Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

European Athletics U20 Championships - Tallinn Estonia, 15th - 18th July (Day 4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European Athletics U20 Championships - Tallinn Estonia, 15th - 18th July (Day 4)

This is it, the final day.

Going to be lots of exciting action for sure, and hopefully a few more medal winning performances.

One of personal picks to look out for is Daniel Falode in the men's triple jump. Nobody on here mentioned his performance in qualifying... in just his *second* competition of the year, he jumped 15.67 (+1.1 m/s) on his opening attempt, and auto-qualified with room to spare. It was the 4th longest jump in qualifying and a big season's best for Falode, in fact, it was his best ever jump achieved outdoors, and his fourth best distance *ever*.
    Falode is definitely a medal contender - up until yesterday, his 15.90 lifetime best from last year's abbreviated indoor season was the best out of all the competitors featuring in Tallinn, only surpassed by Gabriel Wallmark's (Sweden) European leading jump of 16.01 m in qualifying.

The men's 4 x 400 m relay should be in the bag for GB, but as last week showed, anything could happen.

Duplicate thread nightmare! I have closed mine.

France first team to have a disaster, dead last. Poles set the Euro lead.

Here we go, Team GB…..

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
      SprintRelayFan commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice to see the Estonians get a junior record. I feel like I’ve not seen many Estonians!

• RunUnlimited
      RunUnlimited commented
      Editing a comment
      Disaster for Spain on 1st changeover and they are out. Great Britain with good changeovers and made it into the final. It'll be between Germany, Poland and Great Britain for the medals I feel.

Thanks, I must confess I missed him entirely! Given our sprint heroics you’d hope for more in the other two relays but junior relays….

Comment

Britain through, but well down on the Germans who set the fastest time.

Spanish are the ones left crying, tripped up on the first exchange.

Comment

I have a feeling that there have been periods of time when our senior 4x100 teams have been very disaster-prone while our U20 ones have been pretty reliable and other periods where it has been the other way around! I think we are more in one of the latter periods at the moment but fingers crossed!

Comment

Germany OUT of the men's 4 x 100 m relay! Disaster on the first change over!
          Last edited by RunUnlimited; 18-07-21, 09:03.

Comment

German men break down. Arguments break out.

Second heat disappointingly lacking in drama, national humiliation & fights. Italy & Netherlands through.

OK, fingers crossed.
            Last edited by Grassmarket; 18-07-21, 09:14.

Comment

Yes! Eight out of ten! Second change a bit slow, otherwise perfect.

Comment

Hmm... The 4 x 100 m championship record, indeed, even the overall European U20 record, could be under threat from the British quartet.

Comment

Wow. I keep crying at everything today! What was the team please?

Comment

• MysteryBrick
                    MysteryBrick commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Harding, Quainoo, Makoyawo, Wiltshire.

Either GB drop the baton or they win gold. It is an outstanding quartet.

Originally posted by SprintRelayFan View Post
                  Wow. I keep crying at everything today! What was the team please?
                  Joseph Harding, Jeriel Quainoo, Toby Makoyawo, Ethan Wiltshire.

Comment

Seems Germany took over the British relay hoodoo for those heats... GB quartet very impressive. Problem now is : do you mess with this well ordered group or bring in Kinlock for the final ?

Comment

• MysteryBrick
                      MysteryBrick commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Surely they'll have factored Kinlock into their plans? Harding was the only athlete where someone else on his leg (Zhoya) was obviously quicker. If they have confidence in Quainoo, Kinloch, Makoyawo, Wiltshire as a four they should go for that.

• trickstat
                      trickstat commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Also worth bearing in mind that there is never a 100% guarantee that a team that gets it right in a heat will also get it right in the final.

Harding is an interesting pick although I can see him being pretty quick. I am not sure if we have had another hurdler in a male U20 4x100 team at a Champs since Jon Ridgeon was in the team that won the first World Junior title in 1986.

Comment

If it ain't broke...no need to bring in Kinlock, I'd have thought, despite his heroics yesterday. What was the women's running order?

Comment

Thanks very much RU and MB

Comment

Working...
                        X