Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trickstat
    replied
    Laura Kenny and Katie Archibald are going to emphatically win the inaugural women's Madison barring disaster.

Leave a comment:

• trickstat
    commented on 's reply
    I've read about Olympic modern pentathlons of the past held in countries where equestrianism isn't that strong and someone has won the showjumping purely because they drew the best horse in that country.

• Grassmarket
    replied
    Kate French does well in the swimming, 7th overall in one of her weaker events. On to the fencing bonus, going well in that too.

Leave a comment:

• alfie
    replied
    Olympic Boxing judging continues to confound me. I was astonished to see Lauren Price deemed behind on three cards after a first round she seemed to boss. Then she seemed to me to clearly lose the second ... but after a third round in which she battled hard but didn't totally dominate she ends up winning on a tie break decision from two of the judges ! Not complaining , mind 😊

Thought her Dutch opponent took the close decision against her much more graciously than a lot of losing fighters at these games πŸ‘

Price on to fight for gold...
    Last edited by alfie; 06-08-21, 07:34.

Leave a comment:

• Grassmarket
    replied
    Another boxing finalist - Lauren Price into the final of the women’s middle on Sunday!

Leave a comment:

• alfie
    commented on 's reply
    Are you allowed to bribe your horse with sugar lumps ? I guess not ...

Seriously it is the one part of the event that does represent a bit of a raffle. But hopefully all the horses on offer today are reasonably competent and don't wipe out anyone's chance to win by their own skills...

• alfie
    replied
    That hockey match was a ripper. First GB dominating , 2 up : then in five crazy minutes India up 3-2 ... Half time chat must have settled GB down and they came steadily back to take it 4-3 . A great achievement to get that bronze after a tournament in which they were unable to replicate the total triumph of Rio ; but in which they kept coming back from any setback and got their reward . Well played !

Indian players left devastated but they have much to proud of in 4th spot . Knocking out the highly fancied Aussies and fighting so hard in the medal rounds - they have put Indian women's hockey on the map - and closer to their men. (Who were , of course ,once dominant in the sport and in this games have put themselves back in the top bracket after a few quiet years. They have nothing to be ashamed of in losing that.

Now just remains to see whether Argentina can possibly upset the Dutch. Doubt they can but would rather like to see it happen after the rather unpleasant sniping at the British girls from some Dutch players after semi...

Leave a comment:

• Dundee42
    replied
    I love the modern pentathlon, it's compelling viewing

Leave a comment:

• Dundee42
    replied
    Bronze for the women's hockey team.

Leave a comment:

• Taffy2
    replied
    Beijing was the pits re the show hunting at modern pentathlon, it is a lottery. GB has real chances in this though.

Leave a comment:

• MysteryBrick
    commented on 's reply
    When they dropped pigeon racing, I was done.

• marra
    commented on 's reply
    The modern pent show jumping is car crash TV at its finest. As is the Madison at times.

• marra
    commented on 's reply
    I, for one, have not paid any attention to these progressive games since they made the ridiculous decision to drop the tug of war and art competitions.

• Grassmarket
    replied
    I think today could be a good day. Women hockey playing for Bronze. Good chances in the cycling, Women's Madison (Archibald & Kenny) & Men's Sprint. Kate French (ranked 6th after the fencing) praying for a friendly horse in the Modern Pentathlon Horror Show Jumping round. And the possibility of good athletics medals to finish, with a big dose of luck.

21:30 Athletics Men 50km Walk Medal Final
    02:00 Beach Volleyball Women Bronze Medal Final – LAT v SUI
    02:30 Women Hockey Bronze Medal Final GBR v IND
    03:00 Table Tennis Men Team Bronze Medal Final KOR v JPN
    03:00 Women Football Gold Medal Final SWE v CAN
    03:30 Beach Volleyball Women Gold Medal Final – AUS v USA
    07:05 Boxing Men Heavy Gold Medal Final
    08:30 Athletics Women 20km Walk Medal Final
    09:15 Track Cycling Women Madison Gold Medal Final
    10:15 Wrestling Men Freestyle 74kg Medal Matches
    10:15 Wrestling Men Freestyle 125kg Medal Matches
    10:35 Track Cycling Men Sprint Gold Medal Final
    11:00 Women Hockey Gold Medal Final NED v ARG
    11:30 Karate Men Kata Medal Final
    11:30 Modern Pentathlon Women Laser Run Medal Final
    11:30 Table Tennis Men Team Gold Medal Final CHN v GER
    12:00 Men Football Bronze Medal Final MEX v JPN
    12:40 Karate Women Kumite 61kg medal Final
    12:50 Athletics Women Javelin Medal Final
    12:50 Karate Men Kumite 75kg Medal Final
    12:55 Wrestling Women Freestyle 53kg Medal Matches
    13:00 Athletics Men 5000m Medal Final
    13:10 Sport climbing Women Combined Lead Medal Final
    13:35 Athletics Women 400m Medal Final
    13:50 Athletics Women 1500m Medal Final
    14:30 Athletics Women 4x100m Relay Medal Final
    14:50 Athletics Men 4x100m Relay Medal Final

Leave a comment:

• fchd
    replied
    The president of the IOC includes as part of the closing ceremony, an invitation to the youth of the world to assemble again in four years time.

What's wrong with including events that the youth of the world can easily feel a part of?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X