Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tokyo Olympics 2020 - Athletics - Day 2 (Sat)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
    SAFP and Shericka don't look best pleased.
    I thought that too... not exactly delighted for their teammate or the team sweep.

Fantastic run . Thompson-Herah looked the goods right from the first round. And I reckon that's the "real" WR now.

Comment

• I will say this though... A fully fit Dina would likely have medalled. She was in 10.7 low shape this year. A silver or bronze at least.

Comment

• marra
        marra commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not convinced that she could go 10.6 but I agree that a 10.7-something was definitely there. Paris in 3 years it is...

• Occasional Hope
        Occasional Hope commented
        Editing a comment
        And two WCs in between.

• Sprintfan
        Sprintfan commented
        Editing a comment
        Have to agree with that. She looked great in the first fee races this year. As she said there plenty of time for her. Wouldn't have been surprised if she'd run 21.7 either

• SAFP didn't quite do the electric first 30m she has done in many of her gold medal runs.

Comment

• 🇯🇲 What a race. Elaine just outclassed SAFP. All three Jamaicans brilliant and Shericka Jackson closing like a train in the closing metres.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jogger
          Wonder what's up with the Jamaicans - very cold reacrion from Jackson and Fraser Pryce towards Thompson-Herah - do they not think she's legit or something?
          Could be a lot of disappointment at not getting a 3rd straight gold medal over 100 m.... And I don't think SAFP and Thompson have ever been best of friends anyway.

Comment

• Christy93
            Christy93 commented
            Editing a comment
            Jackson was cold too, and she trains with Elaine. There has to be something there...

• Daryll did amazingly well to make the final. Hopefully she can progress further.

Comment

• Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post

Could be a lot of disappointment at not getting a 3rd straight gold medal over 100 m.... And I don't think SAFP and Thompson have ever been best of friends anyway.
            Coe and Ovett never got on! Why should ETH and SAFP? Elaine was the young usurper. She is six years younger and won the last Olympics. Tougher to be friends when your main rival is your close compatriot, I would imagine.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
              Occasional Hope commented
              Editing a comment
              No, but you don't have to look quite so stone faced when your national team mate has just won and your country has done a clean sweep of the medals. Interesting that Shericka was the same as SAFP.

• jjimbojames
              jjimbojames commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes - SJ clearly being Team SAFP there!

• Speculation time from me now.... SAFP might hang on for the 2022 Commonwealth Games and World Championships. But I think she could hang up her spikes at the end of this year.

Also, Thompson-Herah's history of Achilles injuries could jump out at her after this triumph. So let's not assume that she will be dominating from now on.

Comment

• Interesting that Nieta expected more of herself - suggests she thought she’d run quicker than her PB. Bodes well for the relay, as we’ll need a step up from the girls to counter Diana’s issues

Comment

• Originally posted by LoveSprints1 View Post

Coe and Ovett never got on! Why should ETH and SAFP? Elaine was the young usurper. She is six years younger and won the last Olympics. Tougher to be friends when your main rival is your close compatriot, I would imagine.
                Exactly. Coe and Ovett were one of the most bitter rivalries in athletics history. And being from the same country and being the world's best middle distance runners of their era, it was always likely to be that way. SAFP and ETH are possibly the same way. Respectful of each other's abilities... and that's about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by sportsfan View Post
                  10.61 I would cal tha tthe real wor record 10.49 had a 5 plus wind!!! Brillian run!
                  World record for sure the 10.
                  49 was an
                  illegal wind reading of zero by a notorious drug cheat.
                  Well done Thompsom herah

Comment

• Originally posted by Jogger
                    A word for Daryll - she was never going to be up among the medals, and did well to reach the final. A pity that she didn't get closer to her new pb in the final, but a solid performance nonetheless.
                    Darryl can now believe in herself and be an example to others. DAS will be back for sure
                    If Thompson herah can win with her hamstringss so can DAS. Thinking eugene already
                    Dont think Richardsom would have won.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
                      MysteryBrick commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Agreed. Of course, Richardson will say Richardson would have won...

• Well we can see who rules the sprint for now - though who knows what the three years to Paris will bring ? I don't honestly think even a fit DAS could have challenged that - and I wonder if Richardson might think she was actually well out of it this year after all...

Comment

• Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
                      She needs to get her hamstring sorted (in retrospect maybe she should have gone for the operation straight away and jettisoned this Olympics) and hopefully can get herself back for next year.
                      Dinah will be up there in Eugene.

Comment

• Originally posted by Christy93 View Post
                        I'm liking new nations doing well in these sprints. Switzerland, Italy, Kenya. 10.12 SB for Reece, but I fear he is on the path to squandering his talent.
                        Loving seeing other nations especially a pb by the aussie number 1. I am happy I picked De grasse even though 3rd

Comment

Working...
                        X