Jacobs was born.

Apparently, not only was Remigino's Olympic win a surprise but so was his getting through the US Trials. In fact, he was something of a surprise to have made it through the regional qualifiers they had for the Trials in those days.

• 1952 Final Helsinki.

Comment

• Well got Degrasse in the correct position.😃

Comment

• Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post
          Camacho-Quinn with 12.26 OR! Sember though, so disappointing. Running so well for most of the year, then flops horribly in Tokyo. What the heck was that?

12.76 isn't a bad time in normal circumstances, but she's run 12.53 earlier this year, and looked in good enough form to at least emulate that time in Tokyo.... yet she never really looked like getting close to that once she arrived here. She'll be really disappointed with that performance. Anything 12.5 and she would be in the final, even a medal threat.
          I’m starting to notice a bit of a trend at this Olympics, quite a few athletes who set their SBs in April or May haven’t backed them up, sadly Sember falls into that category, a lot of Americans aren’t setting the world alight either

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
            SprintRelayFan commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m thinking this doesn’t augur well for Kerr

• Originally posted by CAML View Post
          Some of our athletes may not be good enough, unlucky or employ duff tactics. Its the fourth category, Okoye, Prescod, Asha Philip, who are or have squandered their talent, that there are no excuses for. Prescod had the most potential of any British male sprinter I'd seen, in my time following the sport. It's beyond embarrassing the way he's conducted himself the past few months. It's easy putting your hand up in interviews saying it's your fault. It's a cop out, and something he's becoming rather good at.
          If it is so easy to say 'it's my fault', why do so many sports people so regularly blame outside factors then? Anecdotal evidence, of course, but I hear that far more (across all sports, not just athletics) than I hear people take responsibility on themselves.

And surely duff tactics is effectively the same as squandering your talent? Both have the same source - a 'failing' on the part of the athlete in question and the same outcome - not getting the result that you desire.

As someone else said, Asha Philip belongs in the "not good enough at the very highest level" catagory, not the wasting of talent.

Comment

• Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
            More on Krystsina Tsimanouskaya being forced to fly home by Belarusian officials ...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ight-home.html
            (Also, less detailed info on the BBC News site under European news)

Apparently she sought the protection of Japanese police at the airport and is refusing to board the flight to Belarus.

A Belarusian journalist says she wants to apply for asylum in Austria (she competes quite often at meetings in Austria).
            She had better fly back via Singapore then, because any flight from Japan will go the Great Circle route over Russia & Belarus.

Comment

• Posters tell me that Giles ran the only race he could . What ???. In a stacked race with guys of similar best times, Giles pretends he is the pacemaker, a la Diamond League, for the rest of the guys who ought to kiss his arse, and then he imagines they will obediently follow him round until the tape. What was his coach thinking.??
              The very last way to run those 800m races is to lead them round, for goodness sake.All the semis were run with guys tearing it up in the last 100 or so metres.
              Of all the 800m male and female races, only Mu knows that she is good enough to hold them all off. The men's final race with failures by many ,such as Lopez, to run a smart race and qualify, will be a frantic rush in the last 100/150 with guys who do not sit back on the inside and think that the others will part like the Red sea, but get into the right position when it counts.
              Rowden ran a foolish race. I don't accept the argument about our guys times. What about nice PBs such as possibly the Frenchmen who I had hardly heard of before the race, Tual.

Comment

• Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post

I’m starting to notice a bit of a trend at this Olympics, quite a few athletes who set their SBs in April or May haven’t backed them up, sadly Sember falls into that category, a lot of Americans aren’t setting the world alight either
                A LOT of athletes who ran super quick times in either April, May or even early-mid June (the US Olympic Trials primarily) have been well short of those times/distances/throws so far in the actual Olympics. Of course, we're not even half way through the athletics program yet and there are plenty more athletes to see, but seeing the likes of Bromell flame out so limply, when he was coming off running 9.8 low in the Trials, seems pretty damning. Of course, we can't rule out the possibility of an injury-disrupted build up just before the Games (ala Dina), but it has been odd some of the under-performances from some of the big hitters coming into the games.

Then again, we saw Rojas absolutely smoke the triple jump WR and Warholm, Benjamin, Samba and Dos Santos are running well enough to further lower that WR too, so maybe it's just that some folks have come to these most unusual of Olympics better prepared than others.

Comment

• Originally posted by marra View Post

If it is so easy to say 'it's my fault', why do so many sports people so regularly blame outside factors then? Anecdotal evidence, of course, but I hear that far more (across all sports, not just athletics) than I hear people take responsibility on themselves.

And surely duff tactics is effectively the same as squandering your talent? Both have the same source - a 'failing' on the part of the athlete in question and the same outcome - not getting the result that you desire.

As someone else said, Asha Philip belongs in the "not good enough at the very highest level" catagory, not the wasting of talent.
                  once again agree very much with Marra.

Comment

• I agree it’s turning into a bit of a disaster for gb so far, and that’s with us going in with limited expectations.
                    dina most of us tipped for 1-2 medals and obviously is injured
                    We would have expected McColgan, sember, and at least one of the 800 guys to get to the final - possibly all 3 and one failed to even make semis. I think sember and an 800 guy were outside medal shouts.
                    I don’t know you’d have expected Jessie knight to make the final but go further than she did.
                    whilst the 100 guys probably got to the stages we’d have expected 3 false starts is unforgivable and suggests issues with coaching - whoever made the comment about them false starting to get a jump I thought was insightful
                    The only def Better than I expected results I can think of are daryll and alex bell, perhaps keely H. Oh and the mixed relay but I can’t get overly excited by that. Good to see tom Gale make the final and the two women long jumpers
                    this is definitely more euro u23s than euro u20s

Comment

• I thought , by the way, our 800m women ran somewhat better tactics, though maybe a little dangerous, Hope our top two do not do a "Giles" or a Rowden. If they do no medal chance , imo.. Rogers will sit and sit , Mu will try to run away from all in the last part of the race and Goule will be tough in the last 100m.

Comment

• Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post

A LOT of athletes who ran super quick times in either April, May or even early-mid June (the US Olympic Trials primarily) have been well short of those times/distances/throws so far in the actual Olympics. Of course, we're not even half way through the athletics program yet and there are plenty more athletes to see, but seeing the likes of Bromell flame out so limply, when he was coming off running 9.8 low in the Trials, seems pretty damning. Of course, we can't rule out the possibility of an injury-disrupted build up just before the Games (ala Dina), but it has been odd some of the under-performances from some of the big hitters coming into the games.

Then again, we saw Rojas absolutely smoke the triple jump WR and Warholm, Benjamin, Samba and Dos Santos are running well enough to further lower that WR too, so maybe it's just that some folks have come to these most unusual of Olympics better prepared than others.
                        Absolutely sums it up

Comment

Working...
                        X