X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    philipo

• philipo
    replied
    The so called progressives always shout out how progressive they are but nobody knows how many here or everywhere think the new so called sports are so frigging wonderful

Leave a comment:

• philipo

• philipo
    replied
    Originally posted by MysteryBrick View Post

I believe you have summed up the view of quite a few posters quite succinctly there.
    Marra I never said the words without worth
    You represent the fashionable bandwagon person that proliferates on social.media which this is
    The statements I make just indicate to me that the posters who now compare artistic gymnastics withe Bmx and skate boarders are just saying to themselves look at me I really am a progressive
    I suppose you all love the rock climbing as well
    Is every skill in the world worthy of being in the Olympics

NOT IN MY OPINION. After all I am not a self appointed progressive. How sad.

Leave a comment:

• marra

• marra
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, I'd agree and I'd extend that to diving, BMX and snowboarding as well. All are sports which rely on what I would call 'gymnastic' skill - ability to bend your body in weird shapes whilst flying through the air, with very real risk of serious injury if you get it wrong! All seems to share a similar age path as well - with teenagers/early 20s being common and those approaching 30 or older being the exception rather than the rule, unlike in many other sports.

Re hockey shoot outs, totally agree.
  • marra

• marra
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah I was the same, limiting to just one place on the podium.

I was pleasantly surprised - didn't expect that many, given that the Games are drawing to a close.
  • trickstat

• trickstat
    replied
    Aren't there quite a few similarities between gymnastics and skateboarding? At least on the female side anyway? Both feature girls who started doing it when they were about 5 or 6 years old and win Olympic medals at ages when you aren't allowed to compete internationally in athletics, where you have to be at least 16 by the end of the year.

Big day for Belgium in the men's hockey as they beat Australia in the shoot-out to add the Olymoic title to their world one. Apparently, it was their first gold in a team event since 1920 (when they hosted in Antwerp).

Do enjoy the hockey shoot-outs by the way, much more multi-faceted than football ones.

Leave a comment:

• drobbie

• drobbie
    commented on 's reply
    yeah i had a quick look through whats left earlier on and counted 20 medal chances for gb - i didnt count multiple athletes in the finals either
  • MysteryBrick

• MysteryBrick
    replied
    Originally posted by marra View Post
    Just because you don't like something doesn't mean that it is without worth.
    I believe you have summed up the view of quite a few posters quite succinctly there.

Leave a comment:

• marra

• marra
    replied
    E
    Originally posted by philipo View Post
    My sainted aunts ,comparing sublime gymnastics which can take 15 years or more to perfect with skate boarding or Bmx
    Probably the outstanding pferdmengers ever heard on this site๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ
    Where to even start on this....

EDIT - there's nothing wrong with anyone not liking a sport. We're all different.

But to be denying the very real athletic prowess on show, as some seem to be doing, is frankly just absurd. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean that it is without worth.

I'm going to ask anyone criticising the BMX or skateboarding to post video of them completing even ONE of the tricks on show. When they do that, maybe then we can discuss whether the criticism is fair.
    marra
    Last edited by marra; 05-08-21, 15:35.

Leave a comment:

• philipo

• philipo
    replied
    Those gymnasts start about six or seven years old,many of them. Some of those teenies doing acrobatics and after a few years in the Olympics. Talk about no accounting for others views

Leave a comment:

• philipo

• philipo
    replied
    My sainted aunts ,comparing sublime gymnastics which can take 15 years or more to perfect with skate boarding or Bmx
    Probably the outstanding pferdmengers ever heard on this site๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ

Leave a comment:

• marra

• marra
    replied
    So, continuing with my comparisons with past Games - we're up to our 5th (by gold) and =4th (by total medals) best tallies at Olympics. With the two guaranteed boxing medals to come, this will obviously go clear in 4th on its own.

By my reckoning, we have 38 athletes/teams still with their events to complete (including the 2 boxers). Of those 38, 20 of them (again, including the boxers) have a perfectly plausible medal chance - and that's not including people like Jodie Williams, Morgan Lake etc who have an outside shot. So getting to 60 is definitely still plausible.

Leave a comment:

• MysteryBrick

• MysteryBrick
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, it's the snowboarding in the winter that has now allowed the skateboarding and BMX into the summer. I'm not the biggest fan, but whatever, people enjoy it.

• Laps
    commented on 's reply
    It isnโ€™t different. There are lots of marked โ€˜routineโ€™ sports in the Summer and Winter Olympics. On snow and ice, in water, on bikes, on horses etc etc
  • marra

• marra
    commented on 's reply
    yeah, I was thinking of shooting and archery when I was typing that!
  • marra

• marra
    commented on 's reply
    It's a sport where people use their natural attributes/skills to pull off tricks - how is that different from, say, gymnastics?
Working...
X