European Athletics U23 Championships 2021 - Tallinn, Estonia - Day 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European Athletics U23 Championships 2021 - Tallinn, Estonia - Day 1

Since it's going to be a pretty early start tomorrow (7.45 am our time), I thought it was a good idea to open what will be the day-by-day coverage of the championships today, just in case I wake up late and miss some morning action.

Anyway, some pre-championship news... Holly Mills and Tade Ojora have been named as co-captains of the GB team. (Good choices)

Also, Jona Efoloko and Joe Briar, who were set to feature in the individual 200 m and 400 m in Tallinn, have both been called up to the GB Olympic relay squads and therefore, will not be in the European U23's.

The first British involvement on Day 1 will be in the women's 400 m as Yasmin Liverpool will line up in the 2nd heat. Then at around midday, one of the big medal hopefuls will start their quest as Holly Mills, along with Jodie Smith and Jade O'Dowda, begin the women's heptathlon with the 100m hurdles.

Oh I completely missed brier being called up. When did that happen?

Comment

Didn't someone say on another thread our u23 relay squad looked stronger than the senior one? Maybe someone from UKA was listening

Comment

(Not all happening on Day 1 !) ...

There's some big talents in the distances at these championships, a couple of whom I've already mentioned once or twice this year.

In the M 800 Javier Miron (ESP) has run 1:44.82, a second faster than the British lads.

Obviously there's Jake Heyward too. He'll face Elzan Bibic (SRB) who seems to have been around since forever. Not sure what form Bibic is in though, with only a 3:45 to his name this year (10s slower than his PB).

In the Women's Steeplechase France's 19 year-old Claire Palou is the hot favourite. Outside of African-born athletes and one Chinese athlete she's the fastest teenager ever with her 9:31.46 last month. That's a second or so faster than both Gesa Felicitas Krause and Anna Emilie Moller at the same age. Born on Boxing Day, Palou is just 6 days too old for the U20 championships.

In the 5000 Italy's Nadia Battocletti, the two-time European U20 XC Champion, has run 14:58 recently. Also in that race will be the other medalists from the 2019 Euro XC - Klara Lukan (SLO) and Mariana Machado (POR) though it's fair to say that Machado hasn't pushed on as much as Battocletti and Lukan have this year. Also Diane van Es (NED) has run 15:07 so should be in contention for the podium.

Italy will hope to have a golden weekend (and not just in the footie!). They also have #1 ranked athletes in Gaia Sabbatini (4:04.23, W 1500) & Alessandro Sibilio (48.96, M 400H) and the #2 ranked Dalia Kaddari (22.86, W 200) & Edoardo Scotti (45.21, M 400) as well as couple of #3 ranked athletes - Anna Arnaudo (10,000) & Veronica Zanon (TJ).
        Last edited by LuckySpikes; 07-07-21, 20:55.

Comment

• Occasional Hope
          Occasional Hope commented
          Editing a comment
          Is Heyward still going? I thought no one was doubling at this and the Olympics?

• LuckySpikes
          LuckySpikes commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, you're right. The 1500 heats are on Day 1 and he's not there.
          Last edited by LuckySpikes; 07-07-21, 20:53.

• RunUnlimited
          RunUnlimited commented
          Editing a comment
          @Occasional Hope

You are correct, Heyward is going to Tokyo. It's Tiarnan Crorken, Josh Lay and George Mills who will represent the U23's over the 1500 m in Tallinn.

Originally posted by SprintRelayFan View Post
        Oh I completely missed brier being called up. When did that happen?
        "Jona Efoloko has been called up to 4x100m relay squad for the Olympic Games with Joe Brier also headed to Tokyo as a travelling reserve in the 4x400m so neither will be competing in Tallinn."

Excerpt from here: https://www.britishathletics.org.uk/...championships/

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
          SprintRelayFan commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah thanks, I knew about Efoloko but not Brier. I'd have shoved Chris McAllister in and left Brier where he was personally.

Having a look at https://athletics.eurovisionsports.t...-championships there'll also be dedicated streams for field events.

Comment

Athletes from other countries are competing in the U23s and the Olympics. It seems unfair to prevent Brier and Efoloko from doing the same, since neither of them are likely to run in Tokyo unless something goes very badly wrong, and since they could probably cope with both anyway.

Comment

• MysteryBrick
            MysteryBrick commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I would have liked to see both run, as valuable experience (plus Efoloko was a real medal shout).

• marra
            marra commented
            Editing a comment
            Given the history of relays, if they have been withdrawn to allow for some team practise, I'm okay with it! Also the risk of injury/covid and all that as well, I guess.

• Ladyloz
            Ladyloz commented
            Editing a comment
            I suspect that there may be some 4x1 relay practice in the coming days as M&W events are on the programme at Gateshead so perhaps understandable Efoloko has been withdrawn. I think it would have been more beneficial for Joe Brier to run in Tallinn

Ugh, that’s a bit of a pest - no commentary, just the ambient sound.

Comment

Some very early action from Tallinn... World leader Jorinde Van Klinken manages to banish any lingering memories of her failure to qualify for the discus at the 2019 European U20's, where she was overwhelming favourite to win gold back then as well, with a comprehensive 2nd round throw over 61 m, well beyond the 55 m qualifying distance required, and she will contest the final in relative comfort.

Comment

Yasmin Liverpool manages to qualify for the semi finals of the 400 m, but as Stew-Coach coach alluded to in another thread previewing these championships, it looks like Liverpool is still not quite at 100% following the calf problems that she's had to battle recently. She came third in her heat, and we'll just have to see how she does when the semi finals start tomorrow.

Comment

Ah, we get commentary at last. Horrible stadium music was getting on my wick.

And now the stream disappears completely!
                Last edited by Grassmarket; 08-07-21, 08:51.

Comment

Into the men's 400 m heats now and Alex Haydock-Wilson, Great Britain's sole representative in the event since Joe Briar was called up as a travelling reserve for the Olympic 4 x 400 m squad, came 3rd in a tight opening heat, where the first 4 over the line finished within a tenth of a second of each other. The surprise winner of the heat was Ericsson Tavares of Portugal who before today's race, had never run under 47 seconds before(47.02). Here though, he knocked 4 tenths of a second from his PB to set a new lifetime best of 46.61... no wonder he looked so pleased at the end of the race.

All four go through automatically to the semi finals.
                  Last edited by RunUnlimited; 08-07-21, 09:04.

Comment

Switzerland's Ricky Petrucciani, made a bit of a statement in heat 2 of the 400 m. In the same heat was European U20 champion Edouardo Scotti of Italy, who is just behind the Swiss runner in the U23 rankings in 2021, but it was Petrucciani who was the clear victor here, winning in 45.95 to Scotti's 46.41.

Comment

Finally, the coverage has returned!

Comment

Stressful, that was more of a tactical run to simply conserve the calf more than an indication of form thankfully, though she did take far too easy, will need to strap the lower leg for tomorrows semi though

My connection now seems to be intermittent so missing whats now going on

Comment

Working...
                        X