England U20/U23 and European qualifying champs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post
    .Let’s hope the media and the athletics community don’t put too much pressure on Burgin, but wow he does look a real find. I don’t think he or his team (or BA for that matter) will countenance going to Doha. I notice on his power of 10 that he doesn’t race too much, just 10 800s last season and lots of cross country, a good sign. All his standout runs have been dominant front runs so I look forward to seeing him racing against athletes that can test him.

Some good 400s today, Anning continues to impress

Pretty much every sprint race was into a headwind this weekend, are we too hung up in this country on running down the home straight. If the wind is constantly a problem why not run down the back straight or run the opposite way down the home straight. They change the direction of the long jump without batting an eyelid. Some athletes will have missed out on qualification this weekend because of it.
    Anybody who watched the NCAA Div I Finals last month will surely have noticed the number of times the officials had the 100m and 200m run in "reverse" whenever the wind was blowing unfavourably. Here, the officials stuck rigidly to the "rules" and let the sprinters run into some fierce headwinds. At least the U-20's have some leeway and time to get qualification standards before the cutoff point. The U-23's that finished on the podium but didn't get the standard got screwed though, because the deadline for them is tomorrow midnight. Baldizar and Harries got lucky that the wind abated in their final just enough for them to get the times they needed when they finished 1-2.

Comment

• trickstat
      trickstat commented
      Editing a comment
      To be fair to the officials, this would be impossible to arrange 'on the day' as you would need to have a second photo finish camera set up by the 200m start so you would have to plan for it beforehand. There is also the risk that you end up with following winds of over 2.0m/s which would be no good for qualifying either. It is more usual at Bedford for the sprints to have 'illegal' tailwinds.

Originally posted by treadwater1 View Post
    .Let’s hope the media and the athletics community don’t put too much pressure on Burgin, but wow he does look a real find. I don’t think he or his team (or BA for that matter) will countenance going to Doha. I notice on his power of 10 that he doesn’t race too much, just 10 800s last season and lots of cross country, a good sign. All his standout runs have been dominant front runs so I look forward to seeing him racing against athletes that can test him.
    Yes, but you just know that Crammy et al will be hyping him to to the heavens come British Champs time. However, that is small beer compared to the USA. Has there ever been so much expectation/pressure on a 16/17yo distance runner as there is on Katelyn Tuohy?? Maybe there was for Mary Cain (?) but in the intervening 4-5 years the US coverage of elite High School athletics has ramped up another 100%. It's all a bit bonkers how much stock they put in it..

And yes RunUnlimited, easy for Ben Pattison's fabulous run to get ignored there. But, well done that lad! As you say, sans Max Burgin, it would have been a headline-making performance.
    Last edited by LuckySpikes; 24-06-19, 00:00.

Comment

• trickstat
      trickstat commented
      Editing a comment
      I remember Crammy first really came to national attention with a world age 16 1500 best in 1977 so he is a fairly rare example of a 'prodigy' who made it to the upper echelons of world-class.

Pattison's run pushes Chris McGeorge's time from 1981 out of the all-time top 10. Also Finlay McLear ran 1:47.33 which just missed the previous CBP and, according to the EAA website, puts him 3rd U20 in Europe.In fact, Alex Botterill's 1:48.55 and Oliver Carvell 1:48.91 would usually be considered decent times in an Under 20 nationals. McLear is a former English Schools' 1500 steeplechase champion whose best 800 before this year was 1:54.61, a time both Burgin and Pattison beat at 14! Pattison then only ran one 800m race in the next 2 season as he concentrated on 400m. I think the prospect of Pattison in a 4x400 is quite exciting..

I remember in the years just after Coe (and to some extent Cram, Ovett and Elliott) retired/faded from the scene that the media would label various athletes as the "next Seb Coe". I think Curtis Robb, the late Mark Sesay and Tom Lerwill all experienced this to some degree. Over the last 20 years or so, the media seems to have stopped obsessing over whether we can ever produce another superstar male middle-distance runner. I think this may be partly because the passing of time has shown just how exceptional the period from the late 70s onwards actually was. However, Max Burgin's performances are of a different level to anyone we've had in that time.

Comment

• carterhatch
      carterhatch commented
      Editing a comment
      or indeed Steve Crabb, from my then local club, which gives you a clue to my username ... If only we could let the lad Burgin develop out of the spotlight, but it is unlikely to happen, yet from the post race interview he came across mature beyond his years, I think only just turned 17, and with his father as coach, (as well as grandfather involved it seems) the parallels with Coe are uncanny ...

• trickstat
      trickstat commented
      Editing a comment
      About 5 years or so ago, I kept seeing a guy who I thought looked a lot like Steve Crabb spectating at local meetings in Hertfordshire. Turns out that it was him as his step-daughter was competing for a local club.

Double for Lewis Byng. 18.94 to win the U20 and 17.16 with the senior impliment to win the U23.

Comment

I got to say, I enjoyed the fact the BBC were actually showing the U-23/U-20 Championships last weekend, giving that level of athletics a level of exposure that's likely never had before.

If they decide to do so again next year, I'd hope that they will bring some of their own cameras and equipment to Bedford so that they can give a more comprehensive level of coverage than what Vinco/runjumpthrow have available to them. Imagine, a weekend of top class athletics coverage, featuring the potential stars of GB's future athletics program, that *doesn't* have the long interruptions and useless "talking heads" taking time away from viewers see the important stuff. And getting to see plenty of field event action too! (BBC, get some dedicated cameras for the long/triple jump pit, the high jump and pole vault beds, and some on the in-field to get the javelin/hammer/shot put action)

Comment

RunUnlimited

I agree with what you say about the coverage by the BBC, I thought Rob Walker's commentary was enjoyable, and the contribution by Bosworth well informed. I have been very critical of the BBC's coverage, but having no 'talking heads' was a relief ...

I would add that your own coverage with timely emails was very useful, cheers

Comment

Working...
        X