Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Tokyo 2020 Non Athletics Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Well, the Aussies mess up the team sprint royally. What happened there?

    French took full advantage and did a good job there.

    And then Great Britain made the exact *same* error as the Dutch did. The team coordination just wasn't there for some reason. Would have been real tough to beat the Dutch in any case and they were the hot favourites. Another medal to the tally for Jason Kenny, this time a silver.
    Last edited by RunUnlimited; 03-08-21, 10:56.

    Comment


    • marra
      marra commented
      Editing a comment
      I think the errors for both GBR and AUS are mostly a result of riders operating on their limits. Lose a wheel and it's so difficult to get it back in such a short event and at the speeds they are going.

      The Dutch are so impressive in the sprints right now. Strong enough to swap a rider out and go even faster.

  • We're having no luck with DQs this time are we? From Rowden to Yeargin to the Danes. Come back CVC all is forgiven...

    Comment


    • A bit torn on that pursuit mess. Danes deserved to go through I guess - they had dominated the race. But in a lot of sports they would surely be DQd for dangerous riding. By bringing the British rider down they prevented the GB team from posting a time (OK they were not going to make the bronze final - but is that an excuse ?)

      GB would be ridiculously lucky to make the final on that but I'm not sure Denmark should get away with that .

      Comment


      • Whilst all the carnage was happening at the velodrome, Galal Yafai has guaranteed another medal in the boxing ring I see.

        Comment


        • alfie
          alfie commented
          Editing a comment
          Indeed he did. Impressively. Shouldn't have even been a split decision as he was all over his opponent. Beating a Cuban is always an achievement.

          If he can repeat that form he could do better than bronze I think

      • Anyway two silver medals so far . Could be worse , eh ?

        The Kenneys will get their individual campaigns under way soon...

        Comment


        • So much going on but in the last four hours since 06:00 GBR are

          2G 3S 1B

          Which on its own would place us 20th on the medals table, just ahead of....Denmark,

          We also have a boxing final coming up at 11:05 and the Women's 800m, of course.
          Last edited by Grassmarket; 03-08-21, 11:12.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Grassmarket View Post
            So much going on but in the last four hours since 06:00 GBR are

            2G 3S 1B

            Which on its own would place us 20th on the medals table, just ahead of....Denmark,
            When you are winning a number of medals a day equivalent to some nation's totals during the whole Olympics, you know that you're doing pretty well.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by RunUnlimited View Post

              When you are winning a number of medals a day equivalent to some nation's totals during the whole Olympics, you know that you're doing pretty well.
              It just make rowing look like even more of an outlier, and in need of thoroughgoing repair. Let's hope athletics can get itself together, otherwise we will be the ones getting fingers pointed.

              Simone Biles only second on her beam routine. I have been slated on other boards for saying it, but she has now ceased to be a sportsperson & has become the Truman Show.

              Comment


              • SprintRelayFan
                SprintRelayFan commented
                Editing a comment
                She was only 7th best in qualifying - although not all of the qualifiers are there. The Chinese own this apparatus! They had 3 of the top 5 in qualifying and 5 in the top 11! I think that will probably be good enough for bronze

              • SprintRelayFan
                SprintRelayFan commented
                Editing a comment
                And indeed Guan takes the gold with the last routine, but Biles finishes up with a hard fought medal.

            • The results site I am looking at shows Denmark in the final of the pursuit : but also carries a note that the result of the final heat is still pending due to the crash.

              Has it been finally settled or are the officials still wrangling ?

              Comment


              • Last of the gym finals coming up and could well be another Japanese gold as their athlete qualified in first position, some way ahead of Kazakh athlete. The Dutch athlete has got a 6.5 difficulty as well though so don't rule out the Dutch adding to their great day!

                ETA there is a pseudo Russian and an Australian in there for medal table watchers!
                Last edited by SprintRelayFan; 03-08-21, 12:06.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by alfie View Post
                  The results site I am looking at shows Denmark in the final of the pursuit : but also carries a note that the result of the final heat is still pending due to the crash.

                  Has it been finally settled or are the officials still wrangling ?
                  Ah I see now it is official. Think Denmark might be relieved - could easily have been booted for that , as I think their rider thought when he left the track. No joy for GB but in truth without Clancy they were struggling.

                  Comment


                  • the Russian scores a strong 14.533. Gold for Russia here would place them ahead of GB in the medals

                    Comment


                    • SprintRelayFan
                      SprintRelayFan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ooh! And the Croatian has gone into the lead! The Australian didn't score highly. The Japanese favourite is still to go

                  • Silver medal for McCormack. Still the best British boxing performance since 1920. They'll be eyeing the athletics cash...

                    Comment


                    • marra
                      marra commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The funding has already been set through Paris I believe.

                      Also BMX funding is included in cycling generally.

                    • SprintRelayFan
                      SprintRelayFan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ah ok thanks didn’t know any of that, just that thd bmx gold girl didn’t get any

                    • marra
                      marra commented
                      Editing a comment
                      There's a good story on BMX funding on the beeb - https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/58028734

                      From that it seems UK Sport had control over what British Cycling could fund (which seems counter productive) but BC was able to persuade them to allow BC to allocate some funding to support Shriever.

                      Highlights the problems with bureaucracy and also why cycling generally is one of our better performing teams - they tend to make very good choices to maximise their potential.

                  • Originally posted by SprintRelayFan View Post
                    Last of the gym finals coming up and could well be another Japanese gold as their athlete qualified in first position, some way ahead of Kazakh athlete. The Dutch athlete has got a 6.5 difficulty as well though so don't rule out the Dutch adding to their great day!

                    ETA there is a pseudo Russian and an Australian in there for medal table watchers!
                    As predicted a Japanese win, nice to way to end the Gym for them. The surprise package was the Croatian who secured a silver to equal their best ever gymnastics result

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Grassmarket View Post

                      It just make rowing look like even more of an outlier, and in need of thoroughgoing repair. Let's hope athletics can get itself together, otherwise we will be the ones getting fingers pointed.

                      Simone Biles only second on her beam routine. I have been slated on other boards for saying it, but she has now ceased to be a sportsperson & has become the Truman Show.
                      Hear hear. All media shit as always.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X