FEEDBACK NEEDED re specifics of our Olympic Prediction Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

Yes, this is a good point to recommend Top 6 over Top 8. The same applies for field event finals when the top 8 progress to the final 3 rounds. Some Top 6 predictions might be on a knife edge for 3 more rounds.
    Laps point is a strong one in so far as the the final becomes a significant choice .Actually makes the prediction tougher though.Lets do it for top 6 .Was thinking of McColgan who could be on the cusp of a top 6,7 or 8th place

Comment

Agree with top 6

And 2 sets of 24 events (medallists one set - winning mark in the other half)

Comment

Originally posted by philipo View Post

Not enamoured of having to predict the Walks medallists where there is a large numbers of walkers in the 3 events of whom . i know nothing .
        In my view, which may bother the walking fans, its practically impossible to use the relatively few events one sees, particularly in the womens 20K, to establish a consistent pattern of performers and, in addition, be aware which walkers represents the countries, such as Japan and China. I will close my eyes and have a stab at Tila, i suppose
        Ooh, I disagree strongly! The toughest to predict would be the Men's 50km Walk because, like marathon runners, they only compete 2 or 3 times a year at that distance. The Women's 20km Walk might be the easiest. There's not quite the depth that there is in the Men's 20km Walk and I could easily name you the top 15 or 20 Women's 20km performers, most of them pretty consistent and racing over that distance 4 to 6 times a year (quite a lot of which are live streamed, although sometimes not very easy to follow due to the number/positioning of cameras).

Anyway, the signs from the voting so far are that we'll be going with predicting the medalists in 24 events (no race walks!)
        Last edited by LuckySpikes; 12-07-21, 19:53.

Comment

Ooh, I disagree strongly! The toughest to predict would be the Men's 50km Walk because, like marathon runners, they only compete 2 or 3 times a year at that distance. The Women's 20km Walk might be the easiest. There's not quite the depth that there is in the Men's 20km Walk and I could easily name you the top 15 or 20 Women's 20km performers, most of them pretty consistent and racing over that distance 4 to 6 times a year (quite a lot of which are live streamed, although sometimes not very easy to follow due to the number/positioning of cameras).

Anyway, the signs from the voting so far are that we'll be going with predicting the medalists in 24 events (no race walks!)
          Lucky, you are clearly much more knowledgeable about the Walks, an element of athletics that always leaves me in considerable doubt.
          I always recall the italian who won one of the walks in Rome 1987 at the WC and the screen close up saw a clear example of breaking the rules and i just cannot get any pleasure from walks. Sorry.

Comment

great news !!

Comment

Loving the debate. Top 6 and 24 works for me and race walks should be included or additional to give them a platform.

Comment

Top 6 and 24 if I had it my way Thanks for putting this on once again! I have partaken in many over the years under old usernames I can't remember the passwords to lol

Comment

What cut off date for contest entries submissions do you intend, Lucky. I assume that you will make it a day or so before the track and field commences..
                  . I seem to recall on a previous contest for those athletes selected for doubles ,you allowed a reserve selection( top 4 ) in case of athletes changing their minds at the very last minute. will this be your position for Tokyo.?Example may be Hassan who likely wont make a decision till the last moment; entered for 3 events ,but says she will make a last minute choice.

Comment

Originally posted by philipo View Post
                    What cut off date for contest entries submissions do you intend, Lucky. I assume that you will make it a day or so before the track and field commences..
                    . I seem to recall on a previous contest for those athletes selected for doubles ,you allowed a reserve selection( top 4 ) in case of athletes changing their minds at the very last minute. will this be your position for Tokyo.?Example may be Hassan who likely wont make a decision till the last moment; entered for 3 events ,but says she will make a last minute choice.
                    The closing time for entries for the contest is always 5 or 10 minutes before the first (athletics) event starts on Day 1. That allows the maximum amount of time for people to edit their entries in the light of late significant withdrawals.

The only time I allowed an alternate choice was at Doha 2019 for the races Sifan Hassan was entered in, because she was p**sing about and leaving it to the last minute to decide which events she was doing. We'll have to repeat that if she does the same this time. Quite apart from messing us around , I don't agree with her tactics because, unless she does it in a timely fashion, she's denying an invitation to an athlete from another country to compete in the event she withdraws from.

If there are no other other athletes who look likely to withdraw from an event after the contest closing time, I'd allow it only for Hassan's events (if needs be). Otherwise, it gets too complicated and messy.

Comment

i hear you. thks for clarity.

Comment

Bumping this up in case there's anyone who wants their say but missed the thread.

Comment

Thanks , Lucky. Top 6 and 24 makes sense to me , as it seems most of us...

Comment

Are the final entry lists out yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
                              Are the final entry lists out yet?
                              I can't get on to the Olympic or Tokyo2020 sites at the moment, but the lists aren't final on the WA website ... e.g., Ethiopia still have 4 athletes listed for the Men's 3000SC.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
                                Occasional Hope commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Thanks. I was hoping to get a head start on my predictions, but no point if they're not final

I can't get on to the Olympic or Tokyo2020 sites at the moment, but the lists aren't final on the WA website ... e.g., Ethiopia still have 4 athletes listed for the Men's 3000SC.
                              Lucky when I looked over the weekend Ethiopia had 4 entrants for the long distance events. Must check the appropriate site this evening.

Comment

Working...
                              X