No announcement yet.

Chips off the old block - Children of the great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another no longer on the scene is Adam Cotton, the 2011 European U20 1500m champion, whose mother is the former Mary Stewart (Commonwealth and Euro indoor 1500 champ) and whose uncles are Ian Stewart (Olympic 5000 medallist, Commonwealth champion & World cross-country champ) and Peter Stewart (former UK mile record holder).

Comment

Almi Nerurkar, daughter of marathoner Richard. Almi's progression has been stalled this season by Long Covid but she was the no.1 U20 over 5000m last year and number 2 over 3000m. At 12 she ran a 36.49 10k in Portugal ! Presently at Leeds university, she's in the talent hub.

Comment

Matt Centrowitz - father and son. Granted, Matt Sr. wasn't a "great", but still.

Comment

In post #5 I misunderstood the thread I think ... Children of the Great ...

Anyway, in the 5000 at the U20s in Tallinn we'll see Angela Viciosa (16:26 PB), daughter of Isaac Viciosa, the 1998 European 5000m Champion and the first European to run sub-7:30 for the 3000.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
            In post #5 I misunderstood the thread I think ... Children of the Great ...

Anyway, in the 5000 at the U20s in Tallinn we'll see Angela Viciosa (16:26 PB), daughter of Isaac Viciosa, the 1998 European 5000m Champion and the first European to run sub-7:30 for the 3000.
            She was in the U23a wasn’t she? Was going to post but did not get the name of her parent.

Comment

Originally posted by Grassmarket View Post

She was in the U23a wasn’t she? Was going to post but did not get the name of her parent.
              That was Carmen Viciosa who just missed making the Steeple final. Both her and Angela compete for the Atletaria Isaac Viciosa club. I don't know if they're sisters but of the 2 only Angela's biographical entry on the European Athletics website says that she's the daughter of Isaac.

Comment

• Grassmarket
                Grassmarket commented
                Editing a comment
                Ok, I think they must be sisters, because the Comms did mention it last week but I wasn’t paying attention. Unless there is more than one famous Spanish middle-distance runner called Viciosa who has a promising daughter.

• LuckySpikes
                LuckySpikes commented
                Editing a comment
                Ah, OK. They are sisters then because Isaac is the only famous running Viciosa.

• trickstat
                trickstat commented
                Editing a comment
                Apparently there is a third Viciosa sister running very good times for a 14 year old.

Just seen an Angelina Topic clear a height in the high jump qualification competition. I'm sure you fine folks recognize the Topic surname... She is indeed the 15 year old daughter of co-holder of the European U20 high jump record (along with our own Steve Smith), Dragutin Topic, the 1990 European champion.

Comment

• trickstat
                trickstat commented
                Editing a comment
                I think daddy Topic may be unique as he also holds world bests for over 35 and over 40 age-groups. I think mummy Topic was an international triple jumper.

Children of the quite good if not great pole vaulters:

Sophie Ashurst competing in the U20s is daughter of Andy a multiple UK champion. He’s also her coach.

Tilly Hooper who has a 4.20 PB is the daughter of Brian renowned for his Superstars exploits as much as his vaulting.

Comment

Youri Sedykh, arguably the greatest Hammer Thrower ever, has two daughters who also throw the Hammer...

Alexia, whose mother is World Shot Record holder Natalya Lisovskaya, threw over 70m.

Oksana Kondratyeva 77.13m. Her mother is former Olympic 100m Champion Lyudmila Kondratyeva.

Comment

• Ursus
                Ursus commented
                Editing a comment
                Welcome (back?) to the forum Malcolm.

That reminds me, Sergei Litvinov jnr was also pretty handy in the hammer circle with an 80m PB.

Leroy Burrell mentioned yet? Married an OG gold medalist in the 4x100, son Cameron has a 9.93 clocking and sister Dawn was a world indoor champ in the LJ with a 6.98 PB.

Sadly the Brightwell / Packer marriage only managed to spawn a couple of pro footballers, although their other son was a reasonable 400m runner.

And sitting in 106th place in our all time decathlon rankings is Adrian Hemery whose Dad was unquestionably great.

Comment

• carterhatch
                carterhatch commented
                Editing a comment
                talking of decathlon ... Has anyone mentioned the son of our greatest exponent of that event.... Elliott Thompson, who I believe is currently active ... or son(s) of another one of our all time greats, Sally Gunnell, the young, and younger, Bigg brothers...
                Last edited by carterhatch; 16-07-21, 11:19.

carterhatch Elliot Thompson had passed me by - talk of impossible shoes to fill in terms of achievement and personality. Feel as sorry for him as Liam Botham! Still a teenager but just the 1,700 points to catch up with Dad……

I mentioned Luca Bigg and his Mum earlier in the thread.

Really am on Google now but Jacques Borlee was a European Indoor medalist over 200m. Sons weren’t too bad over the outdoor lap.

Comment

• carterhatch
                carterhatch commented
                Editing a comment
                Re: Bigg Jr. sorry, Ursus, been flitting in-and -out of this thread so missed the reference... Re: Thompson, 'still a teenager', I thought he, Elliot, was in his late 20s....

Originally posted by Ursus View Post
              carterhatch Elliot Thompson had passed me by - talk of impossible shoes to fill in terms of achievement and personality. Feel as sorry for him as Liam Botham! Still a teenager but just the 1,700 points to catch up with Dad……

I mentioned Luca Bigg and his Mum earlier in the thread.

Really am on Google now but Jacques Borlee was a European Indoor medalist over 200m. Sons weren’t too bad over the outdoor lap.
              Everyone forgets that only one Borlee got an Olympic Gold medal & it wasn’t a son!

Comment

Oops very bad Thompson maths on my part. Can tell why I’m not an accountant or actuary…..

Comment

• jjimbojames
                  jjimbojames commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think you might be thinking of Alex (younger son, probably around 19 now) a decent athlete but lost to rugby these days!

One of the favourites for the men's PV at the Euro U20s is Mattvey Volkov of Belarus whose father Konstantin was an Olympic PV medallist in 1980.
                Last edited by trickstat; 18-07-21, 16:08.

Comment

Can’t believe I forgot Voldemars Lusis who went to 4 globals in the spear with a best finish of 11th in Edmonton. Not only was his Dad Janis one of the greatest throwers of all time (2 world records, 4 x Euro champion, and full set of Olympic medals inc Gold in Mexico) but his Mum Elvira Olozina won the spear in the Rome Olympics.

The silver medalist behind Lusis in Mexico was Jorma Kinunnen who went on to break the WR the following year. Son Kimmo was world champion in the spear in Tokyo 91 and took silver in Stuttgart 93.

Comment

Working...
                  X