Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SprintRelayFan
    replied
    Nice sport by sport summary here although I can’t see the gym as being right?
    https://twitter.com/samfr/status/142...236441088?s=21
    judging by this cycling escapes censure - of course it had a very good last few days - but rowing in trouble as well as canoeing

Leave a comment:

• SprintRelayFan
    commented on 's reply
    And comr 4th according to bbc

• alfie
    replied
    Lauren Price signed off the GB team effort with an emphatic win in the boxing ring. 2 g 2 s 2 b from 11 fighters ... vies with sailing ,cycling and equestrian as value for money , eh ? Not to forget Triathlon and Modern Pentathlon.

Looking back at the "gloom and doom" comments in the first few days might be amusing right now...

Leave a comment:

• RunUnlimited
    replied
    Gold #22 for GB arrives in the boxing, as Lauren Price easily handles her Chinese opponent from the opening bell, and dominates the rest of the way. With that, Great Britain have matched the medal total from London 2012.

Leave a comment:

• marra
    replied
    Jason owes Matt Glaetzer a beer. Was so worried about the Dutchman behind him he forgot about the Brit in front of him! Give a rider of Kenny's quality that kind of a gap and it's game over.

I've seen it happen in the sprint before (famously to Chris Hoy by Robert Forsterman at the 2010 WC) but it doesn't happen as often in the keirin. Delighted for Aziz Awang. Had a soft spot for him for a long time, not least after being in the building when he got a 20cm piece of wood straight through his leg. Was an image that'll stick with me for a long time!

Disappointing for Laura, she clearly had the form to win that but the scratch crash made it an uphill battle with no leeway.

Our worst velodrome performance since Athens and we still came out with 3G, 3S and 1B. Add in the BMX and MTB and British Cycling are the governing body responsible for the funding for 12 of our medals here, almost 20%.

Leave a comment:

• alfie
    replied
    Very tight for gold medal race with ROC : Bulgaria upset them in the rhythmic gymnastics. So GB still one ahead.

ROC are in the handball final. Price to box for GB in a hour or so. No added pressure then Lauren 😉

Leave a comment:

• Croadymeister
    replied
    Originally posted by alfie View Post
    Gold for Valente of USA ... well done her : got the lead after that first race and rode really cleverly thereafter to ensure victory. Locals will be delighted as Kajihara of Japan takes the silver...and Kirsten Wild signs off her Olympic career with a bronze.

Laura really had virtually no chance after that unfortunate multiple crash that marred the scratch race. But she made a bit of a statement , I thought , by emphatically taking the final sprint. Ends up 6th , 12 points off the medals. Take the title back in Paris ?
    Yeah elimination race made it a too bigger mountain for even the great Laura to climb,like you say getting involved in the crash also cost her crucial points as well

Leave a comment:

• alfie
    replied
    Gold for Valente of USA ... well done her : got the lead after that first race and rode really cleverly thereafter to ensure victory. Locals will be delighted as Kajihara of Japan takes the silver...and Kirsten Wild signs off her Olympic career with a bronze.

Laura really had virtually no chance after that unfortunate multiple crash that marred the scratch race. But she made a bit of a statement , I thought , by emphatically taking the final sprint. Ends up 6th , 12 points off the medals. Take the title back in Paris ?

Leave a comment:

• alfie
    replied
    Seven gold medals now. Up there with Steve Redgrave as greatest British Olympian ever ?

Leave a comment:

• Croadymeister
    replied
    Originally posted by alfie View Post
    That was almost unbelievable ! I've never seen anyone do that in an Olympic Keirin final ... brilliant move to completely wrong-foot the others : and a wonderful effort of speed to ride it out for three full laps...

That might just be Jason Kenney's most satisfying gold medal of all .
    Just stunning, will hold my hands up and admit I thought he was done at the top level earlier in this competition. He has well and truly made me eat my words.

Leave a comment:

• alfie
    replied
    That was almost unbelievable ! I've never seen anyone do that in an Olympic Keirin final ... brilliant move to completely wrong-foot the others : and a wonderful effort of speed to ride it out for three full laps...

That might just be Jason Kenney's most satisfying gold medal of all .

Leave a comment:

• Iain27
    replied
    Superbly ballsy ride from Jason to win the keirin

Leave a comment:

• alfie
    replied
    Not sure how Laura got caught out in that elimination race. She is normally foolproof in that one. Think that has done for her chances now , barring miracles. USA v Japan at the top...

Leave a comment:

• Iain27
    replied
    Laura out disappointingly early in the elimination race - a medal looks like a real lift now

Leave a comment:

• alfie
    replied
    Jason looked great in that semi. Could he do it again in the final ? Definite chance.

Laura fighting back but that wretched crash has really made her task enormous today. Been a bit of bad luck for GB cyclists here : Katy Marchant bulldozed out of the Keirin , men's pursuit hit from behind ...due a change of fortune ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X