Olympic betting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympic betting

In the 80s and 90s I used to generally win a few quid on every major champs. You could tell that the bookies weren't employing athletics experts and typically they would base their odds on SBs and PBs and previous champs medals and didn't seem to know who was in form or ran well in slow, tactical races. I read a while back that Mel Watman and Peter Matthews had been employed by bookies as an advisor from around the turn of the century and the odds never seemed as attractive after that.

Well, having just visited ladbrokes I can say with some confidence that neither Mr Watman nor Mr Matthews are currently advising them. I just put down small stakes in the hope I can win enough to pay for a night of beers. This time, however, if I don't win enough for beers plus a curry, I'll be very surprised. Have a look and fill your boots ;-).

Originally posted by Sovietvest View Post
    In the 80s and 90s I used to generally win a few quid on every major champs. You could tell that the bookies weren't employing athletics experts and typically they would base their odds on SBs and PBs and previous champs medals and didn't seem to know who was in form or ran well in slow, tactical races. I read a while back that Mel Watman and Peter Matthews had been employed by bookies as an advisor from around the turn of the century and the odds never seemed as attractive after that.

Well, having just visited ladbrokes I can say with some confidence that neither Mr Watman nor Mr Matthews are currently advising them. I just put down small stakes in the hope I can win enough to pay for a night of beers. This time, however, if I don't win enough for beers plus a curry, I'll be very surprised. Have a look and fill your boots ;-).
    i reckon that this year there are tough choices ; the odds on say Crouser or Duplantis would get you very little so if they are doing odds it will be on some hard choices.Middle and long distance for both men and women might be a little difficult. Did you see any enticing odds, Soviet,??

Comment

Originally posted by philipo View Post

i reckon that this year there are tough choices ; the odds on say Crouser or Duplantis would get you very little so if they are doing odds it will be on some hard choices.Middle and long distance for both men and women might be a little difficult. Did you see any enticing odds, Soviet,??
      yeah any tips appreciated, i normally like a decent accumulator through the week

Comment

Originally posted by philipo View Post

On Unibet the tall Mexican Lopez in the 800 is 13/1. I'm all in on this guy, especially given that no-one is dominating the event. Still improving and when he ran his 1:43.44 PB a few weeks ago there was no-one to push him in the last 200. Worth a punt?

Also Ruth Chepngetich 13/2 for the Marathon. Heavy favourite Brigid Kosgei hasn't looked great in her last 3 races (WA doesn't include a DNF she had late last year.)
        Last edited by LuckySpikes; 24-07-21, 04:12.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

On Unibet the tall Mexican Lopez in the 800 is 13/1. I'm all in on this guy, especially given that no-one is dominating the event. Still improving and when he ran his 1:43.44 PB a few weeks ago there was no-one to push him in the last 200. Worth a punt?
          Lopez does seem to fit the very definition of a dark horse worth keeping an eye on. There have been a few examples of men's 800 champs who hadn't run that many top level races at the distance against the other top performers. Juantorena in '76 and Ereng in '88 being among them.

Comment

It does look more likely to have some success in the events that are open and unpredictable. The pole vault and high jump quite often see upsets. Some sites have odds for a top 3 finish, but the majority only offer odds on winners, at least at the moment, perhaps that will change as we head into the second week. I’ve had a few quid on Zambrano and Josh Kerr is 7-1 to win a medal at Grosvenor

Comment

I’m glad someone started this thread! Wasn’t sure if it would be allowed.

I’ve placed the following with Coral, I’d be interested to see if you disagree in my thinking that some of these odds were rather generous, which I think you find sometimes on some of these sites!

Trayvon Brommel to NOT win the 100m @ 9/2.
              Nijel Amos to NOT win the 800m @ 9/4.
              Neither Gabbi Thomas, SMU or SAFP to win the 200m @ 4/1.

I’d have put some money on Ronnie Baker to win the 100m anyway.

Men’s 800 could go to one of many IMO.

I don’t think the women’s 200 bet will come in, but the fact it doesn’t include Dina or Elaine Thompson-Herah makes it at least intriguing.

Comment

• JamieSLA
                JamieSLA commented
                Editing a comment
                Laps, thanks for this - I contacted Coral and they kindly voided the bet for me.

• Laps
                Laps commented
                Editing a comment
                Excellent. I thought the way Coral set out the market was misleading.

• JamieSLA
                JamieSLA commented
                Editing a comment
                It was! It had an 'any of the below' feel about it with how it was set out.

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

Also Ruth Chepngetich 13/2 for the Marathon. Heavy favourite Brigid Kosgei hasn't looked great in her last 3 races (WA doesn't include a DNF she had late last year.)
              I have Lopez down for a medal. Looks a bit like clark kent. What a race that's going to be.Def worth a shot at 13/1.

Comment

Unibet now have odds for medaling too - click the 'Show more' links. Under the 'Performance' tab there's also odds for each of the favourites NOT to win.

https://www.unibet.co.uk/betting/spo.../olympic_games

Comment

• Laps
                  Laps commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Unibet is invariably the best place to look for Athletics prices.

I’m not a gambling man.

But I might have a tenner on Okoye to win at 80/1 or medal at 15/1.

Crouser’s rightly a big favourite for the shot, but I’ve seen worse odds than 13/2 for Kovacs and 8/1 for Walsh.

KJT 2nd favourite for the win at 5/2 and 11/50 to medal.

Comment

• Walsh7
                  Walsh7 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Anyone who bets on KJT to win a medal at those odds should get their head examined.

Originally posted by Ursus View Post
                I’m not a gambling man.

But I might have a tenner on Okoye to win at 80/1 or medal at 15/1.

Crouser’s rightly a big favourite for the shot, but I’ve seen worse odds than 13/2 for Kovacs and 8/1 for Walsh.

KJT 2nd favourite for the win at 5/2 and 11/50 to medal.
                Might want to bin any bets you made on Okoye there Ursus.....

Comment

• Ursus
                  Ursus commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow, do the bookies know what they’re talking about! Fortunately I didn’t end up parting with any hard earned.

Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post
                It does look more likely to have some success in the events that are open and unpredictable. The pole vault and high jump quite often see upsets. Some sites have odds for a top 3 finish, but the majority only offer odds on winners, at least at the moment, perhaps that will change as we head into the second week. I’ve had a few quid on Zambrano and Josh Kerr is 7-1 to win a medal at Grosvenor
                Well done treadwater.

Sadly I didn't come out ahead this time.

Comment

Working...
                X