Who are th e hottest favourites for the track and field events in Tokyo

Start with Vetter, Crouser , Holloway,Warholm or anyone else

Comment

Vetter
      Crouser
      Sydney Mclaughlin
      Warholm
      SAFP
      Hassan if she does the 1500 (her other potential events she has more competition)
      Miller-Uibo if she does the 400
      Jamaica women's 4 x1
      Duplantis

Comment

• Pierre Johansson
        Pierre Johansson commented
        Editing a comment
        Although I don't consider him Swedish, Duplantis is unbeatable unless Braz (again) or Kendricks shows up with an unbelievable peak form at the Olympics and Duplantis is not 100%.

Daniel Ståhl deserves to be the big favourite. I'd be surprised if he loses. (Montler (M long jump) and Karlström (M 20 km walk) the only other possible Swedish medalists IMO)

Vetter has been awesome this season, but the javelin has produced some big surprises over the last decade and Vetter has "only" won one major championship.

• Occasional Hope
        Occasional Hope commented
        Editing a comment
        Kendricks hasn't looked as close to Duplantis this year.

• Pierre Johansson
        Pierre Johansson commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed. Like I said, if Duplantis is 100%, the others are toast. Kendricks has only beaten Duplantis once this season.

I knew I forgot somebody.. Mondo no. 1

Comment

If we're talking who is clearly the favourite in their event, then Vetter is on a different level to everyone else. Almost 7m further than anyone else has thrown this year.

Then you have:

Crouser
        Mondo
        Rojas

All 3 are not quite as far ahead as Vetter, but comfortably ahead of the field and have the top 4/5 distances this year to themselves.

There are other events with people who I would say are almost certain to medal, but not so dominant that they can afford to have a slight off day in the way that the above could (the likes of McLoughlin, Warholm, Holloway). Each of them has a competitor (or 2) who is certainly close enough to take advantage if they aren't at their very best.

The sprints are a weird one. Between the different weather/track conditions and the fact that we've not seen some of the top athletes against each other much yet etc, I'm not convinced yet that the gaps that times would suggest are as large as they look on paper.

I'm not including relays because we've seen too often how even the best teams can mess up getting the baton round.

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
          SprintRelayFan commented
          Editing a comment
          McLeod is out no?

• marra
          marra commented
          Editing a comment
          Is he? Does Jamaica have the same system as the US? Ouch for him if it does.

• SprintRelayFan
          SprintRelayFan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, standard practice is top 3. He hoped they'd make an exception...they didn't.

Vetter obvs and Mondo. Crouser not far behind even though his competition is much stronger.

Thiam if Kat isn’t firing, which unfortunately I doubt she will be.

In the coldest faces in Tokyo the GB m4x400m.

Comment

• marra
          marra commented
          Editing a comment
          If we're doubting KJT on fitness grounds, think we have to with Thiam as well. In terms of the multi events, Warner is a much more clear favourite. However, there's just so much that can go wrong, between injury and mistakes, in those events that you can just never tell.

Originally posted by Ursus View Post
        In the coldest faces in Tokyo the GB m4x400m.
        Now that's just mocking the unfortunate

Comment

Vetter for me has the greatest margin of error. However, things can go wrong at a champs in the javelin. I think it was the 1991 Worlds where both Backley and Zelezny failed to qualify is an extreme example.

Of course, Crouser is a strong favourite too, but if he puts 60cm below his WR, Kovacs and Walsh will have a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Occasional Hope View Post
            Vetter
            Crouser
            Sydney Mclaughlin
            Warholm
            SAFP
            Hassan if she does the 1500 (her other potential events she has more competition)
            Miller-Uibo if she does the 400
            Jamaica women's 4 x1
            Duplantis
            I would add Fast Elaine and Athing Mu to this list (along with the Duplantis ommission)

Comment

• SprintRelayFan
              SprintRelayFan commented
              Editing a comment
              Really? Elaine for gold or just a medal? I'd be astonished if the G+S in 100 don't go to Jamaica....but not sure which way!

• Walsh7
              Walsh7 commented
              Editing a comment
              The single biggest favorite in Tokyo is Rojas in the women's triple jump. Nobody in that field will be within a half a meter of her. Give her the Gold Medal now!

• Occasional Hope
              Occasional Hope commented
              Editing a comment
              I didn't include Mu because, extraordinary talent though she is, there are faster women this year. And she may not be at her best in a rough race. Her only loss this year was in an indoor 400 which was a bit physical iirc.

Vetter, Crouser, Duplantis, Miller Uibo in the 400m.

However, Duplantis in particular faces the issue that even the biggest favourites in paper can have issues on the day. A lot can go wrong in the pole vault for example.

Comment

Originally posted by trickstat View Post
              Vetter for me has the greatest margin of error. However, things can go wrong at a champs in the javelin. I think it was the 1991 Worlds where both Backley and Zelezny failed to qualify is an extreme example.
              In Backley’s case only weeks after he’d thrown 90 at the Palace. Oh for London to have a dedicated athletics stadium.....

Anyhow after Vetter’s 85m blip in Gateshead he could only manage 86 a few days later in Germany. Still pretty good, but not where he was at a couple of months ago. Keeping his powder dry or a chink of light for others?

Comment

Your comments about a London Stadium resonate strongly. The failure for a major world city not having a quality stadium for athletics is a f*cling disgrace and all done underhand. Dont hear owt from Coe☹☹☹

Comment

• MysteryBrick
                  MysteryBrick commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Letting Crystal Palace rot was moronic.

• SprintRelayFan
                  SprintRelayFan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  West Ham must be on the knees thanking god every day for the deal they got that stadium for
              Working...
              X