Bauhaus Juniorengala (Mannheim, GER) 29 - 30 June 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LongStrider View Post
    Quite literally unbelievable from Amy Hunt! GB have their own Dafne Schippers!

Get her to Doha
    LOL, no chance she is going to Doha. Amy is all set for the Euro U-20's and that's it.

Also its worth keeping this in mind.... she wasn't even *selected* for the 200m because she didn't run it at the trials in Bedford last weekend!

(Will UKA give her a discretionary place on the longer sprint perhaps?)

Also also... if Amy is running 22.4's (I still can't believe I'm saying that about a 17 year old sprinter!) over the 200, what the HECK is she going to do over the 100m with hopefully just as favourable conditions in Boras in three weeks time?!?

Comment

• carterhatch
      carterhatch commented
      Editing a comment
      ...or indeed, if my Kathy Cook comparison holds, what young Amy might one day run over 400, but as I said, let her enjoy the moment.

I was exaggerating regarding Doha, but now i'm actually thinking about it.. why not? Forget her age, if she continues on this trajectory then it could serve as a life changing experience. It isn't like we're looking strong in depth over the 200.

Either way, very exciting stuff. Always get excited by taller sprinters especially when they have a lot of work to do technically - there's so much room there.

Comment

Quite lost in all the very obvious excitement surrounding Amy Hunt's extraordinary run today, there were some other notable British junior performances in the excellent conditions at Mannheim.

10 minutes before Amy's history-setting effort, the men's U-20's sprinters had themselves a whale of a time too. Grouped in the same heat together, Joe Ferguson, Praise Olatoke and Fergus Angus all ran big personal bests, with Ferguson and Olatoke both going under 21 seconds for the first time,clocking 20.76, 20.95 and 21.22 (+1.3 m/s) respectively.
      Ferguson goes to UK U-20 #1 over 200m this year with that run, with Olatoke going to 2nd and Angus slotting in at #4. Among European U-20's in 2019, Ferguson now ranks 2nd behind Ireland's Sexton, with Olatoke 3rd, though out of all those runners, only Olatoke will be running the 200m as in an individual capacity, having finished 2nd in those U-23/U-20 trials.

Back to the U-20 women's 200m, and coming in 4th place behind the jet-propelled Hunt, Holly Mills also set another personal best, clocking 24.13 to go along with her PB's in the 100m Hurdles and in the long jump where she jumped 6.51m in the third round, then passed the rest of her attempts to prepare for the 200m. Could this be *another* female multi-event talent on our hands?

In the third 200m heat, Hannah Kelly, who had looked impressive at Bedford last week but just missed out on a potential berth on the plane to Boras (she finished fourth in the final, smashed her personal best by nearly half a second with a 23.53 (+1.7 m/s) run, while teammate Jazmine Moss, who did finish in the top 3 in Bedford, also PB'd, with 23.93, just outside the UKA qualifying standard of 23.80.

In that same heat, 16 year old Rhasidat Adeleke from the Republic of Ireland and reigning European U-18 200m champion, ran a big season's best of 23.89 as well.

[Edit] Oh, missed this bit of info....

Holly Mills also recorded a PB in the javelin on day one of the Junior Gala, recording a best of 32.95m.... It should be noted that Mills has only started throwing the javelin this year.
      Last edited by RunUnlimited; 01-07-19, 12:55.

Comment

Working...
      X