• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occasional Hope
    commented on 's reply
    Peaty is doing Strictly this autumn.

• Taffy2
    replied
    Any thoughts on which sports stars might call it a day after Tokyo. I can see Whitlock, Kenny , Guy , Daly and Glover calling it a day.

I think Peaty will take a break but come back.

Leave a comment:

• philipo
    replied
    Never understood this indifference for a great sport
    Now the OG is over I have massive delight to watch youtubes 3 hours plus coverage of the mens all round gymnastics. With such knowledgable commentary.
    Great

Leave a comment:

• trickstat
    replied
    Originally posted by philipo View Post

Well said Carter. By the way why is there no interest in Volleyball in this country? A great athletic team sport??
    Volleyball is an odd one. I do think that quite a large proportion of the British population have played it at some stage, mainly during a school lesson or on a beach somewhere, but only a very small percentage of those have ever played in a properly organised team or joined a club.

Leave a comment:

• philipo
    replied
    Originally posted by carterhatch View Post
    With the Tokyo Olympics now over, other sports are already vying to be included in future iterations.

[Search for ...]

Cricket in the Olympics: ICC to bid for sport's inclusion in Los Angeles 2028

Netball Australia intent on having their sport at Brisbane's Olympics in 2032

With skateboarding and speed climbing apparently now mandatory, as it keeps it real, bruv, then where will it end?

May I suggest that the IOC actually just franchise out their brand so that every internationally recognised sport (including mixed team knitting and non-binary tiddlywinks) can run an Olympic tournament, quadrennially, though not necessarily at the same time in a two week period, there, everyone will be happy!

See you in Paris.
    Well said Carter. By the way why is there no interest in Volleyball in this country? A great athletic team sport??

Leave a comment:

• marra
    replied
    Originally posted by Dundee42 View Post
    I believe that if winning a gold medal would not be seen as the ultimate achievement in your sport then it should not be there. Cricket, football, golf, tennis (and I'm an avid tennis fan) shouldn't be there when grand slams, golf majors, Ryder cups and world cups would be the biggest prize. Would rather squash or netball even were included.
    Whilst I understand that argument, the problem with that is that can become something og a self fulfilling prophecy. If your sport is a popular sport but isn't an Olympic sport already, how could winning Olympic gold ever become the ultimate achievement? Does that mean that we only keep the Olympics for sports that aren't popular?

Things change. Winning the T20 cricket world cup right now might be the biggest thing for those guys. But if they were given an Olympic berth, who is to say that in 10-20 years time that might not be seen as bigger? That's literally what has happened with rugby 7s, for example.

And the Ryder Cup is only relevent if you are in the US or Europe and the IOC has made no secret that they are trying to make the games a more global event.

Leave a comment:

• Dundee42
    replied
    I believe that if winning a gold medal would not be seen as the ultimate achievement in your sport then it should not be there. Cricket, football, golf, tennis (and I'm an avid tennis fan) shouldn't be there when grand slams, golf majors, Ryder cups and world cups would be the biggest prize. Would rather squash or netball even were included.

Leave a comment:

• marra
    replied
    Grassmarket - if we're banning sports because of a large number of expats or similar, Athletics will be quickly removed, given the large number of former Kenyans, Ethiopians or Jamaicans that find their way into national teams! Hell, half the English cricket team were either born abroad or are first generation children of expats. It's hardly a strong reason not to allow a sport.

Ladyloz - 27 of the 33 for me by your criteria. I accept I'm probably an outlier; I'm a sports obsessive.

As for quotas - that's the IOC choosing to limit things for no reason other than their own preference to limit the size. I'm not advocating for that - I've said elsewhere on the forum that my belief around the Olympics is that they should be expanded to allow more competitors in a true festival of sport. Not even limited to one city, but for a region/country to host precisely to reduce the costs to one city (depending on the size of the country obviously - California hosting a Games would be similar in scale to the UK hosting for example).

I would point out however, that the quotas for athletics are FAR more generous than they are in many other sports - there were more men in the steeplechase alone, for example, than there were skateboarders (both male and female) in their entirity. I'm not saying that there should be quotas at all, but athletics is not a sport that is hit hardest by them.

Finally, if we're talking about judging it by "what did people watch" and using that as a potential justification for whether a sport should be there - I'm not sure that the heats of something like the steeple are THAT much of a draw to TV spectators.

Leave a comment:

• Ladyloz
    commented on 's reply
    I think there is a danger that too many sports dilutes things. Be honest how many sports did you watch at least an hour or 2 of? For me I worked it out and it it would be 13 - that's 20 sports I either didn't watch or saw a very small amount of. Additional venues etc. places more burden on hosts too.

And in a 'be careful what you wish for' more sports means quotas get reduced for existing sports. The 50k Walk has been cut for Athletics for Paris and this time the quota for Multi Events was a pitiful 24. Just wait until the next suggestion is to cut other 'unfashionable' events like the Hammer and reducing all Field Events to 24 too.

• Grassmarket
    commented on 's reply
    Many of the countries listed as playing T20 have teams made up 100% of sub-Continental expats! Germany, Sweden, Spain, Switzerland etc etc.

• marra
    replied
    Cricket was in the 1900 Olympics, so presumably those who are opposed to the "trendy" sports can have no complaints about a sport that was in one of the first modern Games?

As for how many countries play it, the Men's T20 rankings have 82 countries ranked. For context, there are 110 rugby teams in the world ranking for that sport and I don't see many people complaining about that being there.

Personally, I don't see what problem people have with more Olympic sports. People watch the Olympics because it is seen as being the pinnacle of sporting success in most sports. Why wouldn't we want to encourage that to be the case for more sports? If it needs to be a month long to do so, it ends up a month long. Nobody really complains that the football world cup takes a month.

Leave a comment:

• philipo
    replied
    San marino top of the medal table with its medals and 30000 population but for me New Zealand are the best with 5 million people and 20 overall medals and 7 golds. well done to them.

Leave a comment:

• philipo
    replied
    16 sports in 1960; 33 sports in 2021; maybe 40 sports in Brisbane. IOC love it and now cricket is about to submit its request to be in the OG. Think of all those countries playing the game HaHa.!!×We could always add a couple of weeks to the Games schedule. The covid has undeniably addled the brains of sports fans.
    Get stuck in you darts players. Soon be your turn and the games players😄😄😄

Leave a comment:

• LoveSprints1
    commented on 's reply
    I loved the skateboarding, surfing and climbing. Found all exciting and yep athletic! As a netballer it would be great to see it in the Olympics. It’s an incredibly fast paced, exhilarating. game to watch - remember the 2018 Commonwealth Games Final where England snatched victory from Australia? Unfortunately the bid may not succeed as it is a predominantly female sport, though there are some mixed teams.

• Grassmarket
    commented on 's reply
    Missing a chance to gave cricket at Paris 2024. That would have been an epic troll.
Working...
X