Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paps
    commented on 's reply
    It’s the 2nd highest tier, not the cheapest.

• Stew-Coach
    commented on 's reply
    Its interesting that they rate the oregon track also 4.5 same as the 1000 series, as the results from their last year were.... fast!!!

Personally from what ive seen of Beyvon, its performance is better than Mondo (main differences now being the strategic air pockets being used by Mondo to enhance performance)

• RunUnlimited
    replied
    Originally posted by Chafford1 View Post

The Olympic Stadium track was a state of the art Mondo track when it was installed for 2012, so not the same. The Birmingham track is the cheapest spec. Beynon performance track.
    To highlight this point, I took the opportunity to checkout Beynon's own company website, which has a page displaying the differences between the grades of track surfaces they have on offer.

https://beynonsports.com/en/products/detail/outdoor/

The key ones here are the BSS 1000 (the track surface used for the new Alexander Stadium) and the BSS 2000 RE (the track surfaces used at Hayward Field). It even shows you which other facilities have used the particular track product too.

I'll leave folks here to make their own interpretation of what they see.

Also, let's hold off judgement of the tracks' capabilities until we see what happens this Saturday in the Diamond League meeting, shall we? If the likes of Dalilah Muhammad, Omar McLeod, Dina Asher-Smith, Keely Hodgkinson and others can't get a tune out of it, then we can give the organizing committee a well deserved roasting.
    Last edited by RunUnlimited; 17-05-22, 15:27.

Leave a comment:

• Chafford1
    replied
    Originally posted by marilyn1 View Post
    For those that know these matters, is the track that was used for the Olympic Stadium the same spec as is used at Birmingham, or lower or faster??
    The Olympic Stadium track was a state of the art Mondo track when it was installed for 2012, so not the same. The Birmingham track is the cheapest spec. Beynon performance track.

Leave a comment:

• marilyn1
    replied
    For those that know these matters, is the track that was used for the Olympic Stadium the same spec as is used at Birmingham, or lower or faster??

Leave a comment:

• marilyn1
    replied
    so, presumably, every below par performance may be the fault of the track.😁

Leave a comment:

• marilyn1
    replied
    Is it a surprise.? No its not, very British in fact. Spent my life in the construction industry and I know only too well that every local authority in this country and central government also will always go for the cheap option which turns out to be most expensive in the long run... geniuses!.
    My greatest memory of L.A. stupidity is when the M62 to Hull was finished it was being repaired within a year or so, due to a lower spec than was necessary to save public money ...yeah.

Leave a comment:

• Chafford1
    replied
    The track issue at Alexander Stadium has been picked up by the Times this morning. Being framed as Birmingham City Council choosing a cut price option that is not up to Olympic standards. Birmingham has the cheaper Beynon BSS 1000 track whereas Eugene has the BSS 2000 track.The Times article suggests this might impact on UKA's potential decision to replace the London Stadium with Alexander Stadium as the main athletics stadium in the UK.
    Last edited by Chafford1; 16-05-22, 09:00.

Leave a comment:

• trickstat
    commented on 's reply
    I suspect the lack of a superfast service might be a consequence of Alexander Stadium's 'day job' being as the home track and training venue for Birchfield Harriers. Although I think Eugene has an equivalent role for Oregon University.

• Ladyloz
    commented on 's reply
    Although disappointing that Birmingham doesn't have the new super quick track that was in Tokyo and is in Eugene

• RunUnlimited
    replied
    Originally posted by carterhatch View Post
    While another thread discusses the fate of the London 'Olympic' stadium and its athletics legacy ... this link is an update from Apr 22 of the Alexander Stadium... and from the bird's eye view, the complex is looking very impressive.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threa...2051873/page-6
    Looking very, very good.

In future UK Championships (when they return from their temporary stay in Manchester), I'm predicting a fair few national records falling on that track.... the ever pernicious British weather permitting of course.

Leave a comment:

• carterhatch
    replied
    While another thread discusses the fate of the London 'Olympic' stadium and its athletics legacy ... this link is an update from Apr 22 of the Alexander Stadium... and from the bird's eye view, the complex is looking very impressive.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threa...2051873/page-6

Leave a comment:

• carterhatch
    commented on 's reply
    I agree with you 100% RunUnlimited - spent many hours at the Crystal Palace 'national centre' in my youth and it is a travesty how they have allowed it to decline. Upthread there was a poster signposting to a twitter site dedicated to its revival - I hope that the funds can be found.

• RunUnlimited
    commented on 's reply
    Looking very nice indeed.

This is what should be happening with the Crystal Palace athletics track and swimming pool facilities too.

• carterhatch
    replied
    A visual update of Alexander Stadium

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1493616324265881612

Looking very good - 1.53 has a great shot of the entire complex.

Does anyone know what they are constructing infront of the stadium seen from 1.06 -1.12 and again 1.44 - 1.46

They seem to have also squeezed in a seperate throws area best seen around 1.25 - good.

If they were to add a basic indoor 200m track/ facility in the park, maybe make that resevoir 'triathlon friendly', and a few outdoor gym peices then it would be a very impressive 'well-being park'.

Chapeau to all those involved.
    Last edited by carterhatch; 21-02-22, 10:47. Reason: I live next to Ally Pally and got my -er and -a mixed up...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X