• Show
Clear All

• SprintRelayFan
    commented on 's reply
    McLeod is out no?

• marra
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, definitely.

and that's not even mentioning McLeod, who isn't that far behind Holloway (I know GH did the super quick time at trials but, as mentioned above, it's tough to know how much that time was Holloway or the track, given how quick all the sprints were).

• marra
    commented on 's reply
    If we're doubting KJT on fitness grounds, think we have to with Thiam as well. In terms of the multi events, Warner is a much more clear favourite. However, there's just so much that can go wrong, between injury and mistakes, in those events that you can just never tell.

• Ursus
    replied
    Vetter obvs and Mondo. Crouser not far behind even though his competition is much stronger.

Thiam if Kat isn’t firing, which unfortunately I doubt she will be.

In the coldest faces in Tokyo the GB m4x400m.

Leave a comment:

• MysteryBrick
    commented on 's reply
    I agree with that assessment. Talking about Holloway, for example, I don't think you can ever talk about a prohibitive favourite in the 110m hurdles, there's too much opportunity for catastrophe.

• marra
    replied
    If we're talking who is clearly the favourite in their event, then Vetter is on a different level to everyone else. Almost 7m further than anyone else has thrown this year.

Then you have:

Crouser
    Mondo
    Rojas

All 3 are not quite as far ahead as Vetter, but comfortably ahead of the field and have the top 4/5 distances this year to themselves.

There are other events with people who I would say are almost certain to medal, but not so dominant that they can afford to have a slight off day in the way that the above could (the likes of McLoughlin, Warholm, Holloway). Each of them has a competitor (or 2) who is certainly close enough to take advantage if they aren't at their very best.

The sprints are a weird one. Between the different weather/track conditions and the fact that we've not seen some of the top athletes against each other much yet etc, I'm not convinced yet that the gaps that times would suggest are as large as they look on paper.

I'm not including relays because we've seen too often how even the best teams can mess up getting the baton round.

Leave a comment:

• philipo
    replied
    I knew I forgot somebody.. Mondo no. 1

Leave a comment:

• Occasional Hope
    replied
    Vetter
    Crouser
    Sydney Mclaughlin
    Warholm
    SAFP
    Hassan if she does the 1500 (her other potential events she has more competition)
    Miller-Uibo if she does the 400
    Jamaica women's 4 x1
    Duplantis

Leave a comment:

• philipo
    replied
    Start with Vetter, Crouser , Holloway,Warholm or anyone else

Leave a comment:

• philipo
    started a topic hottest faces in Tokyo

hottest faces in Tokyo

Who are th e hottest favourites for the track and field events in Tokyo